Landing Height System for Mooney

Microkit

2 minutes ago, hammdo said:

@Microkit,

I ordered the upgrade, do I need to remove the old unit first and return it before the new one is sent?

Thanks!

-Don

Thank you.  Yes.  We use the same unit you have but change the internal board.  So same sensor and case.

You don't have to send the unit back immediately.  As you ordered the upgrade; a new board is allocated and reserved for you and when you know you have a down-time and/or scheduled the upgrade date with your mechanic then send it 10 days or so before that.  Also, please make sure to read the first few lines on the "Upgrade Offer" Product page  about how to ship it back us.     We don't need the connector (airplane side), just the unit.  

Thanks

Nidal

• Like 2

I had the LHS installed last winter and it has been relatively useless for me because of the way it was installed ad the way the audio panel works on the GTN750xi, not because of the unit itself (that I can tell)

1. in order to have the LHS annunciate, COM3 must be monitored. the audio panel on the GTN750 is such that it requires a whole bunch of buttons to be pressed. Lets say I'm talking to approach on COM1, and have tower on COM1 standby. I am monitoring LHS on COM3. Now I dial in the ATIS on COM2 and am monitoring that. The  750 audio panel annunciator show "MIC 1" and "MON 1 2 3", which is correct. i copy down the atis, and I tap the MON button to turn of COM2, and both COM2 and COM3 disappear, and there goes my LHS callouts. now I have to go back and turn on mintoroing for COM3. all this happens a fairly critical phase of phlight. 

2. the audio from the LHS is almost inaudible

3 hours ago, rbp said:

in order to have the LHS annunciate, COM3 must be monitored

While I understand some people specifically request audio alert systems to be connected to switched inputs like this, I've never been a fan, for exactly the reasons you specify: just too easy to inadvertently turn them off.

I'm not an expert on the GMA35 remote audio panel that your GTN 750 is almost certainly connected to, but all modern audio panels have unswitched inputs.  These are "always on", and cannot be switched off, which sounds like what you prefer.  Modern audio panels all have gain adjustments for inputs, too.  Sounds like your installer didn't ask you what behavior you wanted, or test how it worked, before delivering the work to you.  Maybe they'll give you a discount on an update to move the LHS connector to an unswitched input, and adjust the gain.

4 hours ago, rbp said:

I had the LHS installed last winter and it has been relatively useless for me because of the way it was installed ad the way the audio panel works on the GTN750xi, not because of the unit itself (that I can tell)

1. in order to have the LHS annunciate, COM3 must be monitored. the audio panel on the GTN750 is such that it requires a whole bunch of buttons to be pressed. Lets say I'm talking to approach on COM1, and have tower on COM1 standby. I am monitoring LHS on COM3. Now I dial in the ATIS on COM2 and am monitoring that. The  750 audio panel annunciator show "MIC 1" and "MON 1 2 3", which is correct. i copy down the atis, and I tap the MON button to turn of COM2, and both COM2 and COM3 disappear, and there goes my LHS callouts. now I have to go back and turn on mintoroing for COM3. all this happens a fairly critical phase of phlight. 

I have your setup and it works perfectly and loud.  Your installer didn't install it correctly.   Mine is wired to an unswitched input with switch to turn it off when desired and also a circuit breaker.  Take it back and get it done right. 

I installed it in the Bravo.. works perfectly , loud and clear for me... very interesting to compare the way I have been landing all this time  against the call outs. .. I was a bit surprised at what 5 ft looked like.. thought I was closer to the ground than the 5 ft call out...hence a very effective  tool...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypertech said:

Mine is on an alert input but I have no idea which one.  I was out of inputs and they had to put in a splitter.  You can't turn it off from the GTN750 itself and it also comes on over the speaker.  The way to turn it off is to pull the breaker.

If you don't want to pull the breaker, have a switch installed the audio line.

@pkofman WiFi should always be there, even with Audio or Sensor issues.  Here are some notes on WiFi:

- Be within 5 ft or closer to the unit itself.  By certification, WiFi antenna power must be very low.

- Connect to it well before 3 min after Power On.  The WiFi network should show up within a few seconds after Power On.

- If you have other WiFi devices (ADS-B IN, for example) that also run at the same time, switch these off, as phones may try to switch to the other Wifi network.

- If you have a background Apps on your phone/tablet that are looking for the internet, this will cause the phone WiFi search to spin as it wants to connect to a network with internet as the phone internal network queue is full of internet packet requests, try to shut down all background apps on your phone or tablet before connecting to the LHS WiFi network.

- If you are in the middle of downloading something from the internet (such as updating ForeFlight files, downloading a large iOS update file), wait for that to finish.

- If the above also does not solve the issue; can you borrow a laptop or if you have one, just bring it and use it.  Windows or MAC.  

- Power could be intermittent, this is a very rare case, but we did see a single case where a kink in the wiring caused the LHS to go on/off repeatedly, sometimes within seconds and other times within minutes.  That single case was the reason we added the “Power On” announcement in the 200 Series units.  An audio message “Landing Height System Ready” is announced after power on with option selected to immediately, within 2 min, within 5 min or within 10 min to accommodate when the pilot puts the audio panel/headset on after Master On.  If this message is not heard, then the LHS is probably not on, or in a loop of reset.  If it comes on “again” during flight, then this gives a hint that power to the LHS was lost and came back on again so power wiring can be investigated.

- We are happy to receive the unit back, and re-perform a full certification test for WiFi, Audio & range which was done just before shipping.  If you have any doubt on the performance of the unit, do please send it back to us.  Just make sure you mark it as Returned for Service with no custom declaration value.  We will do the same when we send it back, as this will minimize or eliminate any re-import fees. 

Regards

Nidal

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, rbp said:

Where did you have the device installed?

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The panel just behind the left side gear well seems to be the most used on the Mooney fleet.  It's away from the exhaust and close to the fuselage, with an opening directly through the wing.  And it's easier to route the wires behind the side panel (pilot-side) compared to the passenger side.    

On a different note, I wanted to let you guys know that we just published; this morning, a new product on our site (FAA Certified).  It's called VBox.  Comes in two models, VBox and VBox PLUS.  This is the General Aviation equivalent of the “Black Box” with a small twist; you can download any recordings, anytime, through WiFi.    

The VBox unit records up to 50 hours of audio continuously and loops back once full, this means the last 50 hours are always available.  It hooks up to the back of any headphone jack, and it records anything heard on the headset, this includes outside communication and internal intercom chatter.    

VBox PLUS adds the Data recording portion, also up to 50 hours of Engine Data / Air Data.  The Data side is through an RS232 feed for those who have an EMS that outputs RS232 data, currently supporting G3X and Garmin Out format, but we will be adding other EMS that has an RS232 output.    

NORSEE Certified, so no need or Form 337 or IA.  Very simple to install, as it goes behind the panel and connects to the back of the Pilot headphone jack with two wires, and RS232 wire for the PLUS model.  Any headphone jack works, even passenger, but pilot side is recommended for those who use “pilot-isolate” Audio Panel feature.    

Fully potted with an aviation approved compound that is self-distinguishing and flame retardant and will protect the unit from major shock, vibration, moisture and heat.    

Great for training, post-flight analysis for Audio and/or Data, archiving and just to have the option to retrieve a certain flight audio.  Perfect for self audio notes, one can just talk to themselves, recording reminder or flight notes for later.   Check it out here https://LandingHeight.com/vbox

Thanks

Nidal

3 hours ago, Larry said:

I just received my LHS.  Which inspection panel is everyone using.  Early on, someone mentioned installing in the left wing behind the gear.  Any better sugestions?

Thanks,

Larry

On the Mooney bravo mine is a little forward of the gear on the right wing. I got it working after a a few adjustments 

The panel just behind the left side gear well seems to be the most used on the Mooney fleet.  It's away from the exhaust and close to the fuselage, with an opening directly through the wing.  And it's easier to route the wires behind the side panel (pilot-side) compared to the passenger side.    
On a different note, I wanted to let you guys know that we just published; this morning, a new product on our site (FAA Certified).  It's called VBox.  Comes in two models, VBox and VBox PLUS.  This is the General Aviation equivalent of the “Black Box” with a small twist; you can download any recordings, anytime, through WiFi.    
The VBox unit records up to 50 hours of audio continuously and loops back once full, this means the last 50 hours are always available.  It hooks up to the back of any headphone jack, and it records anything heard on the headset, this includes outside communication and internal intercom chatter.    
VBox PLUS adds the Data recording portion, also up to 50 hours of Engine Data / Air Data.  The Data side is through an RS232 feed for those who have an EMS that outputs RS232 data, currently supporting G3X and Garmin Out format, but we will be adding other EMS that has an RS232 output.    
NORSEE Certified, so no need or Form 337 or IA.  Very simple to install, as it goes behind the panel and connects to the back of the Pilot headphone jack with two wires, and RS232 wire for the PLUS model.  Any headphone jack works, even passenger, but pilot side is recommended for those who use “pilot-isolate” Audio Panel feature.    
Fully potted with an aviation approved compound that is self-distinguishing and flame retardant and will protect the unit from major shock, vibration, moisture and heat.    
Great for training, post-flight analysis for Audio and/or Data, archiving and just to have the option to retrieve a certain flight audio.  Perfect for self audio notes, one can just talk to themselves, recording reminder or flight notes for later.   Check it out here https://LandingHeight.com/vbox

Thanks
Nidal

Interesting. Does it work with a JPI 900 and Aspens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 minutes ago, hammdo said:

It might be nice to have a gps unit from micro kit that is compatible so we have options. I have a certified gps and that (obviously) is a no-go. Just a thought…

-Don

@hammdo  Are you referring to the LHS or Vbox?   For the VBox, GPS is not used.

For the LHS, we did consider adding a built-in GPS, but it will increase the price drastically.  Of course, all panel mounted GPS on certified airplanes are certified GPS.  

If the GPS is considered Primary equipment, meaning if you lost the GPS then continuation of the flight is unsafe, then you can't add the LHS to that system.   If you have a secondary GPS RS232 feed, then you can connect the LHS to that.  However, if the single GPS on the airplane is not considered Primary equipment, you can connect our RS232 input to that GPS.  

Note that we only use one way (GPS -> LHS) RS232 link, no LHS -> GPS link, and it is RS232C with all the protection; so nothing from our end can actually bring the GPS down. Primary GPS is mainly considered to those airplanes that pulled out their entire panel and installed all glass without any backup NAV/ILS round dials.    

Most setups converted to full glass include two GPS anyway, which means you can hook up the secondary one to the LHS.  A single GPS installation that if lost will make the continuation of the flight unsafe is not a good idea to start with anyway.

The LHS GPS feed feature provides 4 additional callouts.  These callouts are not the aim of adding the GPS feed, this is just a byproduct of getting a GPS feed.  The main reason is to set up a speed threshold within the LHS GPS feed; normally, 10 or 15 kt more than your approach speed.  Once the LHS starts receiving the speed indicating it is higher than the setup threshold, it mutes all output, this solves the IMC operation issue which is just a technology limitation of the laser beam.  

Those who fly IMC a lot and in certain kinds of IMC conditions may hear the unit announcing a solid layer beneath them, why flying straight and level in IMC.  Most of our TBM customers just mute it manually from the Audio Panel and add a line in the approach checklist to re-enable the LHS audio channel.  Having that feed just makes the process automated. 

Thanks

Nidal