Ovation 1 to Ovation 3 via the Midwest STC

BorealOne

I had documented real world numbers using the sky radar WAAS GPS around here somewhere...

280hp O1 ground roll 1200'

310hp O1 ground roll 800'

Initial climb rates might pin the VS needle on cold days...

Keep in mind, I am far from being a test pilot.

I used to use the 2,300' runway at 5B6, somewhat fully loaded in summer. There isn't enough room to get stopped after a late decision...

As far as differences at altitude...my CB nature kicks in, LOP @2,550rpm...

For real speed improvements at altitude, you would want the 310hp Acclaim...

The factory reman with a pair of snails is like 35 AMU more.

Unfortunately, the STC for the TNIO550 only applies to the M20S.

Want to talk to my mechanic? (He did the O and Eagle at my home drome)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Is there really an STC for the TNIO-550 for the M20S? I haven't seen it.

Aside from the increase T/O performance the performance in the mid to higher teens is impressive. You can maintain 60% power pretty high up and the climb rate up there is still good to get on top or around terrain or weather. It gives me enough benefit for my flight profile that I don't need a Turbo.

I had documented real world numbers using the sky radar WAAS GPS around here somewhere...

280hp O1 ground roll 1200'

310hp O1 ground roll 800'

Initial climb rates might pin the VS needle on cold days...

Keep in mind, I am far from being a test pilot.

I used to use the 2,300' runway at 5B6, somewhat fully loaded in summer. There isn't enough room to get stopped after a late decision...

As far as differences at altitude...my CB nature kicks in, LOP @2,550rpm...

For real speed improvements at altitude, you would want the 310hp Acclaim...

The factory reman with a pair of snails is like 35 AMU more.

Unfortunately, the STC for the TNIO550 only applies to the M20S.

Want to talk to my mechanic? (He did the O and Eagle at my home drome)

Best regards,

-a-

Agree with all of that. According to Bob, one of the best ways to take your new "N" engine to its 2200-hour TBO is run it in cruise at 2550RPM and LOP.

• Like 1

Just happen to fly to Colorado today. This is at 17,500' not bad for a NA plane!

17520 indicated, altimeter 30.06, OAT -3C is a density altitude of 19233 feet.

19.2 (density altitude) + 15.6 (manifold) = 34.8

Is my math wrong or is your manifold gauge maybe off some? Nice speeds though.

My feeling is that this set of upgrades, including the N engine is worthwhile even for an O1 just for the runway performance, when done at overhaul... Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg, that's the bulk of it, but you really need to see one post-conversion and fly in one to understand, as Anthony pointed out. Ping me offline if you want to meet and discuss and we can go fly. I guarantee it will help you connect the dots as you've read so far. Happy to bring the airplane to your field, or you're welcome here at ISP...either way.

That's awesome Steven. Oddly enough the plane is at ISP right now, getting some upgrades at Islip Avionics...

Shoot Greg...we probably just missed each other last week. I stopped by their shop to pick up a jack and some Aeroshell #6 for my prop. Brian Kendrick and I just wrapped up annual inspection on Thursday in my hangar, and put him on a plane back to TX on Friday morning. Your ship is in the back of Islip's hangar being treated very well. That's exactly who will be starting my massive panel upgrade in two months. I've worked with them for the last 7 years, and have to say you picked a winner with Rick, Tres, and crew. I'll be flying tomorrow, and can swing up to VT if you're around...if not, we can catch up another time.

Massive panel upgrade? Sounds scary... I'm putting in the L3 Lynx unit and fixing a couple of minor items... (See other thread) I'll let you know when I'm picking it up in a week or so - what's in store for your panel?

(And yes I have had great experience with Islip Avionics, come all the way from western MA)

The final list Rick and I have agreed includes...

GTN750

GTN650

G500 w/Syn. Vis.

GAD43e

GDL69

GRA55 Radar Altimeter

L3 Lynx NGT9000+ (with TAS/TCAS option)

L3 Genesis ESI-500 standby attitude

PS Eng. PMA450 audio

JPI EDM930 (currently have the 900, but trading to the larger unit. My 900 is barely a year old and I'd like the larger display)

Jeppesen Chartview

Greg,

My O3 was converted from an O2 when the 1st owner bought it, so I have both the new and old T/O performance tables (although you can also get those on the web).

Std atmosphere conditions etc., MGW (3368 lbs) Take-Off distance drops from 1200ft to 800ft. Climb similarly improves.

Hot summer days and short runways...yep definitely worth it :)

Robert 

Edit: LOL, just saw that Anthony had already beat me to it with a more detailed write-up. oh well :)

• Like 1

Was that fire walled? Did you try 2550 or 2500rpm? Wondering what your TAS would have been.. Fuel flow would have probably dropped down to 9.5ish.... That's fast AND efficient! Nice

I save all 2700 rpm for higher and yes it was firewalls. TAS is usually around 162 at those parameters you listed.

17520 indicated, altimeter 30.06, OAT -3C is a density altitude of 19233 feet.

19.2 (density altitude) + 15.6 (manifold) = 34.8

Is my math wrong or is your manifold gauge maybe off some? Nice speeds though.

I was given 30.34 shortly after that pic. What would you expect the MP to have been? I forget the method of calculating it. I curious if it can be calibrated if it's off, I'm sure it can.

The final list Rick and I have agreed includes...

GTN750

GTN650

G500 w/Syn. Vis.

GAD43e

GDL69

GRA55 Radar Altimeter

L3 Lynx NGT9000+ (with TAS/TCAS option)

L3 Genesis ESI-500 standby attitude

PS Eng. PMA450 audio

JPI EDM930 (currently have the 900, but trading to the larger unit. My 900 is barely a year old and I'd like the larger display)

Jeppesen Chartview

Welcome to the abyss:)

I was given 30.34 shortly after that pic. What would you expect the MP to have been? I forget the method of calculating it. I curious if it can be calibrated if it's off, I'm sure it can.

I should learn not to post prior to drinking coffee (ignore the density altitude bit). You lose 1" of manifold per 1000' roughly so adding back in 17.5 for altitude + 15.6 on the manifold gauge would mean @33.1 reading would be expected at sea level which makes me think it might be off a bit?

You also have to factor in that the standard rule changes some above 10,000'.  That's why when you do fly in the mountains the altimeter settings are usually quite a bit higher than you would expect compared to nearby flat lands.  The gauge may indeed by off some, but it's better to do the test with your engine resting at sea level (which is where that poster lives) and see how the MP compares to the atmospheric pressure to get a sense of it.

• Like 1

You also have to factor in that the standard rule changes some above 10,000'.  That's why when you do fly in the mountains the altimeter settings are usually quite a bit higher than you would expect compared to nearby flat lands.  The gauge may indeed by off some, but it's better to do the test with your engine resting at sea level (which is where that poster lives) and see how the MP compares to the atmospheric pressure to get a sense of it.

Looks like after 10,000' you start using .7"/1000' after 18,000' .5"/1000' as a ruff rule. My MP is correct at field level and pretty close using the previous numbers.

• Like 1

Greg,

My O3 was converted from an O2 when the 1st owner bought it, so I have both the new and old T/O performance tables (although you can also get those on the web).

Std atmosphere conditions etc., MGW (3368 lbs) Take-Off distance drops from 1200ft to 800ft. Climb similarly improves.

Hot summer days and short runways...yep definitely worth it :)

Robert 

Edit: LOL, just saw that Anthony had already beat me to it with a more detailed write-up. oh well :)

He does that.  Wealth of information...  :-)