A diesel for me?

aviatoreb

Its clear to me that avgas will not be around forever.  Whether it be 2, 5, 10 or 20 years I don't know but I am 45 years old and hopefully I will still be flying when its time to worry about the new power source.  Today the next thing looks to me like diesel.

With big guys getting into the game - like Cessna's 182 diesel announced to be supported by Lycoming and continental:

http://www.avweb.com/news/airventure/EAAAirVenture2012_Diesel_Continental_STC_207047-1.html

Continental: Diesel Line Expanding, STC's Planned

...As for the STCs for conversions, Ross said it wouldn't approach these as demonstration projects, as SMA did, but as full-scale programs aimed at model populations large enough to be profitable.

What is to become of our Mooneys if the avgas goes away?  My engine has 900hrs and hopefully it makes TBO which at my flying rate will be maybe 5 years.  If a diesel STC existed by then I would seriously consider it since (assuming a diesel with a 1600hr tbo) that should last me another 10 years and I am doubtful there will be avgas in 15 years.  Otherwise I wouldn't want to have an airplane with a shiny new engine and no fuel to put in it.

Of course I would much prefer my TSIO520 with an auto-type knock sensing electronic add on which allows me to run autofuel.

A side question - I have a rocket.  But behind the firewall its still a 231 - I presume any diesel STC for the 231 would allow such an engine to be hung on my airplane.  Anyone know the rule on that?  I do hope that continental puts mooney on their stc hit list.

Its 515 grand and runs 90 inches on manifold pressure on takeoff, 60 inches in cruise. Henry Ford had a Packard Diesel flying on a Curtiss Robin in 1928, they set a world endurance record.  Yet, still no diesel. 

Quote: jetdriven

Its 515 grand and runs 90 inches on manifold pressure on takeoff, 60 inches in cruise. Henry Ford had a Packard Diesel flying on a Curtiss Robin in 1928, they set a world endurance record.  Yet, still no diesel. 

What I find funny is we can;t get people to buy computer controlled electronic ignitions for their 1939 design engines. It would be a galaxy-warp leap to get them to pull out their smoke wagon and blow 70K on a diesel conversion.

Quote: jetdriven

What I find funny is we can;t get people to buy computer controlled electronic ignitions for their 1939 design engines. It would be a galaxy-warp leap to get them to pull out their smoke wagon and blow 70K on a diesel conversion.

I’d like to put a Delta Hawk on my plane if the $$ were right i.e. equal to an overhaul but currently at $60k for firewall forward and only for the experimental folks it is highly questionable.  Supposedly they are putting them in UAVs at least this will get some time on them.  EFII offers a full electronic ignition and fuel injection kit from Spruce for $5k but again only for the experimental folks. (Variable timing, no hot starts, quick cold starts greater economy)  I suppose that with this system you could run auto fuel.   I firmly believe the FAA needs to get out of the way when it comes to airplanes with 6 seats or less and for private use.

One more thing if we start using auto fuel and pump diesel then the FAA will see a reduction in its revenue from fuel taxes on aviation fuel.

Quote: M016576

What I find tragic is that our 1939 tech motors cost 45k-60k new.  A 4 cylinder motor without electronic ignition costs more than a twin turbo charged BMW 335i.  Explain that to me.... Want to know how GA will die?  The same way the US middle class will: through robbery......

Quote: 1964-M20E

I’d like to put a Delta Hawk on my plane if the $$ were right i.e. equal to an overhaul but currently at $60k for firewall forward and only for the experimental folks it is highly questionable.  Supposedly they are putting them in UAVs at least this will get some time on them.  EFII offers a full electronic ignition and fuel injection kit from Spruce for $5k but again only for the experimental folks. (Variable timing, no hot starts, quick cold starts greater economy)  I suppose that with this system you could run auto fuel.   I firmly believe the FAA needs to get out of the way when it comes to airplanes with 6 seats or less and for private use.

One more thing if we start using auto fuel and pump diesel then the FAA will see a reduction in its revenue from fuel taxes on aviation fuel.