Sold aircraft

Vref

Dear All,

My aircraft has found a new owner. ... who I am sure will be very happy with it, I put all my heart in it to bring it to the current condition..

I am not sure what the future will bring. Before I will engage myself for any other hi-performance aircraft I made a promise to myself to get an instrument rating first, which is in the European system a huge challenge as the complete training environment is set up for ATPL-pilots ..You are not even allowed to train with your own aircraft (yes unbelievable but true)

Of course I will be lurking into mooneyspace from time to time..;-)

The M20 J is for sure a great performer, loved to fly it.

Why did I sell it for various reasons most of them not related to the performance of the aircraft..

Some was frustration of not being capable it's full potential in the European IFR environment...

Some of it related to cost benefit when focusing on IFR training and not be able to use my own aircraft..etc... :wacko:

My young boys where quite upset when I told the news but, that's life I guess...the Mooney grew on them. But they will get over it, as I will...

One thing I would like to see as an improvement in my next bird is take-off and ground handling performance (for my specific missions)

I know it is blasphemy but I am looking at a Bo, don't shoot me..;-), yes I am looking at 170 Kts with 13 gallons...cargo hauler capable of landing on grass

My Mission remains 600Nm and for a J this is for regular travel a bit too much..A 252 would be perfect however still the asphalt only topic remains....

Anyway it will be trade off in fuel expense...can't have it all I guess. -_-

Keep up the good spirits and enjoying those fantastic Mooneys :)

regards

Luc

ex-M20J 1978

Luc, I enjoyed your posts, and hope you continute to contribute here. If your mission profile calls for a Bonanza, then I hope you find a good one.

Thanks Byron, I know but these Ovations look so damn tempting...;-))), if they would be less expensive...I will kindly ask for a runway extension on the place I often visit..you never know;-))

Hey Luc...good luck with the Bonanza....please note depending on model year ,they can have CG loading issues...also the price you pay for that wonderful ground handling(I presume you mean landing manners)is leaking oleo struts,but the flaps are very effective.If you get a v-tail you will experience a totally non Mooney feeling...the Bonanza Tail waggle,especially in turbulence.You will not see this in the A36 .Regarding your IFR ticket....I read this as a real cautionary tale...a situation I hope the USA doesnt find itself in someday.When I think of European airregs,i think of runaway overregulation that essentially killed off private avation (other than clubs)for the "common" man.Even getting your IFR ticket in the US is not going to help accoeding to EASA from what I have heard.So if an IFR ticket is so difficult to get in Europe..most will fly VFR..are there a lot of VFR into IFR accidents???anyway..nice bird you restored and best of luck with the next one..sinc kpc

Hey Luc...good luck with the Bonanza....please note depending on model year ,they can have CG loading issues...also the price you pay for that wonderful ground handling(I presume you mean landing manners)is leaking oleo struts,but the flaps are very effective.If you get a v-tail you will experience a totally non Mooney feeling...the Bonanza Tail waggle,especially in turbulence.You will not see this in the A36 .Regarding your IFR ticket....I read this as a real cautionary tale...a situation I hope the USA doesnt find itself in someday.When I think of European airregs,i think of runaway overregulation that essentially killed off private avation (other than clubs)for the "common" man.Even getting your IFR ticket in the US is not going to help accoeding to EASA from what I have heard.So if an IFR ticket is so difficult to get in Europe..most will fly VFR..are there a lot of VFR into IFR accidents???anyway..nice bird you restored and best of luck with the next one..sinc kpc

Luc,

We're gonna miss you...

Look for an Ovation with a MT prop. Rumored by the MT website to lower ground roll, noise and increase ground clearance, and speed. Does everything accept help your budget.

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks guys for the kind words, honestly it was a difficult decision.I will miss my bird. But sometimes in life it's not all about flying. About the Bo's I flew a V35A last Saturday in hard IMC with a very experienced pilot. I was impressed honestly. Be able to land on a grass rwy is a huge benefit for me. I also believe climb performance of the Bo is better it's also a better cargo hauler...

Kpc yes Europe is paying a price for it's over regulation, EASA got soo much negative bashing lately, that they will have to change there attitude toward GA from 2014 the situation seems to improve as they will align the IFR ticket more toward ICAO standards. What really makes me angry is there attitude toward N registered aircraft and Pilots holding FAA licences.

From 2014 onward you can not fly IFR any more on board of an N registered aircraft in Europe (as a EU citizen) you must hold an EASA or JAR licence .....The complete IR trainng for non professional Pilots has come to a halt as nobody is going through the hardship anymore, waiting for teh change. The French had enough and re-erected there National IR licence as reaction. But that doesn't help much as you can fly IFR only in French Airspace..........

And then you have people like me how want to improve there safety/operational capability and are pushed back through over-regulation and very tuff theoretical exams...only 3% of the GA community in Europe has an IR ticket go figure....

And then we are not even discussing the FAA STC stories which are not accepted in Europe.

You people on the other side of the pond should realise how fortunate you are ....

rgds

Luc

I thought J's were acceptable on grass if you took off the lower gear door.

My C doesn't have a problem with grass fields if they are maintained half decent. I just avoid wet turf fields because it's so difficult to remove grass and mud from the belly and wheel wells, unlike high-wing planes. Wiping the green stain off the prop isn't much of a problem either.

It's really a shame that European airspace is so heavily regulated. The topography is ideal for flying privately, and in a M20J all you would need to do is fly for an hour and you could find yourself in two or more different countries. If I fly an hour I'm only up to Orlando.

I don't know the history of the airspace over there but I'd be willing to bet that it's a holdover from the old days when countries were at odds with each other and on the brink of invasion.

It's really a shame that European airspace is so heavily regulated. The topography is ideal for flying privately, and in a M20J all you would need to do is fly for an hour and you could find yourself in two or more different countries. If I fly an hour I'm only up to Orlando.

I don't know the history of the airspace over there but I'd be willing to bet that it's a holdover from the old days when countries were at odds with each other and on the brink of invasion.

You can blame the Chicago convention of 1944 out of which the ICAO 18 annexes where developed. It defines the sovereignty of each contracting state. Once you are flying outside US airspace you are confronted with that. Crossing an FIR bounderies is mostly changing ACC center. Except Euroocontrol who controls Airspace >FL195 from Belgium, part of Germany, Netherlands and a chunk of France . It's only disappointing that Europe is not capable of going beyond ICAO and develop an harmonised approach for Europe...politics and history play a role..It wil take another 10 years at least. The european comission wants to implement 7 FAB's in Europe that means seven Functional Airspace blocks thus coming to some major ACC's controling all the traffic in Europe....The most advanced one is FABEC FAB Europe Central which will be Germany, Belgium, France, Switserland and teh Nehrerlands in one unit...

Did you know that for the same traffic as in the US we need three (3) times much controllers then in the US just for managing the complexity of Airspace...You can imagine in order to change that Political ill is needed....

It is moving but way too slow...and EASA is like the titanic in order to change course you need to let it sink first..;-)

Also any aircraft beyond 2 tonnes has to pay route charges when flying IFR. This is why Piper DLX and Meridian's are very popular tehy fall just below the 2 tonne limit..;-)

Have you checked this page : http://www.peter2000...a-ir/index.html ? It seems that some UK FTOs can train the IR/SE in your own aircraft.

The actual theory exam takes time and require a lot of work but the instrument rating worth every penny.

I regulary operate a J from a grass a runway and if it's "good grass" it's a non-issue. But you should forget about winter flying...

However maintenance under EASA is a real pain for general aviation... For i.e : Published calendar TBO's are mandatory :

You have to overhaul the prop every 6 years (or 2000h whichever comes first)

You have to overhaul the prop governor every 5 years (or 1800h whichever comes first)

You have to overhaul the magneto governor every 4 years (or 500h whichever comes first)

And if you want to continue to operate an aircraft with an engine older than 12 years old / 2000h (whichever comes first, Lycoming published T.B.O) you have to perform some complex inpections...

It's obvious that for a private aircraft you reach the calendar limits way before the time limits.

Is coming to the US to a school for a week or 2 an option for getting your IFR?

It's definitely an option but you will get a "FAA" IR which is only going to be valid on US registered aircraft.

And as Luc explained, there is a threat regarding european operators of US registered aircraft.

From 2014 onward you can not fly IFR any more on board of an N registered aircraft in Europe (as a EU citizen) you must hold an EASA or JAR licence .....

Have you checked this page : http://www.peter2000...a-ir/index.html ? It seems that some UK FTOs can train the IR/SE in your own aircraft.

The actual theory exam takes time and require a lot of work but the instrument rating worth every penny.

I regulary operate a J from a grass a runway and if it's "good grass" it's a non-issue. But you should forget about winter flying...

However maintenance under EASA is a real pain for general aviation... For i.e : Published calendar TBO's are mandatory :

You have to overhaul the prop every 6 years (or 2000h whichever comes first)

You have to overhaul the prop governor every 5 years (or 1800h whichever comes first)

You have to overhaul the magneto governor every 4 years (or 500h whichever comes first)

And if you want to continue to operate an aircraft with an engine older than 12 years old / 2000h (whichever comes first, Lycoming published T.B.O) you have to perform some complex inpections...

It's obvious that for a private aircraft you reach the calendar limits way before the time limits.

Guillaume, thanks I know Peter he is very knoweledgable on the subject. Though under the EASA rules things remain very difficult. I will have to bite the bullet anyway.

What seems to be the situation. EASA will not be able to implement this requirement for CPL/ATPL rated FAA Pilots (having an EU citizenship) as this would kill a big part of Biz Jet business in Europe and I don't think this would be accepted under current economic situation. However it looks like that flying smaller GA aircraft this will be virtually almost not possible any more.....There would be no incentive anymore to get an FAA licence as teh EASA would be greatly aligned with the FAA ones...

PS in Germany you can fly on private ownership your prop and engine on condition....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next. Like you, I'm looking at other airplane options. One note... I don't know of any Bonanzas that will get you 170 kts on 13 gph. If you know of one, please let me know what model. The ones I'm familiar with will do 170 kts, but on 15 gph (F33) or 16 gph (A36). At Mooney fuel consumption, the A36 turned in 120 kts. Have you considered the Socata Trinidad at all? It seems like a reasonable choice that will get you 165 kts on 15 gph as far as Aviation Consumer and others report, and I'd think it wouldn't be hard to get parts.

You people on the other side of the pond should realise how fortunate you are ....

rgds

Luc

Many of us do and we do what we can to try to prevent our country and our airspace from becoming over regulated like in Europe. Unfortunately, it seems year after year, we slip down that slope anyhow.

Sorry to hear of your loss and I hope you can rejoin ownership soon with something that works better for you. It's not just you, it's the times. I have been reading more and more of the "I sold my plane today" threads on various aviation forums. Rough times for GA. :(

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next. Like you, I'm looking at other airplane options. One note... I don't know of any Bonanzas that will get you 170 kts on 13 gph. If you know of one, please let me know what model. The ones I'm familiar with will do 170 kts, but on 15 gph (F33) or 16 gph (A36). At Mooney fuel consumption, the A36 turned in 120 kts. Have you considered the Socata Trinidad at all? It seems like a reasonable choice that will get you 165 kts on 15 gph as far as Aviation Consumer and others report, and I'd think it wouldn't be hard to get parts.

A debonair C33A ..? I am talking TAS speeds at higher altitude >8 9000 Ft or earlier with upgraded engine.260 or 285 Hp...Donno yet still looking...my carbon footprint surely won't improve when going BO..;-). The trinidads look to be much more expensive/intensive in maintenance...Maybe I should put Oleo's under a J..;-)