Bravo Engine Overhaul Recommendations

18 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

So is that a partial loss of power until you got it down? Does not sound like fun.  Were there any indications before failure?

Since I purchased the plane in OCT 2020, it was new to me. The oil analysis was normal at the time of purchase. The last oil analysis in March 2021 was high in iron. I had the plane in for oil change that FRI and this happened on a SUN. I was burning one quart of oil with each fill up. I purposely chose the highest altitude from KBTR to KTUS for safety. About 10 min prior to the incident,  my fuel burn was jumping all over the place. The oil pressure was on the high end of normal. The ironic thing is I was reading the POH the get more info on these 2 clues. When the incident occurred, I really didn't know what happened. There was a loud boom, then sudden loss of power. I declared a emergency with center, and already had my landing spot picked out. I pulled back on the throttle, pitched for best glide and committed to landing the plane. I remember when landing I had 15-17 inches of power, just enough to taxi back to the other side of the field. I initially thought I experienced a total loss of power because I could not hold altitude. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/19/2021 at 7:07 AM, affricate said:

Since I purchased the plane in OCT 2020, it was new to me. The oil analysis was normal at the time of purchase. The last oil analysis in March 2021 was high in iron. I had the plane in for oil change that FRI and this happened on a SUN. I was burning one quart of oil with each fill up. I purposely chose the highest altitude from KBTR to KTUS for safety. About 10 min prior to the incident,  my fuel burn was jumping all over the place. The oil pressure was on the high end of normal. The ironic thing is I was reading the POH the get more info on these 2 clues. When the incident occurred, I really didn't know what happened. There was a loud boom, then sudden loss of power. I declared a emergency with center, and already had my landing spot picked out. I pulled back on the throttle, pitched for best glide and committed to landing the plane. I remember when landing I had 15-17 inches of power, just enough to taxi back to the other side of the field. I initially thought I experienced a total loss of power because I could not hold altitude. 

Did you by chance ever have mechanics borescope the engine to look at the exhaust valves before the failure?  Usually, there are early warning signs of failure on the valve before compression plummets. On another note, this is what arrived in my shop yesterday:

PXL_20211025_225835515.thumb.jpg.ba9a4bc3cec21117d62edef40a234ce1.jpg

PXL_20211025_225848889.thumb.jpg.d83811867d3ed1065143c0057b500377.jpg

PXL_20211025_225900473.thumb.jpg.d642481e43fe3fdad1229ef9d6dc8766.jpg

A "spare" ATIO-540-AF1B engine with 480 hrs since factory reman.  Unfortunate incident involving a prop strike a while back caused this engine to be in need of a new airframe.  The crankshaft dials out at 0.003".  My current engine has 1750 hrs TSOH.  I plan to fly the other one as long as she can, get this one ready in the meantime (IRAN or an overhaul) and then swap and sell the other one as a core or once it's overhauled too.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, alextstone said:

Did you by chance ever have mechanics borescope the engine to look at the exhaust valves before the failure?  Usually, there are early warning signs of failure on the valve before compression plummets. On another note, this is what arrived in my shop yesterday:

PXL_20211025_225835515.thumb.jpg.ba9a4bc3cec21117d62edef40a234ce1.jpg

PXL_20211025_225848889.thumb.jpg.d83811867d3ed1065143c0057b500377.jpg

PXL_20211025_225900473.thumb.jpg.d642481e43fe3fdad1229ef9d6dc8766.jpg

A "spare" ATIO-540-AF1B engine with 480 hrs since factory reman.  Unfortunate incident involving a prop strike a while back caused this engine to be in need of a new airframe.  The crankshaft dials out at 0.003".  My current engine has 1750 hrs TSOH.  I plan to fly the other one as long as she can, get this one ready in the meantime (IRAN or an overhaul) and then swap and sell the other one as a core or once it's overhauled too.  

What a beauty, sure is nice to have a spare. I like the tire it's on ... That's the way to ship. 

The engine was borescoped and showed no signs. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was recently told a Lycoming factory reman (not new) TIO-540 AF1B for a Mooney Bravo AFTER you receive a credit for your engine core is $125,000.00. You could expect to add $10,000.00 for the R&R bringing you approximate total to $135,000.00. The wait for this engine is approximately 1.5 years!! Can anyone confirm this to actually be the case?

Edited by FAST FLIGHT OPTIONS LLC

On 7/11/2021 at 10:19 PM, philiplane said:

A factory reman comes with a new exhaust system, (except the tailpipe) since those are Lycoming parts, not Mooney parts. That is a significant and often overlooked benefit to the factory engine, whether rebuilt or overhauled.

This

1 hour ago, FAST FLIGHT OPTIONS LLC said:

I was recently told a Lycoming factory reman (not new) TIO-540 AF1B for a Mooney Bravo AFTER you receive a credit for your engine core is $125,000.00. You could expect to add $10,000.00 for the R&R bringing you approximate total to $135,000.00. The wait for this engine is approximately 1.5 years!! Can anyone confirm this to actually be the case?

Not sure about the wait time.

image.png