Considering a M20F - Anyone local to KPOC/KCCB (Upland/La Verne Ca)

Hi Everyone - new to the group

I am trying to buy my first (only?) plane.  Got a PPL later in life - working on instrument rating, Have found and like the M20F for the UL, Speed, efficiency - at least on paper...

I was wondering if anyone local has an M20F that might be able to give me a hand-on run down the of the model?  Or if they know anyone that would be open to a quick demo flight to make sure the model is a good fit for me?

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Wapst said:

Hi Everyone - new to the group

I am trying to buy my first (only?) plane.  Got a PPL later in life - working on instrument rating, Have found and like the M20F for the UL, Speed, efficiency - at least on paper...

I was wondering if anyone local has an M20F that might be able to give me a hand-on run down the of the model?  Or if they know anyone that would be open to a quick demo flight to make sure the model is a good fit for me?

Thanks in advance

F models are great. Good UL, honest 145kts, pretty simple to maintain.  Making sure there’s no spar corrosion is a must before buying.  
I have a ‘68 F.  Happy to talk about it if you need to.

51 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Foothill Aircraft is a Mooney Service Center and seller right there at Cable, have you checked them out?  They have an M20F for sale right now that I'm sure you could look at, since presumably they are hoping to sell it.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/228189683/1974-mooney-m20f-piston-single-aircraft

Yep, that's the one - seems to be in a generally good shape - priced a little high relative to vref.  I've sat in this one - but was hoping to "try" or get a test flight before committing. 

4 minutes ago, Wapst said:

Yep, that's the one - seems to be in a generally good shape - priced a little high relative to vref.  I've sat in this one - but was hoping to "try" or get a test flight before committing. 

You’ll want to know how much it’s been flown in the last few years since the overhaul.

19 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

You’ll want to know how much it’s been flown in the last few years since the overhaul.

Thanks!,  i doesnt appear that it has flown often the past couple years, but is hangered and kept in annual.   Is the spar corrosion easy to spot with a pre-buy through existing access panels?  I saw a different m20f with rust on the frame, hoping, since this one had a recent interior -- that would have been found at that time.

Do you happen to know - when the tanks leak (if/when they leak) - is the leak usually to the outside or towards the passenger compartment?

I'm down at KCRQ.   If you can't find anyone in your area, and it's worth the drive, I can show you around mine.  Seems like there's another F owner near you.  

The J model they have for sale at Foothill is gorgeous.  So tempting to trade but it's pricey with the higher taxes that come along with it.    

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

I'm down at KCRQ.   If you can't find anyone in your area, and it's worth the drive, I can show you around mine.  Seems like there's another F owner near you.  

The J model they have for sale at Foothill is gorgeous.  So tempting to trade but it's pricey with the higher taxes that come along with it.    

Yeah, that's a nice plane! - a bit out of my budget for a first plane

3 hours ago, Wapst said:

Yeah, that's a nice plane! - a bit out of my budget for a first plane

I bought my first plane in 2007.

I'm retiring this spring, still flying the same plane. M20-C is so incredibly versatile!

That's my only advice. I have about 5 flights as PIC in a F; a friend had one, and I was the only person around who met his insurances Open Pilot clause when it needed work.

Note:  my C has infinitely variable electric flaps (the longer I hold the switch down, the longer they move, until hitting the stops); Steve's 75 F had a slider on the quadrant with only three positions available:  Up, Takeoff and Land. My C lands great with less than full flaps, his F was five tunes better at Full Flaps than at Takeoff

39 minutes ago, Wapst said:

Thanks!,  i doesnt appear that it has flown often the past couple years, but is hangered and kept in annual.   Is the spar corrosion easy to spot with a pre-buy through existing access panels?  I saw a different m20f with rust on the frame, hoping, since this one had a recent interior -- that would have been found at that time.

Do you happen to know - when the tanks leak (if/when they leak) - is the leak usually to the outside or towards the passenger compartment?

One thing you’ll find is that the engine is much happier if used regularly.  If it hasn’t flown much for several years, it might be fine or you could have internal corrosion in the engine that would be hard/impossible to find on inspection.  You won’t know until it’s flown for a good while and see if it starts making metal.  It could also be fine.  If the engine has issues, it can be fixed but it’s very expensive.

You can pretty much look for/find airframe corrosion with a good prebuy.  Need to open up all the inspection covers and take the interior out to get a proper look.  Spar corrosion can kill these planes.

Leaking fuel tanks can be found and fixed.  They can leak into the cabin or into the wing our outside the wing. They are relatively easy to find.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

However, that could also be your last airplane.  :>  

When I bought my M20J in 1995 it was outside my planned proce range but now, 28 years later, that cost extra was so insignificant in the total lifetime cost that I'm so glad I stretched.  It is great when you can buy your forever plane first.

• Like 2

I've owned my F for a little over 6 years and I'm based at KPOC.

Happy to answer any questions and show you the plane, but the sad reality is that I don't have smooth insurance coverage so I can't offer a ride.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

If you're still interested, I am based at KCNO. I can show you mine 1967 M20F with Johnson Bar gear. 

I will be there on Saturday for the display day. Look for yellow N6338Q, PM to coordinate.