Turbo or no turbo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: Parker_Woodruff

Getting above the WX is a huge consideration, especially over the pesky Florida summer convective buildups that plague us from May-Sept or so.

Another reason for a turbo is to cut down on cross country flight time.

Yesterday I spent most of my flight getting 185 KTAS out of a 220 horse airplane burning 11.9-12.2 GPH

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N252BH/history/20120310/2200Z/KGGG/KLAL

Christian,

Sometimes, Maybe, It Depends.

I really wanted a Rocket, but the realities of northern flying in helped me rationalize a NA Mooney.  90% of the days around here don't allow you to legally touch clouds because of that problematic known icing thing.  

Job has a good point about flying in the Rockies.  Most all Alaska based aircraft safely crossed the Rockies to get here.  I crossed them last month, but it was a standard day and not a crazy hot summer in Arizona.  

My problem now is waiting for warmer air to avoid icing on the long trip north.  With typical stratoform northern cloud layers you will most likely be able to see and avoid all problematic weather before you climb into it as it all problematic.

Good luck with your decision as both would serve you well.

-Mark

Jeez for 40K, you could sell the M20F for 60K, take that, and the 40K so you got 100K now, and get a M20K or an already converted M20F turbo ad money left over for Garmin goodies.  Heck, for 100K perhaps you could get a TKS Mooney.

Yea I could sell the F, but....then I venture into the unknown....I know my airplane pretty well now and I would hate to buy something that has hidden problems for me to find.  I like the K's but not enough to have to replace cylinders at 1000 hours.  I have heard to many bads than goods with reguards to the engine put in the K.  Not to mention the additional cylinders to worry about.  Maybe someday...but for now the 155KTAS and 9-11K cruise will suite me just fine.......like someone said before.......if you want to fly faster all you need is more money  :-)

Ray, your F is identical to my J in performance. If I had yours, I would not consider selling it for something less than a major upgrade, like an Ovation or Encore.  Yours seems to be possessed just like Ross's.  But his has ridiculous 310 CHTs on the hottest day. Still though. The F when set up right is an amazing machine.  Twenty years later the J comes out.  Never in the history of man has someone made such a big deal over ten knots.

"Never in the history of man has someone made such a big deal over ten knots."

LOL.....yea no kidding...from time to time I like to toss around the idea from time to time.....I just can justify  it.  I love my Mooney and the mods I did to mine over the summer solidified it.  On yours are you running 75% power and getting 155ktas?  That is basically what I am doing to get my 155ktas and that is in the 7-9k altitude range

Quote: ChristianGodin

I am flying a 201 with a new IR licence. I am living in east cost and fliying mainly in the east. I feel the need of a turbo to fly over bad weather. When I read about turbo everyone says that to fly in the east a turbo is needless but never mention the advantage to fly high to overcome bad weather. Does it make sence?

I have a TN 1975 M20F.  Great machine.  Use the turbo when you need it and when you don't the turbo sits there on standby.  Parts are still available and have had to overhaul the turbo during overhaul of the engine.  The first engine was able to meet TBO.  The cylinder heads run cool (average around 320) at ROP (11 gph) and about 20 degrees lower than that at LOP (8 ghp); it probably runs that cool because of the side grills  on the cowling that were installed with the STC.  The plane has built in oxygen which makes it nice to just plug into the O2.  I've had the plane up high a few times to take advantage of tailwinds which makes it nice.  You do have to keep an eye on what you are doing since this is a manual wastegate setup.....if you aren't careful when engaging the turbo and just hamfist the turbo, you can easily go beyond 30." 

The plane has no mods other than the turbo, however, I can achieve M20J speeds up high and exceed them if I go higher.  A few years ago, I was returning from Oshkosh in my F with a friend who was also returning in his J at the same time.  He took off before me at the departure airport.  We were landing at the same airport.  Enroute, I passed him while I was at 12.5K.  He was at 6.5K.  He actually saw me pass above him.  When I landed, I had the plane all tied down and waited about 10 minutes for him to arrive. Smile

Quote: airfoill

I have a TN 1975 M20F.  Great machine.  Use the turbo when you need it and when you don't the turbo sits there on standby.  Parts are still available and have had to overhaul the turbo during overhaul of the engine.  The first engine was able to meet TBO.  The cylinder heads run cool (average around 320) at ROP (11 gph) and about 20 degrees lower than that at LOP (8 ghp); it probably runs that cool because of the side grills  on the cowling that were installed with the STC.  The plane has built in oxygen which makes it nice to just plug into the O2.  I've had the plane up high a few times to take advantage of tailwinds which makes it nice.  You do have to keep an eye on what you are doing since this is a manual wastegate setup.....if you aren't careful when engaging the turbo and just hamfist the turbo, you can easily go beyond 30." 

The plane has no mods other than the turbo, however, I can achieve M20J speeds up high and exceed them if I go higher.  A few years ago, I was returning from Oshkosh in my F with a friend who was also returning in his J at the same time.  He took off before me at the departure airport.  We were landing at the same airport.  Enroute, I passed him while I was at 12.5K.  He was at 6.5K.  He actually saw me pass above him.  When I landed, I had the plane all tied down and waited about 10 minutes for him to arrive. Smile