Paint shop recommendations - hopefully eastern 1/2

M20F-1968

I am looking to paint my F model project plane soon.  The plane is now in Texas and I am in Boston.  I would welcome any excellent recommendations of shops who do excellent work, will not cause problems such as tank leaks and the like, and who are well known to be reliable.

Thanks,

John Breda

I just went onto the Boss Aircraft Refinisher's website.  The have a Mooney 201  N201EE posted in their gallery, apparently as an example of their work, but I believe the aircraft to have been painted at Tejas in San Marcos.  What's up with that.  Does anyone know anything about this airplane?

John Breda

John, since your plane is already in Texas have you seriously considered Tejas? It seems a no brainer to me! The name Tejas in the logbook means added value. 

The late Patrick flew across the country to have his painted in CA. My position is that if I was going to fly a long distance to paint my airplane I'd go to Tejas! Otherwise it wouldn't be worth it!

Flying Colors @ KBEH in SW MI.  My mechanic/best friend is the owner.  Turns out phenomenal work.  He uses the Missile to fly guys back to Chicago to catch flights out of O'hare.  PWK is a quick cab ride to ORD.

Oxford Aviation in Maine does a first class job, have done jobs for AOPA among others, but get out your checkbook!  A couple of years ago they quoted close to 20 AMUs.  I have seen their work on a few planes and it is excellent.  They will give you an accurate quote and send you a cool CD about their facility and work (if you like looking at that sort of thing)

http://www.oxfordaviation.com/

Do some real research, look closely at planes painted by the shops your interested in, review the verbage of their contracts, and then make an informed choice. Stay away from inexperienced opinions, such as the "no brain" one above. I have first hand experience with that shop that does good work, but charges way more than what the job is worth, IMHO. For about the same $16K+ price, if that's what you want to spent on your F, you won't be able to beat Oxford, and being nearby in Maine in a very big plus.

Another excellent shop, that has done over 12 Mooneys in our Florida group, over the last few years is http://hawkaircraftpainting.com/. Speak to Joe. The shop is at Tampa Exec. He's is the owner, master painter, has been painting planes for over 30 years himself, and he's fair, reasonable and honest. I know this because Joe painted many of my friends planes, my plane several years ago, and I'm quite picky, or so Joe says ;-)

Check my photo gallery, and good luck!

16K for what?? Cost of course depends on how elaborate your scheme is.  But even if you decide to spend 16K on paint, it IS a no brainer. I'd spend it on a Tejas paint job in a heart beat for obvious reasons! You do get what you pay for. 16K on a Tejas paint job is a great value compared to what some others want to charge! And Tejas in your logs does translate to ADDED VALUE. No matter what anybody says. And your plane John is already there in TX.

Maybe he needs to take his advice and do some "real" research of his own!

For what it's worth, I never said I used the shop above, just that they do good work, and they are pricey. I have had two planes painted so far and checked out high and low end painters.  If that is inexperience, so be it.  Nevertheless, if you are going to make the investment in your plane that comes with a paint job, you owe it to yourself to check the full price spectrum.

I used a shop in the western 1/2, paid way less than the numbers above, and got a quality paint job.  I used Straube, and they are in Ogden, UT or Hawaii, or Phoenix: all in the western half.  It still makes sense to see what the high dollar shops offer for the money so when you check with other shops you can compare apples to apples.  All paint jobs are not the same.  I ended up getting quotes ranging from 10 AMUs to nearly 20 AMUs.  I found a good local (forty minutes away by car) shop and did not spend the thousands in fuel and airfare required to take plane to the painter, round trip me home and back, and then get plane home.

Local is better if possible for any warranty work too.  But check out all the shops to see what the difference is the the product offered for the money.

But then again, getting all the information and making an informed decision is my "no brain" way of doing things.

Have been researching paint shops as well and will be stopping by and checking out several shops in Mena, AR tomorrow on way to MAPA Maintenance course in Little Rock.

Have heard good things about some of the shops in Mena.  We checked with several reputable MSC's in Texas who recommended them. 

FWIW the same MSC's did not recommend Tejas.  Apparently their quality has been lacking lately.

We just had our M20J painted by KD reese at N87, Worth every penny. I have pics from the beginning to the finish here, we are picking it up this weekend. I designed our scheme based on a collaboration of other schemes I have seen. Highly recommended!

Jeckford,

When you go to Mena, don't miss Doug Blair (Mena Aircraft Painting). He is a little out of the way, up on the hill. He did my K model in 2003. My plane has won the "best K model" at the MAPA convention every year they gave a K award from 2005 to 2011. It still looks good. He was quite reasonable, and also did my leather interior. He did both the interior and the paint for about 12AMU (but this was in 2003).

Quote: 201Pilot

For what it's worth, I never said I used the shop above, just that they do good work, and they are pricey. I have had two planes painted so far and checked out high and low end painters.  If that is inexperience, so be it.  Nevertheless, if you are going to make the investment in your plane that comes with a paint job, you owe it to yourself to check the full price spectrum.

I used a shop in the western 1/2, paid way less than the numbers above, and got a quality paint job.  I used Straube, and they are in Ogden, UT or Hawaii, or Phoenix: all in the western half.  It still makes sense to see what the high dollar shops offer for the money so when you check with other shops you can compare apples to apples.  All paint jobs are not the same.  I ended up getting quotes ranging from 10 AMUs to nearly 20 AMUs.  I found a good local (forty minutes away by car) shop and did not spend the thousands in fuel and airfare required to take plane to the painter, round trip me home and back, and then get plane home.

Local is better if possible for any warranty work too.  But check out all the shops to see what the difference is the the product offered for the money.

But then again, getting all the information and making an informed decision is my "no brain" way of doing things.

Here in the east, I had a mediocre to poor experience with Lancaster Aero (high marks in Aviation Consumer). To be fair to Lou, they used a now defunct paint product and have improved their facilities and quality control.

Hagerstown is very good, but busy and pricey. I have never seen a bad paint job for Dial ( and I have seen many). A paint job will be with you for a long time, don't cheap out. You'll have to look at it every time you go to the plane.

Thank you for your kind words Fantom. But please don't be so concerned about my posts. I think it'd be better for you to heed your own "advice!"

Now, you made the comment 16k for Tejas. I asked you 16k for what?? And compared to whom?? You have no answer. Just destructive criticism.

The gentleman's plane is in Texas. One of the best paint shops is also in Texas. If I was in his shoes I would look very seriously at Tejas. Would'nt you? Isn't this reasonable? It's a no brainer! I know you like that phrase!Cool

Quote: jeckford

Have been researching paint shops as well and will be stopping by and checking out several shops in Mena, AR tomorrow on way to MAPA Maintenance course in Little Rock.

Have heard good things about some of the shops in Mena.  We checked with several reputable MSC's in Texas who recommended them. 

FWIW the same MSC's did not recommend Tejas.  Apparently their quality has been lacking lately.