Adding KAS297 and JPI EDM 700 to Mooney 252

Earl

Anyone had experience adding the KAS297 (altitude pre-select) to an existing autopilot and an EDM 700?  I have a 1986 252 and would love to add both these. I have tried to find a shop that will do the KAS297 job with no luck.  How much should I expect to pay?  My A&P has been fumbling along with the EDM700 and won't get back to me with a quote.

If you are interested in a EDM 700 I can recommend the EDM 800 or 830. With the 800 you have MP, OAT RPM and FF and it calculates %HP depending on these parameters. The 830 is even better, as it shows all the information on one page:

http://www.jpinstruments.com/edm_730_830.html

Right now I am swapping my 800 for a 830.

Did you have the EDM 800 added to your panel or was the 800 already there?  One of the reasons I think my A&P is in stall mode is he is not sure where to put it in the panel.  There just isn't much room.  As for the EDM 830 I really like the product but for a new install by the time you add all the sensors to get its full capability you are looking at spending around $6K with installation.  Not sure it is worth it for this plane as I have already lost $20K in value with the softer market.

The EDM 800 was the first thing I installed when I bought it. Good to know what the engine is doing. It has only 2,25" diameter, so it should fit somewhere.

Just checked the prices at Gulf Coast Avionics: EDM 700 6-Cyl US$ 1589,-, EDM 730 2310,-, EDM 800 2939,-, EDM830: 3820,- (the 830 has additional oil temp and oil pressure)

The EDM800 has the additional sensors so it is much more expensive. In my 205 I was able to use the existing fuelflow transducer for the EDM. That made the installation much easier. I think it is the same transducer in the 252.

I would at least take the EDM730, because it has the same hard- and software like the 830. I bought a 730, the connectors are compatible to the 700/800 series. When you connect the additional sensors (OAT, MP, FF, RPM) the 730 becomes a 830. (there is a special procedure to "teach" the 730 that it has new sensors).

The sensors for the upgrade (without FF) cost 810 from JPI, if you order them through another shop you might save some money. That means you can get a 830 for US$ 3.120

To upgrade from a 700 to a 800 you have to send back the unit to JPI.

The installation should not take longer than one day for someone who knows what he is doing.

Unfortunately my Mooney is still in the shop for the EDM and Aspen upgrade, so I can't say yet how good the 830 in reality is. As they are still working on the EASA STC for the Aspen I hopefully will get her back in three weeks. I am really having a hard time at the moment :-). When I pick her up I can give a short review.

I actually went back and looked and the LORAN can come out and provide plenty of space for the 830.  Just plain forgot about that extra weight.  I understand that the EDM 830 can't replace existing gauges, right?  I have an email into Mooney Mart to see if they can do it and how much.  Also wanted to add the KAS 297 so I can have altitude pre-select and vertical speed.  Both will be very helpful for single pilot IFR workload management.  Seems ATC always has 20 things for me to do when I am 100 feet from an assigned altitude.

If you can't attach the pics here, you can upload them to the photo galleries.

I don't know much about Mooney Mart but remember some negative statements here or on the Aopa forum? Maybe some other members can give you first hand info.

Thanks.  I have a post at the bugs forum so maybe they will straighten me out.  By  the way, where is Saarbruecken?  I spent 3 weeks in southern Germany and Austria last summer and loved it.  Too much schnitzel and bier but what can I say? Tongue out  Yes we did all the touristy stuff but it was really wonderful.  Can't wait to go back.

Quote: ehscott

Thanks.  I have a post at the bugs forum so maybe they will straighten me out.  By  the way, where is Saarbruecken?  I spent 3 weeks in southern Germany and Austria last summer and loved it.  Too much schnitzel and bier but what can I say? Tongue out  Yes we did all the touristy stuff but it was really wonderful.  Can't wait to go back.

I had an EDM 700 installed with fuel flow in my M20F and it is a fantastic piece of kit and I would say even more of a worthwhile investment in a 252. I'd go for the new LCD models, much nicer and nice to have a USB download port and fuel flow displayed at the same time rather than have to flick through a 1980s menu.

However the installation cost me much more than expected, approx 40-45 hrs of work rather than the 25 initially planned. Still worth it though, both as piece of mind (I spend a lot of time over water) and in fuel savings.

Magnus, where are you having the Aspen EASA installation done? Avionik Straubing?

To add the KAS297, don't you also have to add a different altimeter than stock, the KEA346?  I looked at doing that for my 231 and the altimeter is quite expensive, I want to say around 10 or 11k.  Maybe that is the hangup your shop is running in to. 

Quote: jlunseth

To add the KAS297, don't you also have to add a different altimeter than stock, the KEA346?  I looked at doing that for my 231 and the altimeter is quite expensive, I want to say around 10 or 11k.  Maybe that is the hangup your shop is running in to. 

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations and guidance.  I am feeling pessimistic about the KAS297 install because I think from my additional research that I will indeed after to also purchase a KEA-356 encoding altimeter which as best I can tell an $11K item.  That is a bummer because from a cockpit resource management tool for SPIFR this is a valuable addition but is all worth $15K with labor?  I think after some additional research it looks like my best bet for the engine monitor is the EDM-730 or EDM-830.

I'll let you know what I find out and decide to do.