Barry vs. Lord mounts

When we get the engine back from tear down inspection I'll need to make a choice between Barry @ $113 ea. (A. Spruce) vs. Lord @ $144. ea (same)

$124 difference (4) is hardly 0.1 AMU and I could handle that if the Lord is superior in some way.

FWIW, I have Barrys now (12 years 700 hours) and the engine has been sagging for some time.  ('66E ser 929, IO360-A1A SN RL-15450-51A.)

Your advice is welcome.

Bob

I have heard from the likes of Maxwell that Lords are better, Bob. Apart from that, I cannot contribute any firsthand info, just what a guy said that looks at about 6-10 different engine installs each week and spends a lot of time getting sagging engines straightened out.

• Like 1

Had good performance with my old Lords, so just put new ones back on.  Were you not happy with your old mounts, how long did they last etc.....just spent 17K parts and services, really did not want to take a chance, also the Mooney drawing said Lord (maybe for a reason).  Also the Mooney drawing shows a specific setup using the Lord, so check if Barry has a similar drawing for Mooney if you want to take a chance.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I told the chirf mechanic to do what he wanted to do anyway, switch (back?) Lords. (As of this afternoon the engine is removed and ready to go to Tim Hess @ Unlimited Aero Engines:  http://unlimitedaeroengines.com/index.html for tear down. The crank and cases will go to OK so I will be w/o wheels for at least a month, I fear.)

Thanks to all for the feedback. I told the chirf mechanic to do what he wanted to do anyway, switch (back?) Lords. (As of this afternoon the engine is removed and ready to go to Tim Hess @ Unlimited Aero Engines:  http://unlimitedaeroengines.com/index.html for tear down. The crank and cases will go to OK so I will be w/o wheels for at least a month, I fear.)

So what's your game plan while your planes being worked on?  Mine's been in the shop for going on six weeks now and it's driving me nuts.

So what's your game plan while your planes being worked on?  Mine's been in the shop for going on six weeks now and it's driving me nuts.

Gary, I think I'll borrow a friend's Archer II and go visit my Mooney and the guys who have it hostage. Meanwhile I'm posting here on any thread I know anything about and a few that I do not.

What's your C in the shop for? 

At my home airport, they where doing some construction.  They dug a hole right next to the taxiway and put a temporary fence around it.  Well the fence was too high and brain dead me thought that as long as I stayed on the center line I'd be okay.  That might be the case for a Piper with a heresy bar wing, but not a Mooney.  Needless to say I put a nice long scratch on the underside of my right outer wing panel.  

It's at Don's getting a new outer panel and right aileron re-skinned.  While its down for repairs I had Don pull the interior and send it to Hector at Aero Comfort to have it redone as well.  I figured after 48 years, it's due.  I also took this opportunity to have a new windshield installed.  Hopefully, I'll pick it up next week.

• Like 1

Bought a new Husky A1-B back in '05 . . . the engine was sagging within two years. Replaced the Barry's with Lords and they are still good. 

bumper

My engine seemed to be sagging when I bought the plane 2/2012. I asked the previous owner, who had had it since 2005 about it and he said the cowl/engine misalignment had been that way since he bought the plane. He wasn't concerned but I have asked quite a few shops about it and am glad to be making the mount change.