Aspen Pro Surface or Flush

functionally it doesn't matter. I had mine surface mounted but if I would do it again, I like the appearance of the panel with the flush mount.

The biggest consideration for flush mount is the alteration to the panel. If you are having one made, do it. Just remember, the surface mount does not modify your instrument holes. If you flush mount everything has to be cut out.

I had mine surface mounted. Between the cost of the flush kit and the extra hours involved, it'd be probably $1200 delta to get it flush mounted. I think the kit was $700 and then an extra 5 hours labor. After I got it back, I sort of wished I did flush mount it, but now I don't even notice. While I want things to look decent, I'd rather put my aviation $$$'s into function.

Even flush mounted, it sticks out a little bit. Is it worth $1200 to recess the unit 3/8" of an inch?

Larry

• Like 1

I had mine surface mounted. Between the cost of the flush kit and the extra hours involved, it'd be probably $1200 delta to get it flush mounted. I think the kit was $700 and then an extra 5 hours labor. After I got it back, I sort of wished I did flush mount it, but now I don't even notice. While I want things to look decent, I'd rather put my aviation $$$'s into function. Even flush mounted, it sticks out a little bit. Is it worth $1200 to recess the unit 3/8" of an inch? Larry
Larry and Cruiser are right about the cost and the permanent nature of a flush mount. I had a hard time forking over the extra $1,000 to make it flush. Here is what my 2000 looks like surface mounted. It is a matter of personal preference. The rest of my stack is also raised. post-9886-13695150225773_thumb.jpg

Here's another thing to consider. A friend recently had the Aspen installed in his 231, originally surface mounted. That was causing some physical interference with other buttons nearby, so he went back and had it flush mounted. That solved the physical interference, but then he realized that with flush mounting there was nothing to rest his fingers on to work the unit in turbulence, so it made that aspect more challenging.

I think flush mount looks better, but if you don't think you'll have physical interference with other knobs/buttons, surface mounting may be somewhat easier to use.

• Like 1

While considering this issue...

I realized that My existing six pack is not flush mounted either...

But I like the look of the flush mounted Aspen and JPI...

If only going with one Aspen, flush mounting would not be so critical.

Going with three screens and a JPI, then flush all the way...

My opinion , of course...

-a-

Good scan B26!  It's the Aircraft Components Gear Alert System. I have not been able to eliminate random false alarms and the override button does not stop the triple "Check Landing Gear" lady's chant that usually occurs in the middle of an ATC xmit. I've asked this forum, my A&P, avionics shop, and elsewhere for advice to no avail. It's apparently in the proximity antennae circuit.

Good scan B26!  It's the Aircraft Components Gear Alert System. I have not been able to eliminate random false alarms and the override button does not stop the triple "Check Landing Gear" lady's chant that usually occurs in the middle of an ATC xmit. I've asked this forum, my A&P, avionics shop, and elsewhere for advice to no avail. It's apparently in the proximity antennae circuit.

Well Bob, when I was chasing a randomly popping gear breaker, I got to be quite a good breaker observer. Caught my eye before I saw anything else!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I am about to install and Aspen EFD1000 PDF and plan to recess mount - not flush mount- the display.  My M20J has a yoke mounted Garmin 396 which I plan to keep for receiving XM weather.  With a surface mount, the right knob of the Aspen extends over 1 1/2 inches from the surface of the panel.  This knob is directly behind the GPS and restricts the forward movement of the yoke.

As someone previously mentioned, the buttons on a flush mounted Aspen are difficult to operate in turbulence.  A Beechcraft owner recommended that the unit be recessed 85%, thus leaving enough lip to steady one's hand.  This seems to make sense, so this I what I plan to do.  

Hi Chuck -- I have the flush mount. I use a Ram mount for my iPad Mini and don't have any issues with clearance. If I recall correctly, the recess kit and panel cutting costs were a factor in my decision. Something around a $1000 for an Aspen 2000 rings a bell.

As for turbulence, I have a full year now with my Aspen and find it actually easier to use in turbulence that the GTN 650 I own. The touchscreen versus knob thing. Fortunately, the GTN can also be accessed by the knobs.

Thanks for the input, Marauder.  My instrument panel is in such bad shape, I'm going to have a new left half fabricated by a shop that does nothing but build new panel blanks.  Since the panel is going to have to come out anyway, it won't cost much more to recess the Aspen.  I also have to cut a new square hole to move my Century attitude indicator.  It would be pretty hard to do a clean job of that without removing the panel.  I do think that a flush or recessed Aspen looks better than a surface mount.

Thanks for the input, Marauder. My instrument panel is in such bad shape, I'm going to have a new left half fabricated by a shop that does nothing but build new panel blanks. Since the panel is going to have to come out anyway, it won't cost much more to recess the Aspen. I also have to cut a new square hole to move my Century attitude indicator. It would be pretty hard to do a clean job of that without removing the panel. I do think that a flush or recessed Aspen looks better than a surface mount.

I went back and forth on the flush mount. The rest of my stack is also raised a bit, so I mentally justified it that way ;)

post-9886-13878510215697_thumb.jpg