Squat-method landing gear disc replacement

How do I tell if my '67 M20E has the new or old style donuts/gear? I have 3 donuts in the nose gear whereas the diagrams in the parts manual show 4 donuts in the nose gear. Can we say that the 4-donut version is the old style and 3-donut solution is the new style?

Thank you.

Edited by FlyingDude

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a picture of the spacer....

Firestone

I had to replace one of shock tower bolts (914003-501), I ended up going the salvage route.  I think they were like thirty bucks a piece. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FlyingDude said:

How do I tell if my '67 M20E has the new or old style donuts/gear? I have 3 donuts in the nose gear whereas the diagrams in the parts manual show 4 donuts in the nose gear. Can we say that the 4-donut version is the old style and 3-donut solution is the new style?

Thank you.

Yes, that is correct.  Nosegear 3 discs=new style.

• Like 1

The old Firestone donuts look like spindly legs...

They would stand out when parked next to any other Mooney.... each stack had an extra donut count...

Essentially the same height, just different donut dimensions....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Just as a note .. when changing out the donuts on my (low time) A model - the most worn parts in the gear where the two pivot bolts that attach the nose wheel trunnion to the airframe.  They were deformed and allowing play into the retract mechaniP1012022.thumb.JPG.201dbbdab2cb81961922886da74af092.JPGsm. Would suggest inspecting these at nose gear OH.  Joe

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mike20papa said:

Just as a note .. when changing out the donuts on my (low time) A model - the most worn parts in the gear where the two pivot bolts that attach the nose wheel trunnion to the airframe.  They were deformed and allowing play into the retract mechaniP1012022.thumb.JPG.201dbbdab2cb81961922886da74af092.JPGsm. Would suggest inspecting these at nose gear OH.  Joe

⬆️⬆️⬆️ I second that recommendation. 

LASAR has oversized bushings and bearings that are PMA’ed for our landing gear.

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

Spindly!

:)

That first donut has been completely compressed...

Go MS!

-a-

I noticed that, too, and was wondering whether the Firestone units were designed for a progressive rate or something.

• Like 1