ForeFlight Announces Connectivity with Garmin Avionics

HOUSTON , July 16, 2015 /CNW/ -- ForeFlight, maker of the leading app for pilots, today announced connectivity with Garmin avionics, broadening the flight planning, in-flight, and connectivity capabilities available to customers. When connected to Garmin Flight Stream , ForeFlight Mobile customers can now wirelessly receive ADS-B weather and traffic, precise GPS position data, and dynamic pitch and bank information on iPad or iPhone. Additionally, flight plan transfer capability is currently in development and will be available in a future app update.

ForeFlight Mobile now connects to the Flight Stream 210/110, Garmin's Bluetooth ® wireless gateway, and displays the full suite of ADS-B weather and traffic information received via the GDL 88/84. The Flight Stream 210, with its internal attitude sensor, powers ForeFlight's Synthetic Vision and adds backup attitude capability with dynamic pitch and bank information. WAAS GPS position information from GTN™ 650/750, GNS™ 430W/530W navigators, or GDL 88/84 with an internal WAAS receiver can be used to power features like ForeFlight Mobile's moving map, geo-referenced approach plates, and taxi diagrams to enhance situational awareness in the air and on the ground.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/foreflight-announces-connectivity-with-garmin-avionics-300114174.html

• Like 3

Well, I was hoping for this!  Garmin just made an extra AMU off me.  Will now get Flightstream 210 put in together with the GTN 650 that's going into my panel next month.  I'm a devoted Stratus/Foreflight user, and so I hadn't wanted to switch to the Garmin equivalents to get this functionality. I may be nuts- really I'm spending the AMU for just getting flight plans into the GTN 650, since I won't have the GDL-88 and am getting an economical KT74 replacement for the my KT76A for ADS-b out.  Wish there was a box that did just this one function for less money.  The Stratus does a fine job for ADS-b in on ipad, and the GTN650 screen is a tad small for all this info anyway.  

• Like 1

I wish they would allow the GDL-39 to talk to fore flight. To do that would be like putting the Cummins turbo diesel in the Ford F-series pickup. All the others would go out of business.

Seems only fair in exchange for Garmin is letting Foreflight into their panel stuff.  Probably a coder working on it somewhere as we speak.

• Like 1

What's the big deal?

If I read this right the only thing you get from the Garmin side is GPS data and the AHRS. There is no connection to the panel stuff, just the FlightStream output.

Does anyone know if this is actually approved by Garmin or did Foreflight hack the FlightStream like SeattleAvionics did on Stratus?

What's the big deal?

If I read this right the only thing you get from the Garmin side is GPS data and the AHRS. There is no connection to the panel stuff, just the FlightStream output.

Does anyone know if this is actually approved by Garmin or did Foreflight hack the FlightStream like SeattleAvionics did on Stratus?

This seems legit.  Garmin lists Foreflight as supported software on its web site. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/avionics-safety/sat-comm/flight-stream-110-210/prod153681.html

• Like 1

So what this really does is send a shot across the bow of Appareo and the Stratus, seems to me.  As I read it, the Stratus would be superfluous since the ADS-B info can now come from the Garmin equipment. The ability to transfer flight plans is coming up, which I guess could be interesting if you're really trying to keep the exact flight plan synch between your panel and your iPad.

For me, though, I've always felt that the advantage of the Stratus/ForeFlight connection was precisely because it WASN'T part of the panel, and it's a backup source of data to correlate or use in an emergency situation. It's all a moot point, though, since those of us slumming along with a G1000 can't yet benefit from any of these new Garmin features. That's something I am really going to start hounding Mooney on at this year's Summit.  They have GOT to start showing all the G1000 users what the path is to ADS-B compliance.

• Like 1

I wish they would allow the GDL-39 to talk to fore flight. To do that would be like putting the Cummins turbo diesel in the Ford F-series pickup. All the others would go out of business.

That would be something. I need the GDL-39 to send data to the Garmin 696. Install FS-210 and move over to Foreflight for the portable stuff. Then switch from the Nexus 7 to the iPad Mini since Pilot sucks for the Android platform. More dinero...

I think it is a great idea, and I intend to purchase the 210 model - probably at Oshlosh (especially if there is a "show" discount). I am virtualyy all Garmin (and Foreflight) now: GTN750, GTN650, AERA 796, GDL 88, remote Garmin transponder and remote Gamin autio panel, and Foreflight on a yoke mounted Mini. I see the main advantage in having the AHRS to display roll and pitch in Foreflight's synthetic vision. For me, this allows the Mini to display information already on one or more of the other boxes, but with a split screen for the AHRS data, I had been thinking about the Stratus 2s, buit I already have ADS-B In/OUT, and this way I can avoid still another external box, with its own battery requiring charging.I had a Dynon D-1 EFIS, but without a spare hole in the panel, I had to use it with a RAM suction mount on the windscreen. I could never find the right place to it, and often the suction mount slipped. I happily gave it to a Mooney couple (wonderful friends) who had an open hole in their new panel, and it fits perfectly. Yes, the Dynon is a portable' Dynon provides a spring mounting for their unit to use in an instrument hole. Looks like any other piece of avionics in the panel, but since it not connected to any of the aircraft systems, it is "legal" for use where it is. More and more "affordable" avionics keep appearing, bringing great utility. Foreflight is awesome in my opinion, and mating the program with the Garmin Flightstream 210 is brilliant. I want it now.

I still wish there was a Garmin 310.  The 210 is an incomplete solution since while it does supply AHARS it does not serve as ADSB in - all it does is channel a GDL88 signal to your ipad - so if you are like me - I have a Trig ADSB-out device, then for my ADSB in I currently have a GDL39-3d.  I won't get a 210 since all it does for me is let me communicate between my ipad and my GNS430 (that's pretty good though....)  SO I would still need to keep my GDL393d.  In fact, I doubt my ipad would be able to communicate with both.  Even if I were willing to buy both.

I want a Flightstream "310" which would do everything the 210 does plus also act like a gdl39 and give me ADSB in without needing to buy a gdl88 as well.

I will tell this to the Garmin table folks - Ill be right behind you Bennett.

I guess we need flight stream? But I am thinking it is a one way street? So flight stream would be of no benefit unless you have a GDL-88, ... and even then, no more than hat you already get on Foreflight if you have a Stratus 2?

If the flight plans, arrivals, approaches integrate ... That would be the benefit I am looking for ...

Anyone know?

Flight plans on Foreflight integrate without GDL-88, unless I am mistaken.  I am likely going to get specifically for that single purpose.

• Like 1