Prop Tuggers Poll

201er

Do you push/pull on prop to move plane on the ground?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you push/pull on prop to move plane on the ground?

I didn't realize this would be such a mathemetically sophisticated topic that it would stir such intellectual debate beyond mortal comprehension so now I'm curious if a majority does or does not handle plane by the prop on the ground. I couldn't add a poll to the original topic so I guess just keep discussing it there but find out where we stand on this poll.

Quote: 201er

I didn't realize this would be such a mathemetically sophisticated topic that it would stir such intellectual debate beyond mortal comprehension so now I'm curious if a majority does or does not handle plane by the prop on the ground. I couldn't add a poll to the original topic so I guess just keep discussing it there but find out where we stand on this poll.

The results may be skewed by the wording of the poll.  Anyone who answers is defacto admitting to be a "prop tugger."  Probably too late now to change it to "Prop Tugging Poll" I guess to concentrate on the activity and not those apparently doing it.Wink

"Now Joshua, if you don't stop pulling on that prop, you will go blind!!"

I try to avoid having to pull on most things affixed to any airplane including the prop.  Have I done it, sure and it still flies that doesn't mean I make a habit out of it.  The problem with old wives tales is you never hear the other side which are the people who always do X and then explain away impact Z.  Are you wings leaking because you landed on grass 1000 times or are they leaking due to age, hard to really say for sure which is which thus anything you can do in my opinion to minimize hurt to the aircraft (within reason).

In my opinion in life, flying, and owning an airplane there are few if any absolutes.

AC 20-37E

Date: 9/9/05

300.  PROPELLER BALANCING.  This section describes only the general issues and types of 

propeller balancing.  It is not intended to provide instructions for maintenance personnel to 

perform static or dynamic propeller balancing. 

a.  Unbalance.  

(1)  Propellers can become unbalanced during operation from mishandling, wear, damage 

and a variety of other causes.  In some instances, the process of moving an aircraft by pushing or 

pulling on the propeller blades has bent or unseated the blades to an out-of-track condition or 

damages the blade preload system.  Propeller wear and damage - and the repair of that damage - 

are also contributors to propeller imbalance.  Unauthorized or improper repair of propeller 

spinners has also been identified as a cause of propeller imbalance. 

This is quoted from: AC 20-37E

Date: 9/9/05 

So I did, but now I don't. Should add that in the poll question.

Quote: 201er