What speed to fly an M20E with gear down

I'm havoig an M20E delivered from Pa to Mn this week. The gear will be down for the trip. What airspeed is recommended and what fuel burn should I anticipate at that airspeed? Any other advice/precautions like cylinder overheating potential etc.

I dunno about fuel burn, but I can tell you that my E model will not fly faster than 138 mph with the gear down.  Don't ask me how I know this. 

If I was doing this on purpose, I would try and keep it at or below 120 mph.

Well the POH is pretty explicit that gear speed is 105kts.  I do not see any differentation between Vlo and Vle made in the manual for my 67.  That being said, the primary reason for the limitation in your application is to protect the the gear doors from being overstressed. There are some folks that might be tempted to just remove the doors and fly it like a D model. That would likely only get you an extra 20-25kts.

Why not just have the gear inspected in PA before deprture?

Assuming this is going to be at least a 700nm trip into a headwind at 105KIAS it'll be just like flying a 172 but with better climb and a CS prop.  I cant give you an exact power setting for Vle. If it were me, I'd run what ever MP would give me 105kts at ~20LOP...

There must be more information to this story.  Flying a Mooney on a long cross country flight with the gear intentionally down as a first flight after the sale sounds like the first link in an important chain or I missed an important detail.

Since you are asking, consider additional assistance.  Either mechanical or instructor....

Please share with us, Why would you want to fly so long with the gear down?

Good luck with the new machine.

Best regards,

-a-

Quote: carusoam

There must be more information to this story.  Flying a Mooney on a long cross country flight with the gear intentionally down as a first flight after the sale sounds like the first link in an important chain or I missed an important detail.

Since you are asking, consider additional assistance.  Either mechanical or instructor....

Please share with us, Why would you want to fly so long with the gear down?

Good luck with the new machine.

Best regards,

-a-

Dave,

How far away is a "good" mechanic?  I was thinking, go directly there or bring the mechanic to the plane.

Either the plane was deficient or the pilot did not have a proper signature in a proper log book.

The situation is probably not that critical, but it sounds to me, like an unknowing person could start an unfortunate chain of events using this logic.

A Mooney savvy pilot would probably get things fixed prior to a long cross country. A new guy may think everyone else would take this same short cut.

I'm sharing my opinion, that if he has to ask this question, he already knows the answer.  It seems that there is not enough information available to commit that flight.

He is apparently trading additional risk, in a new-to-him plane, to save a few bucks.  

I think it is time to: Stop, Think and Plan...

Or he really just needed to know the fuel flow with the gear down.

I maybe saved the new guy some heart-ache, or ticked off a guy who know's better.

I feel better now...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm not sure I understand. What is the risk of flying with the gear down. The limitations on my plane have a gear extension speed, a gear retraction speed and a flying with the gear down speed. As long as I don't exceed those speeds, I was not aware it would matter how far I flew under those speeds.

Nothing hidden here guys. I just found a good deal on a plane that the gear collapsed while taxiing. I also found a guy in Mn that has done this type of work and is willing to let me participate in the repair. I enjoy getting my hands dirty, learning the ins and outs of my plane and saving a few bucks. 

Don,

With all due respect. There are no issues of someone with your skills, flying an aircraft in airworthy condition, with the gear down, over several hundred miles.

My concern was that Nels was potentially missing two important details. Your skills and an aircraft in airworthy condition.

The short text looked like high risk to save a few bucks.  I didn't want to see a young guy make a mistake that he couldn't undo.

His response indicates that additional thought has been made.  I feel better now....

Best regards,

-a-