Oil cooler relocation kit.

Is the engine off with the engine mounting frame or without? I have the Laser kit and it installs very close to the engine mount/frame. How close also may also depend on your oil cooler. If you have "welding spots", sticking out on the outer housing of the oil cooler, it gets even closer. If the housing of the oil cooler is flat, it is easier. I put some leather in between, to see if there is any contact during vibration.

Installation takes "a motivated weekend". When the engine is installed, attaching the rear mounts of the baffles ist no joy. This may be much easier with the engine off. Nevertheless when the engine is off without the mount, be aware to retrim, when installing the engine.

When you have the oil cooler installed, consider to close the gaps on the side with either e proper instant seal or bend yourself some aluminium which you mount in. The better airflow will drop oil temp by a few degrees. Otherwise with the relocation it felt like the oil gets a little bit hotter.

Get a good and sharp drill to get rid of the rivets of the former oil cooler mounting frame at the front cowling.

Ingo

• 9 months later...
23 hours ago, Woodpile said:

WooHoo! My oil temp used to stay at the top of the green the whole time I was in cruise.  I just finished the Lasar relocation kit and lower cowl mod - now i have all that green north of the needle

What is the lower cowl mod with the oil cooler relocation?  Is it just plugging the hole in the lower cowling where the oil cooler was located?  Or is it something else?

The Lasar oil cooler relocation kit contains new brackets to install behind the left rear cylinder by changing out the baffle section. It includes new, shorter hoses, and a panel to close over the hole in the original lower cowl location.

I also added the Lasar cowl enclosure which reduces the intake by about 1/2. When I discussed this with Lasar, they told me the original designed intake around the spinner is so large that it over pressurizes the the engine compartment to the point that on some aircraft airflow is backwards (or at least stagnant) around the oil cooler - leading to poor cooling performance. 

I made both adjustments at the same time. 1200 in parts, 1200 in labor.

The baffles probably need some tinkering - see above posts from others. We had to reposition it just a touch more outboard, and close a small gap.

• 7 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 9:50 AM, Woodpile said:

The Lasar oil cooler relocation kit contains new brackets to install behind the left rear cylinder by changing out the baffle section. It includes new, shorter hoses, and a panel to close over the hole in the original lower cowl location.

I also added the Lasar cowl enclosure which reduces the intake by about 1/2. When I discussed this with Lasar, they told me the original designed intake around the spinner is so large that it over pressurizes the the engine compartment to the point that on some aircraft airflow is backwards (or at least stagnant) around the oil cooler - leading to poor cooling performance. 

I made both adjustments at the same time. 1200 in parts, 1200 in labor.

The baffles probably need some tinkering - see above posts from others. We had to reposition it just a touch more outboard, and close a small gap.

I just ordered the Lasar oil cooler relocation kit, since I have to replace my timed out oil cooler hoses anyway. Hoping that with a shorter oil route to cooler and lack of the exhaust systems near the oil cool hoses it will help to keep my oil temp down. 

Great point on the overpressurization of the engine compartment. I have no issue with cyl temps, but definitely running out of "green" on the oil temp. Oil pressure is nominal. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/14/2024 at 4:49 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

I am considering to get the STC. I was wondering if somebody has a picture of how the instalation looks like. In particular if the baffles que modified.

Thanks!

Oscar

The back left baffle will have to be cut. Also CHECK the dry fit before using the STC supplied template. I followed the provided buffle template and my oil cooler ended up rubbing the motor mount, so I had to re-do the holes placement.

IMG_9968.JPG.bb94b925ec634e4baef6f41e57e5a001.JPGIMG_9969.JPG.9a928d7231cc8dd5938888c84c2a6162.JPGIMG_9970.JPG.65019d5aad8d654fb050a79e32a5089a.JPG

image.png.8757c56e6ba288f0a2e33f7a7706b1cf.png

• Like 2

On 4/14/2024 at 1:49 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

I am considering to get the STC. I was wondering if somebody has a picture of how the instalation looks like. In particular if the baffles que modified.

Oscar… LASAR website says the STC is limited to open baffles (no doghouse), 1967 and later E / F models.

https://lasar.com/stc-kits/laskit126

• Like 2

On 4/14/2024 at 4:49 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

Thanks!

Oscar

Oscar,

What do you perceive to be the benefit of relocating the cooler? 

Can someone with the mod speak to the ease (or lack thereof) of removing the left magneto with the cooler in place?

21 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Oscar,

What do you perceive to be the benefit of relocating the cooler? 

Can someone with the mod speak to the ease (or lack thereof) of removing the left magneto with the cooler in place?

I wonder what the benefit is too. I haven’t had oil temperature problems with the stock position, so I have to assume something besides position of the oil cooler is causing the high temps?  Mine sits at 185 degrees unless I let my chts sit up around 400 in a climb (slow speed) in real hot air.  Just holding a cruise climb and keeping chts under control seems to be enough to keep it below 200 for sure. 

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

I wonder what the benefit is too. I haven’t had oil temperature problems with the stock position, so I have to assume something besides position of the oil cooler is causing the high temps?  Mine sits at 185 degrees unless I let my chts sit up around 400 in a climb (slow speed) in real hot air.  Just holding a cruise climb and keeping chts under control seems to be enough to keep it below 200 for sure. 

Likewise. Mine runs about the same even in prolonged hot summer climbs, 200 is an exception.

On 4/17/2024 at 10:44 PM, Andy95W said:

@Oscar Avalle- I thought this STC was only available for the E and F models, that didn’t have the battery box mounted to the firewall.  Unless your M20C has its battery relocated to the tail?

Yes indeed, but I am applying the STC to upgrade my M20C to a M20E. So I am swapping the O-360 for a IO 360 and moving the battery and so on.

So major surgery.

Oscar 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 5:42 PM, Ragsf15e said:

I want to move mine just to get it out of the direct path of rocks and debris.

Just now, McMooney said:

I want to move mine just to get it out of the direct path of rocks and debris.

Fair enough, they do take some abuse there, but you can (carefully) straighten  out the vanes.  My last oil cooler lasted the life of the cooler.  It just feels like a solution in search of a problem?  But then I also love upgrading my airplane and they don’t always make sense:

• Thanks 1