Survival Kits

Danb

Hypo-Graph-2-fix.jpg

Graph from http://live.cgaux.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Hypo-Graph-2-fix.jpg

Lean, fit males don't do as well in the cold water survival, and no one does very well when the water is below about 50F / 10C.    Note these are mean times to fatal hypothermia.  

That said, I have a PFD that I wear flying over water, warm or cold.   I have a 406 MHz PLB clipped to the harness.

And you guys thought I was nuts for posting pictures of those women. In addition to survivability in cold water, they offer a solid flotation device.

• Like 1

Well as per the graph I don't feel too bad now. It makes a big difference being in the water vs on a raft. This was demonstrated on the Titanic disaster. Clothing also helps on the survival. The Titanic offers a good example of the importance of calling for rescue and being located. The survivors on the life boats would not have survived if it wasn't for the Titanic's  radio call stating their location. The Carpathia received the radio call and was able to locate the survivors by 3:00 am after sailing for 4 hours directly to the rescue location. Aside from the radio call the fact that the Titanic was travelling on a popular sailing route helped a lot on the prompt rescue. Had the disaster occurred 500nm south of the Azores the rescue ship would have taken more than a day to reach the survivors.

José  

And you guys thought I was nuts for posting pictures of those women. In addition to survivability in cold water, they offer a solid flotation device.

The lean male will survive even longer if he is able to climb up on top of the rotund female and remain high and dry.

Clarence

The most important component in a survival kit is knowing how to survive. First, is the will to survive.  There are several excellent video productions on survival in the tropics, winter, and in general.  They are "buried" in the FAA website and you can get the DVD's by just asking.  I became aware of these during my AME training.  Having a survival kit without knowing the fundamentals of survival is like having a set of engine tools but never learning how to use them.

I made up a light weight kit I have on the hat shelf, weighing slightly less than 10 lbs.  Without going into details, the first thing on top is a 406 ELT-in case the aircraft is a crispy critter and it's 406 is fried.  Next layer is first aid materials.  After any medical issues are address, next layer is signalling materials.  Next is shelter.  Finally, food, water purification, and "tools".  

If anyone is interested, can attach my article  on survival and the kit that was published in our local pilots magazine a few years ago. Aviation Survival Kit PDF.pdf

Aviation Survival Kit PDF.pdf

• Like 1

CCowboy

I would add to your kit a machete and a tilley hat. But all this may be useless if you are incapacitated due to a broken leg or other injury. Which is likely. More important is to activate the ELT switch before you crash. When you look at vehicle crashes (cars, boats, planes) very few will get out of the vehicle and set up a campfire. I always carry a handheld airband com to contact airlines above and let them know of my predicament. Most likely I  would not be able to walk out of the plane because the yoke is encrusted in my belly. 

José  

Edited by Piloto