Flying is a lonely business

So here is a question I have been meaning to ask.  In the 172 the wife only gets queasy on approach when bumpy and maneuvering around for lining up. She says the rest of the flight is fine.    We have tried the chewable Ginger once. She will also take a dramamine.  Is the Moooney more stable on final approach?

So here is a question I have been meaning to ask.  In the 172 the wife only gets queasy on approach when bumpy and maneuvering around for lining up. She says the rest of the flight is fine.    We have tried the chewable Ginger once. She will also take a dramamine.  Is the Moooney more stable on final approach?

I don't know that it's any more stable or less yawing moment.............but my wife prefers the low wing airplanes..........says it's more of a sensation of flying rather than being suspended (actually dangling was the word she used.)

I think all else being equal, some of the Mooneys will be more stable on final approach, especially the heavier ones. The higher wing loading will stabilize some of the bumps.  This may not be true of the lighter-weight short body Mooneys.  And hey Yetti...if you want a J model, I've got one to sell!  Check out my listing in the For Sale section.

:)

My wife doesn't like to fly GA or commercial but she does both if the need arises, she thinks its the noise, viberation and perhaps the altitude that causes people to fall asleep. She usually reads a book if the weather is nice but I discovered she's very skilled in reading NEXRAD displays as well;)

• Like 1

My wife doesn't like to fly GA or commercial but she does both if the need arises, she thinks its the noise, viberation and perhaps the altitude that causes people to fall asleep. She usually reads a book if the weather is nice but I discovered she's very skilled in reading NEXRAD displays as well;)

For Nancy, the fascination is the traffic displayed on the GTN. Keeps her awake at least.

I find the Mooney is smoother in all phases of flight over the Piper 28 or Cessna 172.  I look at it like the difference between a flat boat and a V hull riding on a lake with a slight chip.  The flat boat you will feel every wave but the V hull you will not notice much.  Having owned a short body (E) and a mid-body (F) Mooney the short planes will have more tendency to yaw in flight over the mid-body but most of the time it was not noticeable you have to be looking for it.

I've certainly had this kind of experience. I end up flying alone most of the time. I recall taking the kids on a cross-country to a cool new airport and having them be asleep much of the time. You don't get the feel of the speed you're doing so there's not much excitement. My wife flew with me in the beginning but not now. We had some fiascos like the time we flew to a small airport near grandma's house and ended up walking in a downpour on a little dirt road in the woods (my grandma was literally over the river and through the woods). Most of the people who fly with me and enjoy it seem to be already primed to enjoy, people I meet hanging around the airport, for instance. 

My father was a pilot and of all his kids I'm the only one who digs it. I have trouble understanding how anyone could fail to like flying but it seems like we're a minority. It seems many don't pay much attention to their environment as they walk, drive, fly, or whatever. You see them plugged into some kind of entertainment or texting or dozing. They don't seem to want to look and see much. 

Go figure.

• Like 1

My wife usually falls asleep above 5,000 ft. I thought it might be oxygen so I suggested we both use oxygen the next time we flew. It was a very different experience, she asked about every bell and whistle and fuel amounts, etc...etc... Next time I didn't bring out the O2!! Just saying, sometimes part of the joy of flying is solitude!. 

Of my three kids, they all enjoy flying. My daughter enjoys it the most. She loves flying but is not too interested in piloting. She just looks at the wonder of the world going by and likes to be with her cool pilot dad. Of the boys, one is spoiled and thinks flying in an Ovation at 250 mph to grandma's is normal. He says he will get his LSA ticket one day and may do it. The other is an engineer type and loves to tinker with the avionics and help me do the mental math of flying. Between the three of them, two will usually be asleep and one up front engaged. I still count my lucky stars!

• Like 1

Here in Florida most flights are North-South oriented, so in the morning or in the evening sunlight can be annoying for passengers. I installed these retractable sun shades that blocks the sunlight. They work very well and are cheap $4 each at Walmart. They come with suction cups but I decided to have them screwed with the existing panel screws. They are great to reduce the glare on your tablet or smartphone.

José

post-6932-0-42258800-1406643161_thumb.jp

My kids have zero interest in learning anything at this point. Glad to hear there may be hope later down the road.

What's he taking the lessons in John?

Yeah..mine have interest in............ talking back. Ironically, I was on the phone, chewing the fat with Seth, when my wife called and wanted to vent over my 14 year old.... (OK Seth....gotta go....see ya). :):):)

• Like 1

My wife and kids regularly go to sleep regardless of altitude.  I thinks its the background noise that does the trick and I feel very certain that if the screw stops turning they will be alert and looking around.  I do remember once taking a friend's son on a flight to drop my daughter off in Florida so she could join a friend's family for a beach vacation.  It was his first trip in a small plane and he was totally excited about the trip.  Half way back I look over and he is power drooling.  I took a picture and continue to give him a hard time about his "exciting" first flight in a small airplane.