Aircraft Cleaning

Ok, so this is kind of a dumb question but how does one go about washing ones airplane?  Right now I am based at Wichita Mid Continent and I dont see a hose or a wash station.....do the airports that you keep your planes have a place to wash your planes?  Also what kind of wash and wax do you use?  My wife is already busting my balls about the bugs on the wings and cowl....

I use Arrow-Magnolia Carbon-X (mixed in a sqart bottle with water), (I gallon lasts forever) and a cotton towel.  Spray on plane and wipe.  Does an awesome job of cutting oil off belly too.  I use Top Gun Ultra Finish wax.  Easy to apply and remove...I hear it works well on balls too.  Maybe after she busts 'em she can clean 'em up...

Word of caution using "automotive" wash products as they have phosphates and alkali's to cut the dirt and grease well, but they are corrosive to aluminum.  Even though you give the aircraft a good or even great rinse followed by hand drying, what doesnt come out is the water/soap drawn in through capillary action into all of the seams and rivets... 

If the aircraft is left outside in the weather, then there are reasons to wet wash and also at least once a year to use a polishing cleaner followed by a good wax.  But otherwise, just use a "dry" cleaner such as found at the supply house web pages.  I am continually amazed at how complete WashWax All (both Red and Blue) clean.  It truly is spray and wipe clean.  The Red is the degreaser and I kick myself I did not use it years ago and saved all of that time lying on my back.  And not to push a specific product because i use a few different ones: NuPol to take off oxidation and leaves a polish, Simple Green Extreme to wet wash dilute soap (only once a year) the gear and wheel wells, Top Gun Ultra Finish wax or Arrow Magnolia Wax, and Maguire plastic cleaner and Maguire polish for the plexi.

Keep it simple and stay away from auto products...

1st - Congratulations on purchasing your new airplane!! You'll have to take George flying when he's back stateside.

If my plane is really dirty I take it to the wash rack at my airport and "do the dead", then a coat of McGuires. I do this twice a year regardless.

But after every flight or two I clean it up with this product:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/washwax.php

It takes the bugs off easily and leaves a nice clean surface with a light coat of wax - nice shinny finish. 1 1-gal bottle will last me almost 1 year. They also make a stronger degreaser for the belly if you need it.

For anything more than a very light layer of dirt/dust, I will wash the glass with a hose and a lot of soapy water. Pushing dirt across the glass will scratch it. If it's just after a couple of flights and I just need to remove the bugs and a light coat of dust, I've always used Plexus, but a number of my friends are using Lemon Pledge. I've tried the Lemon Pledge but it doesn't remove the caked on bugs as well as Plexus.

Wash & Wax All is definitely the way to go. Quick and easy, but there's enough sheet metal to equal several cars. Renew whenever it looks bad, no longer feels slick, or it's hard to get bugs off the leading edges.

I use wipes called "mirafiber" for my post-flight bug elimination. Uses only water, and will last for at least two years of my use. Rinse it out occasionally. It travels well in a sandwich bag when you're on the road so you can keep her clean. No chemicals to buy . . .