Spatial Interior - Fuel Sump Gizmo

Not only is age catching up with me, it has also caught up to my fuel selector/sump plastic surround. When Bruce did my interior a few years ago, he left this gizmo and said “yours is in pretty good shape, but you might need it in the future”. Well, the future has arrived.

3b615db9bc38751471bd7b0444693e7c.jpg

Does anyone have one of these and can show me what it looks like installed? Hope all are well…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris, glad you’re back.  Bruce offered me the same thing but mine was also in pretty good shape.

I’m guessing just remove yours, match drill the holes from your old one, and install using the foam under the plastic as a gasket.  You probably don’t need the foam, though.  The screws might pull the plastic down into your carpet and it’ll look great.

Did you get your airplane painted yet?

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:06 PM, Marauder said:

Not only is age catching up with me, it has also caught up to my fuel selector/sump plastic surround. When Bruce did my interior a few years ago, he left this gizmo and said “yours is in pretty good shape, but you might need it in the future”. Well, the future has arrived.

3b615db9bc38751471bd7b0444693e7c.jpg

Does anyone have one of these and can show me what it looks like installed? Hope all are well…

Have not seen your posts recently.  Hope you are well.

If you are tired of reaching down to carpet level, the pictured fuel selector modification is possible.  This is what I did to my plane with a DER approval.  I made this assembly and it has worked well.  It might seem that it would be in the way but it is not.  I made an initial version (aluminum color) seen in the second picture.  Then I remade it with a new handle, a deeper cup, and with a base plate that includes the pull ring shaft and holds the carpet in place.  That is what is in my plane now.

I have the original version in my hangar somewhere.

John Breda

Fuel Selector & Drain.jpg

IMG_2512.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/10/2024 at 9:06 AM, Marauder said:

Hello Chris. I don’t have anything to add re your fuel selector query.

I just want to say welcome back, I’ve missed reading your posts and hope to see more of them in the future.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, glad you’re back.  Bruce offered me the same thing but mine was also in pretty good shape.
I’m guessing just remove yours, match drill the holes from your old one, and install using the foam under the plastic as a gasket.  You probably don’t need the foam, though.  The screws might pull the plastic down into your carpet and it’ll look great.
Did you get your airplane painted yet?

Hey Andy, nice hearing from you! The darker piece is actually a thick piece of plastic. Probably to provide some spacing for the fuel sump stem. It’s pretty narrow and I don’t think it will be easy to line it up to the existing holes to drill (especially since my old pieces is obliterated). And of course drilling new holes in that area raises the pucker factor a bit.

As for the paint job. Nope… still holding out hope that David finishes his cowling mod. Last year he said he was getting close but life probably got in the way.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chis,
Good to see you. Pretty sure that it is just a low profile trim piece for the sump without pre-drilled holes. I took a minute to peruse Bruce’s site and found this image.
IMG_0636.jpeg.27ea53ce974e9007406ddea713aba677.jpeg

That’s the picture I needed! I figured the darker colored piece went under the bigger piece but wasn’t sure how it was screwed in. Appreciate the research Ross.

• Like 2

Have not seen your posts recently.  Hope you are well.
If you are tired of reaching down to carpet level, the pictured fuel selector modification is possible.  This is what I did to my plane with a DER approval.  I made this assembly and it has worked well.  It might seem that it would be in the way but it is not.  I made an initial version (aluminum color) seen in the second picture.  Then I remade it with a new handle, a deeper cup, and with a base plate that includes the pull ring shaft and holds the carpet in place.  That is what is in my plane now.
I have the original version in my hangar somewhere.
John Breda
FuelSelectorDrain.jpg.921bd3f9e18b7373f0c90222c68dff19.jpg
IMG_2512.JPG.d103caa2b446fc06ff0d6c5a5c225768.JPG

Wow John! You keep amazing me with your innovations. I think it would be too much for me to take on, besides it would cut into my time looking for the failed rocket engineer who thought it was a good idea to put that fuel selector in the only area where someone mid aged or older can’t reach.

• Like 1

Hello Chris. I don’t have anything to add re your fuel selector query.
I just want to say welcome back, I’ve missed reading your posts and hope to see more of them in the future.

Thanks. I’m not sure how much I will be back on the forum. Retirement is keeping me busy between searching for the failed rocket engineer designer of my fuel selector switch, hanging out with Stinky Pants at his fly-ins or chasing the Grim Reaper off my airport when he stops by to terrorize people looking for his next hacksaw job. Didn’t realize retirement is more work than real work.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Wow John! You keep amazing me with your innovations. I think it would be too much for me to take on, besides it would cut into my time looking for the failed rocket engineer who thought it was a good idea to put that fuel selector in the only area where someone mid aged or older can’t reach. emoji15.png

You just need my 6 foot monkey arms! Every time you guys talk about how hard it is to reach the fuel selector, I wonder what you’re doing wrong, but I think it’s just my long arms!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

You just need my 6 foot monkey arms! Every time you guys talk about how hard it is to reach the fuel selector, I wonder what you’re doing wrong, but I think it’s just my long arms!

Same here…as a knuckle dragger, I’ve never understood the problem with the selector.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Installed. Just need to paint it to match the interior and do a little carpet trimming. Thanks for the help. 64421fe78e7617eff9051ee07fb4a93e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ugg...I really need to vacuum my cabin floor...

15 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Ugg...I really need to vacuum my cabin floor...

Yeah, im hoping that’s new carpet because it looks fantastic compared to mine.

Yeah, im hoping that’s new carpet because it looks fantastic compared to mine.

It’s actually several years old. I bought it from Airtex (https://www.airtexinteriors.com/about.php). Great company to work with. I ordered their stock carpet for my my Mooney but I didn’t like the fit. I asked if they could work off of a template and they said they could. Made a paper tracing of the carpet I wanted and they cut and bound it for the same price as the stocked stuff.

fa32615cda972c321dea840689b15b25.jpg
61fb17ae5abfed9597d633527e5f46f7.jpg
7d9b87ac60ad2c5a045fa071c4822e99.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

Installed. Just need to paint it to match the interior and do a little carpet trimming. Thanks for the help. 64421fe78e7617eff9051ee07fb4a93e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks great stranger, hope your well.

D