Published Miss

Mooney People, A question regarding G1000 . Understand pushing "Go Around"  FD commands pitch up. Believe it disconnects AP. For AP coupled approach and miss,

Will re engaging AP and pressing NAV  set the autopilot to climb to selected altitude and proceed to missed approach waypoint and enter holding? 

I have to try this. 

Thanks

Alan

Personal rant. Slow down. Literally. I’m seeing way too many G1000 pilots rushing to unsuspend the box and re-engage the AP on the missed.

in the G1000, TOGA will disconnect the AP and give you the straight ahead climb that is the start of almost every missed approach. You will still get the unsuspend invitation to resume sequencing. And the manual says you are not supposed to reengage until 800 AGL. Plus, remember that unless you only fly into nontowered airports, you are not likely to fly the published missed very often, even those very few times you will go missed for real, so you may need HDG, not NAV mode. 

In training, it’s fun to assign an ATC “runway heading, climb and maintain X000.” missed and then watch them make a 180. 

In your case, take the time to look at your flight plan and make sure the next waypoint or leg is where you want to go before engaging the AP in NAV mode.

image.png

• Like 1

Toga doesn’t “disconnect” the autopilot, it just changes the flight director mode to GA/GA - at least in the g1000 i fly.  The autopilot is still flying.  As midlife says, you can then take your time to set the proper steering/mode for the required miss.  In my version it does turn off obs, so to fly published miss, i then select nav steering and my desired vertical mode.

*this is g1000 software version dependent though.

Edited by Ragsf15e

I believe the behavior of the G1000 when the go-around button has pressed has changed over time. This is from comparing references and (IIRC) Max Trescott's book. 

Looking at the Pilot's Guide Mooney M20M/M20R/M20TN/M20U/M20V 190-00647-04 Rev. B "This manual reflects the operation of System Software version 0401.35 or later for the Mooney. ", I see: 

excerpt of page 484: 

image.png.080b12e7041798b9368c428f084612bc.png

Note this is with the GFC700. 

10 hours ago, Alan Maurer said:

I have to try this. 

Thanks

Alan

Probably the best idea... might be worth checking your software revision on the G1000 and downloading a matching guide from Garmin. 
BTW anyone know how to order printed copies? 

5 minutes ago, dkkim73 said:

I believe the behavior of the G1000 when the go-around button has pressed has changed over time. This is from comparing references and (IIRC) Max Trescott's book. 

Looking at the Pilot's Guide Mooney M20M/M20R/M20TN/M20U/M20V 190-00647-04 Rev. B "This manual reflects the operation of System Software version 0401.35 or later for the Mooney. ", I see: 

excerpt of page 484: 

image.png.080b12e7041798b9368c428f084612bc.png

Note this is with the GFC700. 

Excellent catch!  Yes, it has changed over time, so it might actually disconnect the autopilot depending on what software you have.  Good find in the manual.

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Toga doesn’t “disconnect” the autopilot, it just changes the flight director mode to GA/GA - at least in the g1000 i fly.  The autopilot is still flying.  As midlife says, you can then take your time to set the proper steering/mode for the required miss.  In my version it does turn off obs, so to fly published miss, i then select nav steering and my desired vertical mode.

*this is g1000 software version dependent though.

Yes, whether or not TOGA disengages or retains the AP is it is OEM and version dependent.  I think Cirrus Perspective may have been the first to keep it engaged. The GFC500 keeps it engaged. 

But even then, NAV vs HDG is an option.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 1:20 AM, Alan Maurer said:

Hi Midlifeflyer...what does 'unsuspend invitation to resume  sequencing" mean? 

Still question as to whether the engaged AP does disconnect  when pressing the "Go Around"  button??

Thanks

Alan

As mentioned a number of times, whether the TOGA disconnects the AP or not depends on the airplane. What are you flying? If you are flying a Mooney G1000, I’d say the answer is most likely yes, but your manual will tell you. This is from the Rev D for the M, R, and TN models.

image.png.1d2627a48939f119a4b8c81a3369a7b9.png

The G1000 (as well as the others) suspends automatic sequencing at the MAP.  You need to make a decision at that point. Unsuspend, which will resume sequencing for the published missed,  remain suspended, or ignore it altogether. Because you have choices, I like to refer to the annunciation (whatever form it takes) as an invitation. The annunciation is a bit more explicit in units the like the GTN; in your  G1000 it's just the SUSP annunciations on the PFD.

image.png.6a35ff2264e943427ea80bd6b8ff08d0.png

• Like 1