Landing Height System for Mooney

Microkit

The installer can’t restrict 100’, or 20’ or such.  There is a button (normally disabled by default) which mutes callouts below 5 ft; apparently most if not all installers are not activating that, though we know some of our TBM’s customers, King Air and Malibu, like to stop it at 5 ft.   This is a WiFi option that the pilot can access from their phone if they want to enable or disable it.

Laser as a single beam reflects from surfaces and can reflect from water ripple, ice crystals and such.   Though, we use a spread of laser beams which gives the opportunity to use hardware/software magic to go through certain environment situations such as fog (not heavily dense) and others.     The technology behind it is to get hits from several objects at once, and the system takes the higher percentage of the largest return hit (the earth ground being so big below) and rejects the smaller hits and returns.   The LHS was tested with morning fog over asphalt (using a drone) and was operational normally.   Was not tested with 0-0 conditions, though an educated guess it will operate in fog 10 ft and below.

For the hypothetical scenario; if you are engine-out anyway, take all the aid you can get; it's not like you are not going to land if the LHS is not installed.  It's for sure going to be a better scenario compared to the same aircraft without synthetic vision and without LHS.     Though, just for the hypothetical scenario’s sake (and we are talking 0-0 and engine out); I would follow the approach using synthetic vision and take the aid from LHS for the last few feet.

Thanks

Nidal

• Like 2

I flew approaches today for 2 hours in coastal fog.  I love the LHS and recommend it to everyone, but I had to turn off the audio because of false callouts today.  I've only experienced this in fog and sometimes in enroute rain.

Still, I think it is the best bargain in aircraft safety equipment today.  From experience I think  everyone should have one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I flew approaches today for 2 hours in coastal fog.  I love the LHS and recommend it to everyone, but I had to turn off the audio because of false callouts today.  I've only experienced this in fog and sometimes in enroute rain.

Still, I think it is the best bargain in aircraft safety equipment today.  From experience I think  everyone should have one.

Thanks Don.   

There are a couple of ideas we have in mind which will make the IMC operation better.  We are just waiting on the FAA for the green light as it includes other features.  Looks like by the end of the month.  We are planning to email all customers in the database about it once done.

Regards

Nidal

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Will that be for the 200 ft version and the 70 ft version or just the 200 ft version?

-Don

The only difference between 70 & 200 is just the laser element.  Both use the same board and connector.  Even the cut-out of the 70 ft can be made to accommodate the 200 ft viewing window, as the extra cut-out will be covered by the bottom of the unit.   

• Thanks 1

@Microkit, I'm amazed at your excellent and quick response in sending out my components so I can install them this week (before the avionics guy goes on vacation next week).  Your kindness and consideration in going the extra mile is greatly appreciated.  Transitioning to the Mooney for the first time, your product will help me in getting the proper flare sight picture and even after landings become second nature, it will be a wonderful safety aid in reduced visibility, twilight and night landings.  Again, your extra effort is appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@donkaye Was great meeting you earlier today at the OSH 22 Mooney forum.   Your talk was excellent and direct to the point where it matters.   Thanks for the mention of the LHS.    Sorry, I had to bail out when the insurance guy came on stage :) 

I believe @pkofman would like to know how many hours it took to install, so he can budget and/or make sure he is not over paying.   It will be appreciated if few are able to post an estimate on the number of hours it took to get the LHS installed.

Generally; if the top glare shield can be removed easily, then access to the back of the audio panel is straightforward, and the job should not take more than 6 or so hours.   Also, if the audio panel is a remote type such as the GMA 35, then it will be much easier to reach compared to the full face audio panel at the top of the center stack if the glare shield is not removable.

The rest of the installation is really standard; remove the seat; take the side panel out, pull wires to the wing, cut the access panel

Regards

Nidal

• Like 1

We calibrated the LHS this morning in a few minutes over the practice area.  The procedure was quick and straight-forward.  This afternoon I beat up the pattern and the system was everything I hoped for.  Outstanding device.  Thanks for inventing this marvelous piece of gear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Microkit said:

@donkaye Was great meeting you earlier today at the OSH 22 Mooney forum.   Your talk was excellent and direct to the point where it matters.   Thanks for the mention of the LHS.    Sorry, I had to bail out when the insurance guy came on stage :) 

Wish I would have known there was a Mooney Forum today at Oshkosh. Today was my only day there.

11 hours ago, pkofman said:

sorry I posted  this same question in the wrong place. can someone tell me what the approximate install hours should be for a mooney bravo m20m. . curious for budgeting purposes .

Thank you

Peter

Peter, note that a shop may say they need several days to install it but does not mean they will charge for several days, so the actual quote is the reference rather than how long it should take depending on their staff availability/schedule if they separate work to different teams (wiring, avionics, machine shop, etc..)

On the other hand, many do owner-assist, not sure if this is possible in Canada.  So you don't take it to a shop, but owner prepares everything (cut the access panel, remove the seat, remove side panel, pass the wiring) and the mechanic comes to inspect, pin the wires and connect then log the work.

Regards

Nidal

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pkofman said:

sorry I posted  this same question in the wrong place. can someone tell me what the approximate install hours should be for a mooney bravo m20m. . curious for budgeting purposes .

Thank you

Peter

M20R was 4 hours physical install and 3 hours for avionics guy to hook to intercom.  In hind sight I would have just gone to avionics shop and had them do whole thing. Total would have been less.

9 minutes ago, Steve0715 said:

@MicrokitNidal, are you in Oshkosh?  If so, I’m looking at building an Arion Lightning.  Love to install this while building.  Talk to Greg from Geronimo Experimental Aircraft about doing the install.  Geronimo does a builder assist on the lightning.

Not today.  I may try to sneak out and be there Friday.   It's only 3 hrs away.  

For Experimental; it's really much easier as no restrictions on using an access panel.   Are you building this @ OSH?  or you mean later?

If the factory builder assist does not allow adding other parts not in their list until the airplane leaves; then you can at least prep the wiring before closing up the audio panel stack.

15 minutes ago, Microkit said:

Not today.  I may try to sneak out and be there Friday.   It's only 3 hrs away.  

For Experimental; it's really much easier as no restrictions on using an access panel.   Are you building this @ OSH?  or you mean later?

If the factory builder assist does not allow adding other parts not in their list until the airplane leaves; then you can at least prep the wiring before closing up the audio panel stack.

@Microkitmy build will be in November/December at Geronimo in Arizona.  I gave Greg the LHS website and my interest in installing the unit.  Reading these preps, it would be a fantastic add on to their kit.  I just thought it couldn’t hurt to put in a bit of a sales job.  Anyway…I want it!

15 minutes ago, Steve0715 said:

@Microkitmy build will be in November/December at Geronimo in Arizona.  I gave Greg the LHS website and my interest in installing the unit.  Reading these preps, it would be a fantastic add on to their kit.  I just thought it couldn’t hurt to put in a bit of a sales job.  Anyway…I want it!

@Steve0715 Yes, of course.  Thank you for the mention, and I will for sure reach out to Greg.  We really do have a plan to reach out to various kit manufacturers which we started back when the unit was only for EAB airplanes (2016) but then we got so busy with the Certification process and continuing airworthiness

Edited by Microkit
  • Thanks 1