Living with a runway

Seth

I was looking to buy in the southeast. I ruled out grass based on conversations I’ve had with other Mooney owners. I made an offer on 1, above asking price and still lost it. Nice homes last maybe a week and people are buying with cash, it’s a feeding frenzy. I eventually bought close to my current airport so no hangar home.

I also checked with about 15 airports, most in TN or FL. No hangars available, waiting lists estimates range from 2-5+ years.

Spruce creek real estate told me you need a million if you are serious.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to fly into Van Aire (before DIA was built), in Brighton, Colorado.   DIA was constructed about 4 miles south.   We parked at a very nice gentleman's house, who's hangar contained a really cherry P-51.  He flew them in WWII, and has probably gone west since the last time I was there ('80's).   They have a great paved ~4000' strip.  The entire subdivision has underground utilities allowing all the streets for use as taxiways, so the houses are not all clustered along the runway.   Very cool idea.   See it at 39.983N 104.705W.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:25 PM, LANCECASPER said:

TS36 SILVER WINGS (Fredericksburg TX)

3800 x 80 paved

Nice community

Let me know if y'all ever do any fly-ins post-CV19. I'm at KSSF and need to show the wife what our retirement life could look like in an airpark!

I've been at La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) a bit over two years now. 4600 ft, paved. They widened it a few years ago to 44 ft. We have three Citations based here and a number of turboprops. The Airpark has 121 lots on 1,000 acres. The minimum lot size is 7 acres.

Edited by KLRDMD

I grew up on our air park and when my parents passed away I moved back into their house. It’s a fantastic place for kids to ride dirt bikes 4 wheelers and horses since there is government land ( Corp of engineers) flood plain for Lewisville lake right off the end of the runway. Lewisville lake has a boat ramp that is less than 4 miles away. It takes me longer to launch the boat then it does to trailer it there. The best part of a flying community is that you get to go up in everybody else’s plane! My favorite is a Lake amphibious plane that a Neighbohr gives me a ride in. It’s awesome to land on the lake and check the water temp or buzz the water at just a few feet above it. My other neighbor likes for me to ride as safety pilot when he practices his hood work in his baron twin or go slow flight in a cub looking at all the deer in the woods from above. It’s called Hidden Valley Airpark 5tx0 on the charts and I thought $280k for 1.2 acre lot (minimum size) was expensive until I saw that ad for $1.9 million whoa. Most expensive house we have seen sold for 1.6 million but it had over 6000 sf and a huge hanger that kept his Pilatus and bell helicopter. No track homes all are custom built houses with matching hangers if on your property or get a hanger on hanger row some people have both! Dues are $125 per month and taxes are decent I have a 4000sf and taxes last year was $6200 We live just north of DFW so you do have that to contend with but plenty of VFR flying as long as you don’t go directly south. 
they have some new lots for sale so maybe build your dream home. They just finished redoing the gas pump so now all digital codes for 100LL currently at $3.30/gal we have 4th July parties Halloween parties monthly wine club 
www.hiddenvalleyairpark.org  I was telling my wife the other day you know your getting poor when all your neighbors have 2 airplanes geesh. 

• Like 2