MooneyM20c nose wheel vear to the right

rtastad

Don Maxwell has a write up on similar behavior.  May or may not apply.

http://www.donmaxwell.com/publications/MAPA_TEXT/M20-202%20-%20Eight-Second%20Ride/EIGHT_SECOND_RIDE.HTM

Good luck.

+1

Also check to see if your nose gear steering and rudder are not rigged together correctly.

Taxi straight and note the position of your legs- easiest if you note the distance of your kneecaps from the bottom of the instrument panel. Take of, fly straight and level with the ball centered, and again note the position of your legs/knees. If it is significantly different, tell your mechanic.

If it is only for a couple of seconds on landing and on take off it is probably the same problem my C model had, I asked around and was told a few different things and then one day I was told something different so I checked and low and behold there is was. I was told to take a towbar and pull the aircraft on the yellow line with the towbar as perfectly straight as possible for 10 or 15 feet, then stop and make sure it doesnt roll forward or back and lay the towbar down carefully being sure not to let it turn. Now look at the position of the rudder....... if the rudder isnt lined up straight it isnt lined up with the nose wheel. If the two (rudder and nose wheel) are not in agreement when taking off and landing there will be a couple of seconds when they both have equal authority as the aircraft is transitioning from a wheeled control to a wing control, when you are at this transition speed where both have the same amount of authority and they dont agree the airplane will go everywhich way, it only lasts for a few seconds, but longer in a crosswind! (reminds me of two parents that cant agree on things and the kids are going wild in the meantime)

• Like 2

If it is only for a couple of seconds on landing and on take off it is probably the same problem my C model had, I asked around and was told a few different things and then one day I was told something different so I checked and low and behold there is was. I was told to take a towbar and pull the aircraft on the yellow line with the towbar as perfectly straight as possible for 10 or 15 feet, then stop and make sure it doesnt roll forward or back and lay the towbar down carefully being sure not to let it turn. Now look at the position of the rudder....... if the rudder isnt lined up straight it isnt lined up with the nose wheel. If the two (rudder and nose wheel) are not in agreement when taking off and landing there will be a couple of seconds when they both have equal authority as the aircraft is transitioning from a wheeled control to a wing control, when you are at this transition speed where both have the same amount of authority and they dont agree the airplane will go everywhich way, it only lasts for a few seconds, but longer in a crosswind! (reminds me of two parents that cant agree on things and the kids are going wild in the meantime)

Just reading that post makes my palms sweat...  

I have done the staight nose wheel deal and the rudder was out a little so changed linkage in nose wheel and thought that would do it.  Thought it helped for a while but back to the same again. 

Went through the Don Maxwell procedure as well and all is fine.

I guess i still think it is nose wheel rudder alignment so may have to do some more on it

Thx for all the advice

I'm not near my manual right now but I think it says nose wheel and rudder are 2 degrees different and the rudder is to the right when the wheel is straight. But do check it out. Also check for play in the nose wheel steering linkage at the top of the nose gear inside. Lift the nose wheel off the ground and turn it left and right. If it moves easily with 10 or more degrees of turn you need to rebuild the linkage. It shouldn't have much play. Also the caster angle maybe off (the wheel may be too far forward in relation to the gear pivot point). There is a SB on this available.

• 4 weeks later...

On the Mooneys with no rudder trim it is normal for slight right rudder when the nose wheel is straight. This improves speed slightly when above 130 IAS. This counteract the slight P torque in cruise.

Check each wing height above ground. A shorter main gear due to a worn out biscuit can cause the same effect. 

José

I had the 8 second ride on my plane for years. It was scary. It would make you quite proficient as a tail wheel pilot. The simple washer washer in the service bulletin made it feel like a new plane. You wouldn't believe it unless you experienced it.