M20 E engine time....

I recently purchased a M20E out of an estate , Fixed it up , and am trying to sell it.... The problem is that the engine has super low time (>100 hours)  and almost 10 years of sitting in a hanger.....  How much time do you think I will have to put on it to lessen the big lycoming cam pitting fear......It seems to be a big obstacle , Other than that it is a nice plane......  My IA says that although it does happen , it is not very common.....To quote him , fly the plane , you will be fine...... And I have been flying the plane with no problems....  Just looking for a general concensus......

change oil, cut filter open and inspect--any debris or metal? Do oil analisys. 

depending on results, a jug may have to be pulled to visually check lifters and cam.

Most educated buyers know the perils, the log will indicate the plane has sat, the price will be negotiated....

It's probably best for the seller to determine the health of the cam, then demand best price for the plane.

Making believe it is not an issue doesn't usually command best price.

Then again, we're you trying to get full value / best price for this plane?

My first M20C had a record of sitting. I negotiated a low price. End result, a stuck valve followed by a new cylinder....

You get what you pay for.

Best regards,

-a-

The old adage in real estate and stocks applies the same here "You make your money when you buy, not when you sell". You will either have to take a lower price or pay the cost to hold (and fly the plane regularly) or inspect and document the condition of the engine. You took the non-flying and condition into account when you bought the plane and hopefully you paid a low price for it. Spending a few thousand to inspect the cam and take photos and get a mechanic's written report seems like a minor cost at this point versus the cost of holding, insuring, and flying the plane.

Although my engine had 1800 hrs on it, it had been sitting for the last 7 years. It was only flow 30 min or so each year to or from annual. My mechanic and I took it apart and overhauled it. Pretty much all the steel parts in it had rust on them. The crank and rods cleaned up and were ok. Cam, lifters, wristpins, and geartrain had to be replaced. If it is pitted and grinding itself up continuing to fly it will make the overhaul much more expensive.