Living with a runway

Seth

Let’s ask @Mooneymite  

I bet Gus has some awesome experience...   :)

Next down the list is... Jimmy at the Creek...

We have an MSer on the cape too...  Falmouth Airpark...

Somewhere around here was somebody’s pics of the house they built on an airpark...

I’m not jealous, I’m not jealous, I’m not jealous..... (I keep saying this for some reason...)   :)

What’s on your mind Seth?

Best regards,

-a-

Well, it's a little difficult to explain to people that don't live in an airplane community. I mean, what is there to say, why wouldn't you live with instant access to your airplane and have a runway in your backyard?

I'm at Brook Bridge Aerodrome 8GA9

2970' Grass

(small community but we have 2 Mooneys here, a G and a F)

• Like 2

As an Iowa farm boy, we had a 4000’ strip up the middle of the farm. Also was a hayfield. Later in life I had a home in Minnesota above the Mississippi River that featured an 1100’ backyard strip. An adventuresome one way ( land east/takeoff west) affair that served a lightly loaded Stinson. Now my Ohio property abuts the country airport. A 600’ stroll to my hangar, which is on the airport.

So I am quite used to the convenience and satisfaction of being at home with the plane. Of course there are seasonal restrictions to the grass runways.  Mowing, of course . But no regrets. Now with 3500’ of asphalt I am quite spoiled.

• Like 1

I have a 2500’ grass runway on my property in Maine.  I built it 25 years ago. I love to mow the runway with my 1939 Ford 9N tractor.  I have a condo at the Spruce Creek Flyin in Florida.  It’s the largest fly-in community in the world with 1600 plus homes and 700 plus pilots.  Ultra-lites to Citation jets.   It’s paved, 4000 plus with instrument approaches. 

• Like 1

We have had a very good experience at Naper Aero Club (LL10) in the west suburbs of Chicago for the last 17 years (yikes: time flies).  As compared to conventional neighborhoods, the common interest in aviation, while not universal among residents, provides an opening to get to know your neighbors. Taxiways that run behind and between homes offer an excellent and safe place for youngsters to learn to ride a bike, skate, etc.

2500x30 paved.  100LL,no service, but I've never had a problem with that; either a mechanic comes to my hangar or I fly to a nearby airport.

The convenience is wonderful, and when you land, you're home. Having a hangar to fill with toys is a big plus.

Homes are not hard to sell: big airline pilot population in Chicago burbs, and ours is one of the few neighborhoods in Naperville that permits out buildings, so the non-pilot owners include car collectors, wood workers etc.

Our Florida place (F47) is < 1 mile from the strip, so probably doesn't qualify, but it's close to fly-in.  Again: no services, and in this case, no fuel, but no biggy.  We have a car at the airstrip, and when we land, we're nearly home.

We have been blessed with great neighbors at LL10, and that will be probably the most significant - and dynamic- aspects of fly-in living.

-dan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seth said:

Please share your experience if you live on a property with a runway of your own or as part of an aviation community. Is it grass? Paved? Length? 

Thanks!

I've lived on the runway for 23 years.  Ours is "Improved turf".  The community is installing a plastic mat which will preserve the bucolic grass look, but permits operations when the runway is soaked.  Runway is 4500X150 and lighted.  Homeowners' dues are $950/year for the pool, tennis courts, community buildings and the runway.  All roads are maintained by the county.  A bit over 100 homes.

I agree with what  Dan said.  An aviation community provides so much support and there's always someone who has an answer.  Not having to drive to and from the airport is an incredible time saver for any trip.

However, there are several pitfalls.  Not all fly-in communities are created equal.  Lots of very important questions to ask before you buy (like who actually owns and controls the runway).  You'll soon learn that a hangar of your own right next to your home is the greatest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Let’s ask @Mooneymite  

I bet Gus has some awesome experience...   :)

We have an MSer on the cape too...  Falmouth Airpark...

Somewhere around here was somebody’s pics of the house they built on an airpark...

I’m not jealous, I’m not jealous, I’m not jealous..... (I keep saying this for some reason...)   :)

What’s on your mind Seth?

Best regards,

-a-

I always have a ton on my mind :)

Long term plans in this case.

-Seth

• Like 1

OK...

I see some people have Hoboken experience!

I lived in Hoboken for about eight years...  skied with a pair of brothers named Davis, while I was there... (80s memories...)

Son just graduated from Stevens Inst. of Tech...

Nearest airport to Hoboken is probably Linden, home of 201er...

It would take an hour to go visit the plane in that case...

+1 for having the hangar within walking distance... :)

You guys rock!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

https://my.flexmls.com/reneadownes/search/shared_links/4KYwK/listings/20200803173852884301000000?fbclid=IwAR394XwEhkad8WQ6K2eqlwOQVBJZaH_jcYb0VfbOJucga2FqXw2bvHSBw2g

Friend sent me this the other day. Not far from where I live but outside my budget. It would be nice though. Huge house, huge hanger, lakeside, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Seth said:

Please share your experience if you live on a property with a runway of your own or as part of an aviation community. Is it grass? Paved? Length? 

Thanks!

-Seth

I see you are in Gathersburg.  Chesapeake Ranch Estates in Calver County, Southern MD has a paved runway and Kentmorr Airpark is on Kent Island has what looks like a nice turf field.  Are you looking for something in the Mid-Atlantic area?  Some other community airstrips are gone Castle Marina and Aqualand in Newburg, MD.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Glen Davis said:

I have a 2500’ grass runway on my property in Maine.  I built it 25 years ago. I love to mow the runway with my 1939 Ford 9N tractor.  I have a condo at the Spruce Creek Flyin in Florida.  It’s the largest fly-in community in the world with 1600 plus homes and 700 plus pilots.  Ultra-lites to Citation jets.   It’s paved, 4000 plus with instrument approaches. 

Glen,

Where you at on the Creek?  I have a home at 42 Lindy Loop.  Greatest Airpark in the world!!!  And reasonable Airpark fees (like $1500 =/- a year) if you own your home.

I should be down there later this month and it would be nice to meet you.  

Tom

13 hours ago, Glen Davis said:

Dan was my neighbor when I lived in Hoboken, NJ. I miss him :(.     Now we both live with our airplanes.  I still miss him.:(  

We hosted Dan @exM20K for a visit at the Creek a couple years ago.  Guess I wasn't a very good salesman (or host) :lol: as he bought property in northern Florida instead.

Tom

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seth said:

I always have a ton on my mind :)

Long term plans in this case.

-Seth

Seth,

You're welcome to visit us in Spruce Creek, even with an overnight, if interested.  We would just need to coordinate that around my part time visits to Spruce Creek in the winter.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

We hosted Dan @exM20K for a visit at the Creek a couple years ago.  Guess I wasn't a very good salesman (or host) :lol: as he bought property in northern Florida instead.

Tom

We enjoyed our visit, and you and your wife (and friends) are excellent hosts.  The Creek is an amazing place, but we wanted something more rural / waterfront.  Florida is, like many of the big states, very diverse geographically - there's something "here" for everyone - unless you want snow and ice.

-dan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Glen,

Where you at on the Creek?  I have a home at 42 Lindy Loop.  Greatest Airpark in the world!!!  And reasonable Airpark fees (like $1500 =/- a year) if you own your home.

I should be down there later this month and it would be nice to meet you.  

Tom

Tom-

I may very well take you up on that post COVID!! Thank you so much.

-Seth

8 hours ago, Rusty Pilot said:

I see you are in Gathersburg.  Chesapeake Ranch Estates in Calver County, Southern MD has a paved runway and Kentmorr Airpark is on Kent Island has what looks like a nice turf field.  Are you looking for something in the Mid-Atlantic area?  Some other community airstrips are gone Castle Marina and Aqualand in Newburg, MD.

We are actually looking at something kind of different - I'll explain later in this thread or a different one, but I am indeed interested Airpark communities or single residences with a landing stirp in the mid-atlantic as far west as West Virginia and as far south as North Carolina. Preferably Western VA or West Virginia. 

My wife does not want to be near a lake or ocean, but she does want a mountain backdrop. So the Shenandoah Valley could be perfect, and there's a house for sale at Eagle's Nest right now. 

But this is a longer term project. We're here - right here where we live, unless something drastic occurs, for at least the next decade. 

I was not aware of some of the locations noted: I know of Kentmorr very well, as well as Dogwood in VA near Stafford, and Eagle's Nest in the Shenandoah Valley. However, please do indeed name every airpark community you are aware of in the mid-atlantic, VA, WV, and NC. Maybe even PA too! 

Thanks,

-Seth

On 1/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, carusoam said:

Heaven on Earth....would be better if the doctor moved south....but we have Phil at Avon park....

As far as living here....it helps to have an efficient plane like a Mooney otherwise you can go broke with all the flying.  So many places to fly to with so many people and events.   Not enough time to do it all....My house still looks like the day I bought it 2 years ago.  To much time spent playing around, I need to grow up soon and take care of adult stuff.

Are there any other air-parks in the world?  I don't think so....well maybe Leeward air ranch but many of those pilots spend their time flying over to the creek for lunch and to look around...LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Seth said:

We are actually looking at something kind of different - I'll explain later in this thread or a different one, but I am indeed interested Airpark communities or single residences with a landing stirp in the mid-atlantic as far west as West Virginia and as far south as North Carolina. Preferably Western VA or West Virginia. 

My wife does not want to be near a lake or ocean, but she does want a mountain backdrop. So the Shenandoah Valley could be perfect, and there's a house for sale at Eagle's Nest right now. 

But this is a longer term project. We're here - right here where we live, unless something drastic occurs, for at least the next decade. 

I was not aware of some of the locations noted: I know of Kentmorr very well, as well as Dogwood in VA near Stafford, and Eagle's Nest in the Shenandoah Valley. However, please do indeed name every airpark community you are aware of in the mid-atlantic, VA, WV, and NC. Maybe even PA too! 

Thanks,

-Seth

Windwood Resort in Davis, WV may be a good one to look at.  My wife and I just bought a cabin in Terra Alta, WV about a 35 minute drive from 2G4 Garrett County Regional.  Good luck!  Wise to plan ahead.  We keep our plane at KEZF Shannon in Fredericksburg, VA.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 10:10 AM, Rusty Pilot said:

Windwood Resort in Davis, WV may be a good one to look at.  My wife and I just bought a cabin in Terra Alta, WV about a 35 minute drive from 2G4 Garrett County Regional.  Good luck!  Wise to plan ahead.  We keep our plane at KEZF Shannon in Fredericksburg, VA.

Once we are past COVID I'll let you know the next time I'm at EZF. It's one of three airports around my in-laws and I plan to fly my daughter down there for lunch at the on field diner and a visit with her grandparents likely in the late summer. I'll research Windwood Resort in Davis, WV. Thanks!

-Seth

Just now, Seth said:

Once we are past COVID I'll let you know the next time I'm at EZF. Love the fuel price there! Over $1+ difference between there and my home field.  It's one of three airports around my in-laws and I plan to fly my daughter down there for lunch at the on field diner and a visit with her grandparents likely in the late summer. I'll research Windwood Resort in Davis, WV. Thanks!

-Seth

• Like 1