Muffler for 67'F

Last winter, I was getting a little PPM through the heater, so I closed off the heat and just watched my CO monitor to make sure none was coming in since then.  However, I want to replace the muffler before Fall.  So, I'm trying to decide if I should go with ribbed or posts... 

Does anyone have experience with ribbed vs posts versions?  Honestly, not sure which one is on there now... will the ribbed version provide plenty of heat??

here is the simple question, will it only be used in the south east and no where else where you may want the best amount of heat? and as you have already proven you can shut the heat off if you do not need that much.

so what's your question, Just sayin.

Brian

I have a '67 M20C, If I remember correctly.... the post style was on the earlier model Mooney up until  til say  '65 or '66 ish  years the 67's I believe have ribbed with ball  joints at the exhaust ports to the engine. Which latter model they gone to slip joint type of the exhaust stacks.

It is my understanding that post type exhaust could have a potential of partially plugging up the exhaust causing  engine performance issues should several of the posts let go. Not to mention the post   in a more concentration points  for corrosion  to cause a potential failure. I would suspect you have a ribbed style with ball joints going to your engine exhaust stacks. Over the years I could not find anyone that carried the ball joint type  and was willing to weld them on my exhaust stack so had to convert to  slip joint type which can siege up and cause a lot problems with cracking they pipes and leaks and so on..  I have  had  good luck with Dawley ,when other popular  aircraft  welding out fits didn't want to or could not do the job Dawley came through .  Dawley  did a great job and I think it has been about 8 years  with no troubles.

http://www.dawleyaviation.com/index.php/about-us

I  haven't  booth style exhaust side by side to compare the heat output but I believe the ribbed  is more common in latter model Mooney's and easier to get parts.

I am in  the pacific northwest it doesn't get that cold here compare to northeast or say Boston this year.

The heater works haven't really flown in weather below 0 degrees F  only about 20 dof.  so how much  is heat coming out of the heat muff is relative unit of measure.

Hope this helps.

James '67C

Hi James,

Thank you for the feedback.  Now, I figured it all out.. i have the ball joints with ribbed muffler and AWI won't support the ball joints as you said.. Neither will the other guys... 

looks like I will have to buy new risers, which I don't need and have them drilled again.. booo

I knew i couldn't get out of this issue for a reasonable cost.  :(

Interesting. I have a 67F and I have slip joints at all of the exhaust stacks. The only ball joint goes from exchanger/muffler to the exhaust pipe.  Mine is ribbed and Dawley rebuilt it about 10 years ago at a cost of around $500 IIRC.  Why not call Dawley? There may be no need to replace the ball joints.

Depending on the condition ...  They might be able salvage the existing  parts.  Give a Dawley a try. I can't do anything about the cost... if it is maintain correctly  hopefully this last for many  years to come and help take out the initial cost sting. I wasn't  fan of the slip joint exhaust but had no choice . 

I just called Dawley..   they said to repair the ribbed is $600... or if it has studs, then its $1200...... and two weeks lead time... 

After talking to AWI and also Aircraft exhaust, it seems I can get an entirely brand new PMA system with risers and all for $1400-1500.. I may do that just to avoid down time.. 

You might give Knisley a call. They rebuilt my tailpipe with a new ball a few years ago. A few years before that my #3 flange cracked and they rebuilt that stack with a new ball, too. My muffler was tweaked and it didn't fit so they had me bring over the whole exhaust and they got it lined up on their fixture. It helps (a lot) that I'm local... knisleyexhaust.com