Why the big price difference?

Lood

Apart from the fact that Lasar probably has stock while SWTA don't, why would there be a price difference of more than $1k between their 201 windshield mods? I'd like to take advantage of the current exchange rate, either in doing a few mods on my F or maybe even buying a M20J in the US.Cool

Quote: Lood

Apart from the fact that Lasar probably has stock while SWTA don't, why would there be a price difference of more than $1k between their 201 windshield mods? I'd like to take advantage of the current exchange rate, either in doing a few mods on my F or maybe even buying a M20J in the US.Cool

I actually ment between the two major companies selling the mod:

Lasar = $2175
SWTA= $995

I agree that there are small differences between the two - SWTA's mod sports the access panels for instance, but otherwise they look pretty much the same when installed.

FYI, I've been wanting to do the SWTA mod for quite some time (since it's so much less $ than the LASAR mod) but SWTA is out of glass (and has been for more than a year, I believe) so SWTA is not an option at the moment. Maybe if enough of us line up at SWTA they will be able to order the glass. I think the problem is they can't find anyone to manufacture a small enough batch. MB

One other difference; the SWTA version uses a fiberglass band that goes around the base of the windshield where as the LASAR one is aluminum. The real 201 also is aluminum. The problem with the fiberglass is it tends to buckle in where the screws are and it just isn't as attractive. Russel from SWTA even suggests that you go and and find an aluminum one off a 201 at a salvage yard if you want it to look nicer. The fiberglass works, it just doesn't look as nice.

I suspect that if SWTA ever does get a batch of windshields made again, the price will go up and be more like LASARS. I still think the SWTA version is worth it just for the access panels.

I have been looking at windshield options and was very interested in the SWTA kit because of it's price.  The kit seems complete and reasonably priced.  The only downside is it is a custom windshield that you can only get from them.  Here is the e-mail I recieved from them today.

> I have a 67F model Mooney that I'm interested in putting a 201 style

> windshield in.  Does your kit use the oem windshield or is it a custom

> windshield?  Also what is included in the Kit?

> Thanks,

> Mike

Hello Mike,

The windshield kit uses a windshield that we manufacture. The kit is complete with windshield, retainer strip, headliner trim, hardware, dash pad and blueprints. Everything needed for installation is included except for the sealant.

At this time we are sold out of the kits. We hope to have more around the end of the year.

Best Regards,

Russell Stallings