Main gear hubcaps Replacement Hub Caps for 6.00 x 6 Wheels M-199-000 Anybody use these?

67 M20F.  I feel the need to get some hubcaps to cover the main gear bearings on the wheels.   I ran across this on Wag Aero:
https://www.wagaero.com/replacement-hub-caps.html

Says it will fit most 6.00 x 6 wheels, which is what the M20 has.   They are plastic and cost $7.50 each.   That's not a typo!

Any thoughts?   My castle nuts are open to the air now and I have to clean grease off the bottom of my plane!

Wag-Aero hub cap.png

@Bobaran  I'd think p/n 158-01000 is your best bet. I had mine replaced at annual in April due the cotter pin scoring the inside of them. I bought a pair of salvaged ones for $170 from Wentworthaircraft.com    Brand new price was $500 for just one from a source I can't remember anymore.  Fifteen dollars is way better than $170 but metal is way better than plastic. Just my .02 cents.

pn158-01000wheelcap.jpeg.817a6f7bd775d616fa3cef9f3cd32074.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Your wheels shouldn't be throwing a lot of grease. First, there is a felt seal that is supposed to keep the grease in, and water and dirt out of, the bearing. They are not the best seals. Parker now makes rubber ones that are better but expensive. The felt ones, can easily be replaced if they are worn out. Second, some people use way too much grease. The grease only goes in the bearing itself, and just enough to pack it. BTW, the recommended grease is now Mobil SHC 100.

If you do put on hubcaps, take note of the screw size in the IPC. They are pretty short. If too long a screw is used, it will poke through the soft magnesium wheel rim into the tire.

Skip

• Like 1