Abandoned and Derelict Mooney’s

takair

1 hour ago, 1980Mooney said:

Something doesn't make sense.  If it is N888DF, ADSBExchange shows it flying in north TX, north LA and south AR as late as July 24, 2023.  It is blocked on FlightAware.  So it appears to be a fairly recent incident - maybe a prop strike.  But the incident flight to north Arkansas doesn't show up.  

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ac3bde&lat=33.160&lon=-93.600&zoom=9.6&showTrace=2023-07-24&trackLabels

It is a Missile conversion with an IO-550A and a crazy expensive full feathering Hartzell Scimitar prop.

Here is an ad from around 2015 - N888DF | 1992 MOONEY M20J 201 MISSILE on Aircraft.com

That is a terrible place to be replacing an engine and prop.  A Missile requires a lot more manhours/complexity to remove/replace/set up compared to a regular J.  Working uncovered in the sun, rain and dirt can't be conducive to the best installation.  They need a crane truck too.  

This same plane suffered a left gear collapse by a new owner in 2011 - slide off the runway and tore the plane up pretty good.  

"AIRCRAFT LANDING ON RUNWAY 2 AT LOT. ON ROLLOUT, THE LEFT MAIN LANDING GEAR COLLAPSED SLOWLY AND THE AIRCRAFT SKIDDED TO THE LEFT, HIT A RUNWAY LIGHT, CROSSED INFIELD GRASS BETWEEN RUNWAYS, CROSSED RUNWAY 9/27 AND STOPPED IN THE GRASS TO THE NORTH OF RUNWAY 9/27 AND WEST OF RUNWAY 2/20. DAMAGE TO PROP, LEFT WING LEADING EDGE, LEFT FLAP AND AILERON, LEFT HORIZONTAL STABILIZER LEADING EDGE AND TOP SKIN, AFT BOTTOM OF FUSELAGE, REAR BULKHEAD AND BULKHEAD UNDER HORIZONTAL STABILIZER. AIRCRAFT JACKED AND THE LANDING GEAR LOWERED. AIRCRAFT TOWED TO WINDWALKER AVIATION HANGAR."

I think operating a Missile off a turf strip would be asking for trouble.  Maybe it was a forced landing?

• 3 months later...
54 minutes ago, Lax291 said:

Side to side Mooneys, one hasn't flown since 2009 (based on ADSB data) and the other flew a few months ago. Can you tell which one is which...?  This is at Hartford Brainard KHFD. 

ADSB data will give roughly the same information on my Mooney. Because I don't participate in ADSB, and have nothing installed to do so with if I wanted to.

• Like 1

I posted a couple of years ago seeking advice on an overhaul for a bravo. There is a Bravo at my airport that had a top overhaul, flew for 5 hours, and has now been in a hangar for probably 20 years. Folks have approached the owner but he wants a lot of more than anyone is willing to offer considering the engine has not turned over in 20 years. I looked at it once because frankly the paint still looks good but the fuel tanks were bone dry and could see the sealant cracked. Considering the cost of the overhaul and tank reseal and all the other things that go bad from inactivity for so long I decided what I could offer is so far from what the owner is looking for that it was not worth even asking. It is still in the hangar today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Hector said:

I posted a couple of years ago seeking advice on an overhaul for a bravo. There is a Bravo at my airport that had a top overhaul, flew for 5 hours, and has now been in a hangar for probably 20 years. Folks have approached the owner but he wants a lot of more than anyone is willing to offer considering the engine has not turned over in 20 years. I looked at it once because frankly the paint still looks good but the fuel tanks were bone dry and could see the sealant cracked. Considering the cost of the overhaul and tank reseal and all the other things that go bad from inactivity for so long I decided what I could offer is so far from what the owner is looking for that it was not worth even asking. It is still in the hangar today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Man, what a waste. 

This picture was taken 5 years ago at Hodges airpark, south of Savannah. I was told it was sitting there for a long time but now it's not visible on Google Satellite photo and flightaware shows some intrepid sole flew it in 2022. I hope it gets restored...

image.jpeg.fa958a5f10b1738e0b35ef8b50d0e857.jpeg

13 hours ago, Igor_U said:

This picture was taken 5 years ago at Hodges airpark, south of Savannah. I was told it was sitting there for a long time but now it's not visible on Google Satellite photo and flightaware shows some intrepid sole flew it in 2022. I hope it gets restored...

Looks like this one starred in a movie at some point. 

Double Take

(Link goes to a bunch of photos on a movie set.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Igor_U said:

FAA shows that the registration was "cancelled" in 2013.  I bet it got scrapped.  Sometimes the wrong N number gets attributed to a flight on FlightAware - especially in pre ADS-B aircraft.  

Something about boats and airplanes, where some aging folk, usually with comfortable money reserves, just pay to watch them rot until they die. 
It’s difficult to understand, but I attribute it to not wanting to let go of that period, memory or ambition. I suspect we all get there, hopefully we don’t take our birds down with us!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Schllc said:

Something about boats and airplanes, where some aging folk, usually with comfortable money reserves, just pay to watch them rot until they die. 
It’s difficult to understand, but I attribute it to not wanting to let go of that period, memory or ambition. I suspect we all get there, hopefully we don’t take our birds down with us!

If I lose my medical, Myrtle goes up for sale the next day.