LED light upgrades

59 minutes ago, PharmDpilot said:

Does anyone know of a direct plug-in LED replacement for position lights / strobes / beacon for a 1965 M20C with 201 wingtip mods? 

Attach a picture and it'll be easier to tell you which ones to buy.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PharmDpilot said:

Here are my wingtips.  I appreciate your help.

440139764_734702595208300_4590876954306451978_n.jpg

440430890_3814167588819436_7337453417334991041_n.jpg

It looks like the Orion 650E is what you need, a 12v red and a 12v green.  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/orion650eseries.php?clickkey=22748

A Mooneyspacer @OSUAV8TER is a Whelen dealer - he should be able to help.

• Like 1

@PharmDpilot I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies authorized reseller and I carry the wingtip nav/strobe LED lights in my inventory. I can prepare a custom quote for you based on your needs and advise on installation. 

www.gallagheraviationllc.com <- website

gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com <- email me

513-401-6495<- call/text/mms

55 minutes ago, OSUAV8TER said:

I carry the wingtip nav/strobe LED lights in my inventory.

FINALLY got my LED Recognition lights in!!  I just had the (new to me) shop do it when I went in for Annual.

Haven't seen them yet, plane's done except for a couple of things they're waiting on to come back like the O2 tank.  Is your plane done yet?

2 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

How do you like your interior?

Loving it, or at least for the flights, then home and one other short flight before my time expired for the Annual. :D

It is a bit thicker on the sides, so a little more snug.  But I think that's more "different" than it really is that we lost much space.

OP please ignore this if it is obvious to you but I feel it should be mentioned:

The traditional style strobe lights like in your photos typically have a power supply that takes aircraft DC voltage, charges some sort of capacitor, and then creates the flash with a rapid discharge. So any strobe replacement with LEDs is not merely a remove and replace, you'll need to remove that power supply unit as well (mine were mounted to wing inspection panels) and run DC power straight to the new lighting. A weight savings!

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Loving it, or at least for the flights, then home and one other short flight before my time expired for the Annual. :D

It is a bit thicker on the sides, so a little more snug.  But I think that's more "different" than it really is that we lost much space.

(Sorry to thread divert) - Did you end up with a new trim switch or repair?

2 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Did you end up with a new trim switch or repair?

New.  From my tech life I know that some used stuff works forever, others fail in a short period and you'll never really know.  Talked it over with my old mechanic and he concurred that he's changed some and never had a problem, others the same micro switch or one of the others would fail on the used switch and the owner is then spending the same amount that the switch would have cost AND double the installation time. 

I'm keeping the other one and since there's no rush, I'll see if it is fixable and then I'll sell it. (Have to see what the process is, if any, for a repair certification.)

• Like 1