A Panel Mounted Standby Compass?

I recently read, in another post, that someone placed a standby compass right in their panel as opposed to mounting it on the bar that runs on top of the instrument shroud.

The more I think about that the more I like the idea. Aside from the obvious possible electromagnetic issues to its accuracy, is there any other reason to not do this (I understand you need the standby for VFR/IFR/Night)...but that little nuisance aside.....

Can any standby compass with mounting holes be used? Say such as this one:2090804573_standbycompass.jpg.bf58ba0c43e959d5a0cedc35e0f91a3d.jpg

Just now, carusoam said:

Looks like access to where the fluid and air bubble are…

https://www.airpathcompass.com/shop

Pp guess only…

-a-

Idk...according to the instructions you use the diaphragm at the back to work the bubbles out. Whoever worked on this compass last really did a number on that nut though :(

6 minutes ago, GeneralT001 said:

Idk...according to the instructions you use the diaphragm at the back to work the bubbles out. Whoever worked on this compass last really did a number on that nut though :(

Lots of spare parts for airpath available through aircraft spruce… if you are considering a new nut for that one….  

Best regards,

-a- 

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Lots of spare parts for airpath available through aircraft spruce… if you are considering a new nut for that one….  

Best regards,

-a- 

No. I already bought a brand new replacement compass (exact same one)...but am rethinking the whole mounting option and will probably return that one and get the panel mounted version instead:323793761_standbycompass_2copy.png.8d1a243a0ca8ef94dcba1f82c1291a3e.png

• Haha 1

Many Mooneys got the panel mount one…

Airpath shows many options that I didn’t ever know about…

and options for the times the calibration isn’t strong enough…

There are also degaussing conversations around here for the times your steel cage gets over magnetized…

:)

-a-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Many Mooneys got the panel mount one…

Airpath shows many options that I didn’t ever know about…

and options for the times the calibration isn’t strong enough…

There are also degaussing conversations around here for the times your steel cage gets over magnetized…

:)

-a-

The only thing that bugs me about the AirPath compass is why cant they highlight their name in white...would be nice :)

376264202_standbycompass_2Acopy.png.08dcd3c9c1e1b8c84d7f6ec436ca9c84.png

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

BTW, that is your main compass. The one in panel (G5, KCS55) are not the ones that make you legal. 

? My understanding is it is the Standby Compass....required as a backup should your main compasses (the ones run off a flux valve or magnetometer failed)?

Rich,

I didn’t know that… :) (at MS… I learn something new to me frequently…)

There is another compass brand that is often selected stronger than Airpath… to mount on the vertical tube…

In my O… I have an Airpath residing on the top side of the glare shield… nicely encased in a plastic cover to make it look finished….

I did use my compass once, as I was flying a circle trying to follow a failing HSI… :)

Best regards,

-a-

I carry a hiking compass as a backup.  It is last in the chain of backups.   One on the bar above the panel.  Phone, tablet, Stratux.    Dynon D10A   Dynon VFR Only, Garmin 430W      In ascending order.

1 hour ago, GeneralT001 said:

? My understanding is it is the Standby Compass....required as a backup should your main compasses (the ones run off a flux valve or magnetometer failed)?

Well, it is just semantics. The magnetic compass is required by regulation. The fancy ones you use every day are not required. The magnetic compass requires a compensation card. The fancy ones do not. That’s because you can always check them against the magnetic compass.

3 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Well, it is just semantics. The magnetic compass is required by regulation. The fancy ones you use every day are not required. The magnetic compass requires a compensation card. The fancy ones do not. That’s because you can always check them against the magnetic compass.

I guess I'm always thinking IFR :)