Gami Injectors in an Ovation 3

ScubaMan

I'm considering installing GAMI Injectors in my 2007 Mooney M20R Ovation 3. I flew this morning, conducted and filled out the Gami Flight Test Data Sheet with my Fuel Flow Spread being .6 Gallons. Does anyone have any experience with Gami's in the M20R's and will it help fuel consumption and Air Speed with a current spread of only .6 gallons per hour?

Thanks

Mike Johnson

N871TX

Mike,

They are helpful technology for more sensitive engines with a large GAMI spread.

My O1 had a low spread last I measured it. Have you measured yours? The GAMI folks are good at helping you to determine whether you need it or not. Expect not, but do check incase something else is not working correctly.

Continental IO550s have balanced air and fuel systems in Ovations and Eagles...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm considering installing GAMI Injectors in my 2007 Mooney M20R Ovation 3. I flew this morning, conducted and filled out the Gami Flight Test Data Sheet with my Fuel Flow Spread being .6 Gallons. Does anyone have any experience with Gami's in the M20R's and will it help fuel consumption and Air Speed with a current spread of only .6 gallons per hour?

Thanks

Mike Johnson

N871TX

You might first try simply swapping around your injectors.  Swap your leanest and richest injector for starts and redo your test.  Maybe it will already lower your spread.  Many people if achieved 0.2-0.3 spread with just swapping.

I agree with what aviatoreb proposed.  I helped an Ovation3 owner with his GAMI lean test and I can't remember his spread, but it was in the 0.5 GPH range IIRC.  His engine was a TCM Platinum or whatever that supposedly came with balanced injectors, but it wasn't as close as it should be IMO.  He swapped some around and things got worse, actually, so I suspect TCM balanced it as best they could for the premium edition engine but they just don't have the precision of GAMIs.  Swapping them doesn't cost you anything besides time and mechanic labor and is worth a try before purchasing GAMIjectors.

The GAMI spread test is not so much a measure of how much fuel you will save, it's a test to see how smoothly the engine will run when you are running LOP. If you buy GAMIjectors the differences between cylinders will very likely be smaller and the engine will run smoother when you run LOP. You can also follow a few of the other suggestions to switch injectors, or just put up with a little shaking and run LOP anyway.