Tire Pressure

MtPleasantFlyer

Back when I was racing I used nitrogen but for trail/street riding I use good old air.  I run around 15psi while trail riding.  I find if I go lower I end up with pinch flats.  I run between 23 and 28 while running in the twisties and 32 to 35 while running on the freeway.  The higher presures will help your tires last longer while on the pavement.  I have a small electric pump that I carry in my pack.  Just a second.... this is the Mooney forum, not the offorad riding forum I also read :wacko:  

I use air and 35 for the rears and 45 for the front on my M20B.

Mark

30 lbs. as tire indicates. Weather dictates how often, usually end up checking 3-4x a year depending on temps. If it looks low, check it. Might have picked something up (there were three incidents of flats at our field this year). I use manufacturer PSI regardless of weight. Nitrogen or air?, I always use air since I have a compressor in my hanger. I know nitrogen helps keep the tire pressure consistent for vehicles, not sure how many FBOs or service centers have access to it, also not sure about aviation aspect of nitrogen if any.   

Monthly. I'll use my compressor in the hangar to add a little air when needed. Use the POH tire pressures for your specific model not the max rating number on the sidewall or the numbers your longbody friends are using. (I think the M20C is 30 PSI on all three, but verify with your POH).

Good read here:

http://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/pdf/aircraftmanual.pdf

Avoid the $0.99 auto store tire gauges. Spruce has a decent gauge for $18

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/to/gauges_tire/tiregauge.php

If you've got easy access to hangar buddy or FBO with a nitrogen bottle then go for it. If not then don't sweat it just give it a squirt of air.

Note: as BigTex pointed out, if you now have 6 ply tires on your short body then you can run the 6 ply tires up to full rated pressure 42 mains/49 nose like the long bodies.

• Like 1

30 lbs. as tire indicates. Weather dictates how often, usually end up checking 3-4x a year depending on temps. If it looks low, check it. Might have picked something up (there were three incidents of flats at our field this year). I use manufacturer PSI regardless of weight. Nitrogen or air?, I always use air since I have a compressor in my hanger. I know nitrogen helps keep the tire pressure consistent for vehicles, not sure how many FBOs or service centers have access to it, also not sure about aviation aspect of nitrogen if any.   

Most jets are required to use Nitrogen. I do have a couple friends who have their own nitrogen bottle for their tires. Supposed to be more stable, seaps less.

• Like 1

For my C model , 30 psi all around. I check them before every flight and since it has a tube, air is fine.

If your running 6 ply on the nose tire you can bump it up to 49, 4 ply is 30. I have 6 ply on the nose and have tried booth and i like 49 for the nose.

I run Owners Manual tires on my C, and keep all three inflated to 30 psi per the book. Seems the nose is 5.00 x 5, but I don't recall the number of plies. Strange, since I just replaced it in December. Hopefully the leak stop tube in the nose will work as well as the ones on the mains. Nothing helps, though, when temps fall from almost 60F to -8F in 36 hours.

40 in mains.......30lbs isn't enough even though thats what it calls for.  If the plane is filled up with fuel go push it with 40vs30 once and you will see there is a big difference. 

Aaron

I'm curious if that will make a difference with the Missile and the higher gross weight.  Maybe I'll try that this spring when I can not freeze when working around the airplane.

-Seth

I'm curious if that will make a difference with the Missile and the higher gross weight. Maybe I'll try that this spring when I can not freeze when working around the airplane.

-Seth

Found out the hard way in MN I can't push it in the hanger unless there aired up there Is a huge amount more resistance. I'm guessing your missile would be worse especially if you have long range tanks that are full.

Owner's Manual for 1966 Super 21, (revised Nov. 1965) page 30: "The tire pressure (nose and Main) should be maintained at 30 psi."

The real question, do you follow the tire manufacture or the Aircraft POH.  If you follow the POH,  You'll need to alos follow the tire specs as well (i.e., tire ply).

If you review the Goodyear data book, tire pressure ratings are really dependent on the size and number of plys among other factors.  If you use 4 ply tires on the mains and the nose wheel, 30 psi is correct (29 mains, 31 nose wheel).  Back in 1966, that's likely what rolled off the line.  However, if you upgrade to 6 ply all the way around, Goodyear recommends you inflate to 42 on the mains and 50 on the nose wheel.

http://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/pdf/db_airdatabook.pdf

• Like 1