PTT Option

I have a separate PTT on both yokes, similar but different. My PC is still functional. But it's amazing how few cockpit and panel shots show either yoke.

I'll find a photo (may be on my tablet at home) and upload later.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, C.J. said:

Has anyone tried this? Avionics tech pitched this product as the least costly of two possible solutions.

Running wiring through the PC access in the left yoke horn is no longer an option.

Leather Yoke Handle Grips | Aircraft Spruce

This is the company that makes them. https://controlyokecovers.com/grips.html

They look much better in the pictures than I have seen them look on people’s airplanes. 

• Thanks 1

The avionics tech's other idea is to drill the yoke near the hub to provide access for wiring to the control shaft and then fabricate a plate for the PTT to be mounted with adel clamps to the left of the hub.

I believe the yoke is magnesium & drilling it would generate enough heat to start a fire. Anyone know for certain if the yoke is magnesium or aluminum?

22 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

This is the company that makes them. https://controlyokecovers.com/grips.html

They look much better in the pictures than I have seen them look on people’s airplanes. 

I flew with the Gregorie cover for a long time with the PTT integrated into the cover.  Now I'm flying with something very similar but it was made by a local aircraft interior shop.  Same concept.  I'd rather the PTT switch be more secure but it's OK.  My PC system still works.  

• Thanks 1

I had the Warren Gregoire covers in my first M20C about 25 years ago.  They used to make one specifically with the PC button exposed.  They worked well and were very comfortable.

If you call them, I’ll bet they would be happy to use their old pattern to make one with the PC button still useable.

I had the cream colored ones.  They looked great at first but got dirty and couldn’t really be cleaned.  I suggest the black ones, and hard-wire the PTT wiring to your audio panel/intercom.

18 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I had the Warren Gregoire covers in my first M20C about 25 years ago.  They used to make one specifically with the PC button exposed.  They worked well and were very comfortable.

If you call them, I’ll bet they would be happy to use their old pattern to make one with the PC button still useable.

I had the cream colored ones.  They looked great at first but got dirty and couldn’t really be cleaned.  I suggest the black ones, and hard-wire the PTT wiring to your audio panel/intercom.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can machine/drill magnesium if the cutting speeds are kept normal and the chips do not get hot.

Normal drilling speeds shouldn't be a problem. High speed production is where the problem lies.

Also if you are cutting mag in a lathe  keep the bed of the lathe cleaned out of chip build up so IF a fire started

there isn't much to put out.

BTW, you can't just put out a mag fire You have to smoother it with a  special black colored powder.

@cliffy Decided to go another route than drilling. Since the PC system is inop, I'll utilize the opening directly above the clock that the PC trim knob used to occupy and install the PTT there. It's easier to operate the PTT there than the other two options that were originally considered. The paint shop is stripping the yokes, filling the opening where the PC disconnect originally was and repainting the yokes black. Kind of a unique solution given I've never seen it done before, but it works for me.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:02 PM, C.J. said:

@cliffy Decided to go another route than drilling. Since the PC system is inop, I'll utilize the opening directly above the clock that the PC trim knob used to occupy and install the PTT there. It's easier to operate the PTT there than the other two options that were originally considered. The paint shop is stripping the yokes, filling the opening where the PC disconnect originally was and repainting the yokes black. Kind of a unique solution given I've never seen it done before, but it works for me.

I basically did the same thing utilizing the hole over the old clock.  However, we then cut a flat piece of metal to extend up and to the left so that the PTT is within easy reach of your thumb while holding the yoke.  I wish I'd seen this post earlier, as I have a new set of those leather yoke covers that came with the plane.  I've never used them and would be willing to sell them cheap if anyone needs them.