Does your iPad overheat?

Does your iPad overheat  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Does your iPad overheat?

• Never had it happen
    • Happened once
    • Happened multiple times

Comments in another thread, plus other historical comments prompt this poll.  Personally, I've NEVER had my iPad running ForeFlight shut down on me while in flight...and I've flown in some pretty hot (>100F) weather.

Not once in the almost 14 years I’ve used one.  My strategies.

Mount in a way that allows airflow around it.

Keep the screen brightness low while still readable (bright screen = heat)

Turn screen off when not actively used.

Have it already charged so you don’t have to charge while using.

Don’t leave it in the airplane when you land for lunch (and in a shaded spot during preflight). 

• Like 5

Once and it was completely my fault. I left it on the glareshield while I refueled on hot summer day . .  not too sharp on my part.

I used standard iPads, the standard size in the Pro model, Minis - none of them overheated, other than the one I left in the Sun, and I live in Texas. I also didn't leave them in a thick case. I now use an Aera 760 mounted on the yoke, wired in,  that stays in the airplane, and an iPhone Pro Max running Foreflight. I carry a phone with me anyway - just trying to cut back on all of the things I drag with me when I fly.

• Like 1

Happens sometimes. Usually when the sun is at just the right angle to bake it. Inevitably need to turn the screen brightness up to see it with the glare. I think the overheating is almost always due to direct sun rather than usage.

Just happened to me the other day when I was about to taxi at a towered airport. The sun was at just the right angle to bake it while I was preflighting. It probably took 10 mins before it would turn on again. Had to use my phone to get the taxi diagram. By takeoff and the rest of the flight it behaved just fine.

Happens sometimes. Usually when the sun is at just the right angle to bake it. Inevitably need to turn the screen brightness up to see it with the glare. I think the overheating is almost always due to direct sun rather than usage.
Just happened to me the other day when I was about to taxi at a towered airport. The sun was at just the right angle to bake it while I was preflighting. It probably took 10 mins before it would turn on again. Had to use my phone to get the taxi diagram. By takeoff and the rest of the flight it behaved just fine.

Get some shades

88d9097267a5c9cfeb70ac976847f707.jpg

Based on the comments here it appears keep it out of the sun and don't put it in a case goes along way to not having it shutdown.

I have my iPad in my lap without a case and rarely sees direct sun....probably why I've never had an issue.  I do have it always plugged in and charging.

It happened once with a Mini 4 when I first bought the airplane. I got an X-naut cooling case for my yoke mount and never had another problem, even in direct sunlight while charging.

Now I use a MyGoFlight articulating suction mount that lets me position my phone or iPad out of the direct sun and have no problems with heat.

image.jpeg.00c63cd9d4a8aed74dc8d4d73afe5678.jpeg

Mine only overheats if I do something dumb and leave it in the sun before flight or sitting on the ramp. One thing that has appeared to help is when I added an anti-glare screen protector. It takes some of the "wow" away from the beautiful screen, but completely cuts glare and seems to really help with cooling (I'm guessing with screen & sun absorption). Mine is in a Ram mount on the panel and has air movement around it, but never run a fan. FWIW, I usually cruise 9K-14K, so I keep the cabin pretty cool.

I don’t recall it ever happening.  I have an EZ roller Ram mount on the yoke.  I did modify the mount to allow air to circulate on the back while in the mount. Took a step drill bit and perforated the back of the Ram cradle. Holes of varying sizes to expose as much of the back as possible. I have done this with mini iPad and iPad pro 11. 

I supply external power continuously. 

• Like 1

My iPad overheats so often on takeoff and landing in the AZ summer that I just count on my avionics and a scratch pad, and having an iPad would be nice.

It's mounted to the yoke, with a PIVOT case. The case probably exacerbates the situation a bit, and it's always sitting right in the sun. 

So, essentially the same as @N201MKTurbo

1 hour ago, natdm said:

My iPad overheats so often on takeoff and landing in the AZ summer that I just count on my avionics and a scratch pad, and having an iPad would be nice.

It's mounted to the yoke, with a PIVOT case. The case probably exacerbates the situation a bit, and it's always sitting right in the sun. 

So, essentially the same as @N201MKTurbo

Most of these folks just don't appreciate Arizona heat. I have actually had my IPad overheat in the shade.

• Haha 1

this is my iPad Pro 11 ram EZ roller mount. 

I drilled as many ventilation holes as I thought I could get away with and not interfere with structural integrity.

I have also modified the bend at the top to accommodate an iPad Pro 11 2024 version as they have not yet put out a ram mount for it. This was originally for a 2016 iPad Pro 11. the 2024 version is approximately 66% brighter in direct sunlight, but is also approximately 1/10 of an inch taller.

IMG_5030.jpeg

IMG_5032.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg