Manual gear question

My POH states, "The red indicator light will come on if the handle on the retraction lever is not sufficienlty engaged in the down and locked position..."

Sounds like its somewhere at the block that the bar locks into but I've never looked for it specifically. I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm out at the plane.

Brian

It is in the hole the bar goes into you can stick your finger in the hole when the gear is up (bar on the floor) and cycle the light red to green.  It is possible to get a green light and not have the bar locked in.  I always forcefully pull down a couple of times to ensure the bar and thus the gear is locked, more then once it has popped back out.

I believe the same switch has two functions.

(1) determines the gear light. Green or yellow.

(2) in combination with the throttle switch provide aural warning of throttle out and gear up.

When descending with throttle out, you might want to know where that switch is to provide for a quieter descent....

You can easily find it when the gear is up.

Best regards,

-a-

Quote: M20F

It is in the hole the bar goes into you can stick your finger in the hole when the gear is up (bar on the floor) and cycle the light red to green.  It is possible to get a green light and not have the bar locked in.  I always forcefully pull down a couple of times to ensure the bar and thus the gear is locked, more then once it has popped back out.

I just had a supplemental audible gear horn and verbal (through head-sets) for gear and stall installed.  Make sure and CHECK the gear lights...I used to think no big deal it is just  a switch, but switch didn't come on a couple of times and I thought no big deal as I had "pulled" on gear handle.  The gear WAS NOT LOCKED DOWN.  A clockwise rotation saw the gear handle seat and the light come on...Lesson learned and NOT the hard way...

This may sound like an overkill but on a stressing situation like doing a go-around in IFR gusty conditions it may help. I almost belly landed my first M20C Mooney because not sure what the gear handle position should be for gear extension (one of those mental lapse). To prevent this occurrence I stick a vertical text label on the handle itself facing aft reading "GEAR DOWN" when the gear was extended. Behind the gear handle on the little plastic console I stick another that reads "GEAR UP". The handle position could be confusing at times if you fly an electric gear plane where the gear switch down position is for extended position.

José 

José-

Maybe a little overkill, but safety first!  It's a good idea.

During my transition training to a Mooney, with a whole two hours retract/Mooney time, the instuctor pulled the engine power in the pattern after I had lowered my gear, on short final I was well lined up, and I retracted my gear thinking it was time to put it down now that I've made the runway.  I quickly put it back down, but we did a go around anyway.  Good lesson.  I had not yet gotten used to the gear position, and knew I had to put it down once the runway was made, I guess completely forgetting that I had just put it down on downwind. 

My gear is now electric, but that taught me a valubable lesson in "green light over the fence" to always double and tripple gumps check.  It has take me a while but I'm finally okay with not manually moving my arm and physically checking the johnson bar is in place as part of my gear down procedure.

-Seth

Quote: lamont337

My POH states, "The red indicator light will come on if the handle on the retraction lever is not sufficienlty engaged in the down and locked position..."

Sounds like its somewhere at the block that the bar locks into but I've never looked for it specifically. I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm out at the plane.

Brian

Quote: nosky2high

I've got a question and I certainly mean no offense by this.

How does anyone with over a couple hundred hours of time in your personal Mooney land gear up? The difference in landing speed, low speed handling, and control feel are night and day when the gear is down vs up. I've "tried" to land gear up a few times, and the airplane just won't slow down.

My personal technique is to full stall land as short as possible with as little braking as possible everytime I fly. Maybe that helps. And I absolutely check the "green" light during the pattern/landing sequence. Also my wife and kids know to call it out on every before landing check and my right seater is trained to slide their thumbnail over the bar handle to ensure proper seating. Still I practiced a few landings as if I'd completely forgotten all my checks and don't see how I wouldn't notice on final that my speed isn't bleeding off and the aircraft isn't handling or flying properly. Just my observation and opinion.

YMMV,

How does anyone with over a couple hundred hours of time in your personal Mooney land gear up? The difference in landing speed, low speed handling, and control feel are night and day when the gear is down vs up. I've "tried" to land gear up a few times, and the airplane just won't slow down.

My personal technique is to full stall land as short as possible with as little braking as possible everytime I fly. Maybe that helps. And I absolutely check the "green" light during the pattern/landing sequence. Also my wife and kids know to call it out on every before landing check and my right seater is trained to slide their thumbnail over the bar handle to ensure proper seating. Still I practiced a few landings as if I'd completely forgotten all my checks and don't see how I wouldn't notice on final that my speed isn't bleeding off and the aircraft isn't handling or flying properly. Just my observation and opinion.

YMMV,

For some reason I can post a picture from my PC, but my text is from my iPad.  Last Oct I was flying into York, PA.  I lowered the gear on downwind, green light was on.  On short final, I gave it a shake to make sure it was down and locked.  As the wheels touched the runway, the gear collapsed.  I never wanted to be one of the pilots, but here I am, bruised ego and all.  We now co-own a '78 201.

They key word is "distraction" the brain believes one thing and allows your next decision to be based on improper data.

Distraction often occurs when tired after a long flight....

Or when you get a little older.  You won't notice that you have been distracted...

-a-

How about being distracted and forgetting to raise the gear initially for some knock off the rust flying - entering the pattern and putting the gear down (up) on downwind -

I forget who told me recently that he did that......  He said the horn and second gumps check saved his belly. 

YMMV,

I had exactly that on my F once. I ended up stuffing a bundled piece of paper inside the lantch to keep the switch depressed that turns the horn on or off - I have manual gear. It turned out that the micro switch on the throttle cable housing, just behind the panel where the throttle cable goes through had moved for some reason and the open throttle didn't push the lever far enough to break the circuit in the micro switch. I fiddled with it a bit afterwards and got it in the correct position again.
When I bought my Mooney, that micro switch was tied in the off position with a cable tie, permanently disabling the horn.

• 1 month later...

I just bought an F model with the mechanical gear. You will have a green light even if the gear handle is not locked fully up. You can tug it towards yourself and it will be secured, but will not pass the fingernail check. 

I've only put about 20-30 hours on my F model. What I do is after I takeoff and raise the gear, I dim the red light. On approach/descent, I illuminate the red light so I won't be complacent with it in cruise. I will not allow the gear horn to go off. If I reduce the throttle too much, I either carry more power or slow down and drop the gear before I allow it to beep. 

Has anyone noticed that putting the gear DOWN when ready to land can catch the seatbelt latch? I've found myself abeam many times with no seatbelt on becuase of that.... not a good phase of flight to be dealing with seatbealts.

I now have a call out- clear gear.... PAX will then hold their seatbelt over to allow a clear path. Mine still catches.

I was riding right seat with my instructor one time at night in my manual gear mooney. We were in the pattern and he shooting practice approaches. We all know its a busy time in the cockpit at that time so me being the friend I am was going to give a small trim adjustment as the gear was being raised. OUCH! LOL Dont do that! Fingers do not fit on the trim wheel as the J bar is operated.

Quote: gmcd

Has anyone noticed that putting the gear DOWN when ready to land can catch the seatbelt latch? I've found myself abeam many times with no seatbelt on becuase of that.... not a good phase of flight to be dealing with seatbealts.

I now have a call out- clear gear.... PAX will then hold their seatbelt over to allow a clear path. Mine still catches.