In the market

'67 E's are hard to find due to the limited numbers made (64 total I believe).  '65/'66 model years are easier to find as over 800 were made over that period.  Not sure on the C or F model numbers.  You can check Mooney Chronology for more information on the different model years.

Good luck in your search and decision.

Brian

In my humble opinion, the E is just the perfect combination of get-up-and-go, economy [i plan at 10, burn between 8-9 gallons per hour] and space.  My father flew a family of four around the country in his C model. I really enjoy the 200 hp, fuel injected engine and really think the E is a super airplane.  My Maggie is a zoomer, she just leaps off the runway....  ZOOOOMMM

I think it really depends on if you plan to fly with more than two people in the plan. I have a 68 M20F which is virtually the same airframe as the 201. I can easily carry 4 people and my totally stock F model gets 142 Kts consistantly on around 9 gal/hr lean of peak. You can probably go faster in a E model but I donn't think you can carry more than 2 people comfortable. I am sure there are other considerations that are equally important to other owners. Really depends on your expected use of any of these great airplanes.

Yellowjacket

It depends on how much money you want to spend. All of the models: C, E & F are great planes and each have their own advantages/disadvantages.

The "C" is a carburated engine with 180 HP and great fuel economy

The "E" is a fuel injected engine with 200 HP. A little faster than the C and because it's fuel injected it's easier to fly at peak or even lean of peak and you can get the same fuel economy as the C.

The "F" has the same 200 HP fuel enjected engine as the E and is 10" longer. You get 7" more in the cargo area and 3" more in the rear seat. Making it a lot easier to carry people in the rear and a lot more room for cargo over the C or E. It's also a heavier plane then the E making it a little slower and heavier on the controls.

I own a 75 F and if I had it to do over I would have liked to spend more money and bought a 201 (J Model) It's the same size as an F but has all the speed mods which make it about 15 kts faster then the F.

Before you decide spend as much time as you can looking and talking with people who own and fly these models. As I said they are all great planes.

Good Luck, Bob

F all the way, baby. The average F may be a couple of knots slower than the average E (although averages dont' mean much as each plane is unique), but the F offers better range, significantly more back seat room, and greater useful load. I absolutely love my F. And a couple of speed mods later, I'm still able to out-run my buddy's E model... <grin> MB

Mitch could out run me in the F somehow, not sure how he did it. But I beat him off the runway and in the climb everytime. Like Bob said "they are all great airplanes."  Welcome to the Mooney Family to all the buyers out there. We are an opinionated, yet friendly crew.  I don't think any of us even remembers how to fly something.....slow.

I own a 67E and I previously owned a 76 F. In comparing the two I much prefer the E. It climbs better and is easier to handle. In regard to passengers, I rarely have more than one passenger and when I do it is for sight seeing generally speaking and the trips are short  so unless 3 passengers is the primary purpose for you go with the E. Having said that I am now in the market for a 201 not because it is la longer body but because it has the mods and auto pilot I really want. Upgrading the E makes no sense as you would never get the investment back not that is the most important consideration. Currently my E is up for sale in Canada as I am very close to purchasing a 201.

Philip

I am thrilled to have all the input.Thank you!

I do not have an "unlimited budget", but after pouring over classifieds for the past couple months it is pretty clear that you get what you pay for, but still great values.  Please feel free to notify my of any for sale that you have personal knowledge of.

My checklist has the following please advise if there is anything else to look for/ avoid:

1. engine time
  2. prop ad/ upgrade
  3. airframe
  4. radios
  5. paint
  6. corrosion
  7. fuel tank reseal
  8. landing gear maintenance/ donuts
  9. interior condition
  10. damage history, but as lng as it has been repaired properly not too bothered by it
  11. would only consider a gear up history if the engine had been totally torn down with a crankshaft inspection.

Its great to have found an active forum. Thanks again, and I look forward to joining the mooney family.

Rob

Quote: rturbett

My checklist has the following please advise if there is anything else to look for/ avoid:

engine time

prop ad/ upgrade

airframe

radios

paint

corrosion

fuel tank reseal

landing gear maintenance/ donuts

interior condition

damage history, but as lng as it has been repaired properly not too bothered by it

would only consider a gear up history if the engine had been totally torn down with a crankshaft inspection.

All that said above, I still love my electric gear C. It's simply built, easy to maintain, economical, and with 9 gph giving 140 kts, there's no worrying about LOP. Just watch the carb temp. A few owner-assisted annuals will make you very knowledgable about how the plane is put together and how it works, and it's obvious that Al Mooney employed the KISS principle; as a mechanical engineer, that's something that I appreciate.

Just be aware that there are occasional challenges with airplanes of our vintage. Much of the threads referenced above make specific points to watch out for.

Whichever model you end up with, I'm sure you'll have a blast. Keep an open mind, and look at all models in your price range--that will give you a better chance to find the "perfect plane" with whichever mods/upgrades/equipment is most important to you. Just realize that there are tradeoffs between models, and differences between individual aircraft within the same model.

Welcome to the family, and fly safe!

I would put radios and avionics and autopilot high up on the list. You will probably pay a little more for an airplane that has newer avionics and autopilot, but it will be significantly cheaper than if you have new equipment installed on your nickel. If you plan to fly a fair amount of IFR then I would insist on having a good autopilot. Also if the plane you are looking at doesn't have a good IFR GPS or digital radios then I would discount the price of the plane to account for having to put these in. I guarantee you that if you buy a plane with outdated/older avionics the bug will bite and you will have to have the newer stuff and it can cost as much as the plane itself. Trust me I know. I just had installed a Garmin 430W, Aspen PFD and a S-TEC 30A. The plane is a dream to fly IFR and it flys approaches hands off except for the descent. Plus the value just went up on my M20F, but not as much as it cost me to have this stuff installed....get the hint. I would also want a 6 pack instrument panel instead  of the old style one that came in our vintage Mooneys. Your instrument scan is a lot better with a 6 pack style panel.

If you don't already have an instrument rating then get one asap. You'll get the best utility our of your Mooney with one.

Good luck in your search.

Yellowjacket