Anybody with Surefly installation experience

kmyfm20s

1 hour ago, Guy Floyd said:

@kortopatesAccording to Savvy Aviation analyzing my GAMI lean tests. (GAMIjectors installed) I run comfortably 75-85F LOP @ 55% power, about 7.6 GPH.  I have 390 hours to go on the magnetos.  Think I'll wait.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Did you run that far LOP just to test it or do you routinely operate there? That would be past the minimum BSFC on most engines. Sweet spot is usually around 50F.

• Like 1

@PT20JI usually lean to engine roughness then enrich just enough to smooth the engine.  I don't know how far I am LOP.  Savvy somehow figures it out and lets me know.  It's nice to know I have almost 8 hours of fuel on board!  I want to go far, not fast.  (Still fast enough for me.)

• Like 1

Depending on how well your engine’s fuel distribution is...

Lean til rough, then enrich til smooth... you may be ROP when all that happens...

Without a decent engine monitor it is too hard to guess where that is...

A simple spec of dirt in a fuel injector can cause a lot of whacky fuel distribution affects...

Lets say... you have GAMI injectors in your M20K... which are so nicely balanced your engine runs smoothly LOP... and you lean it past 90°F until it just shuts off....

There was no rough... so this leaning technique can’t work...

Lean until it dies, then enrichen...?

With the M20K with a turbo leaning that deeply probably slows the turbo down too much...

This would make most people want an NA engine by the time they were done experimenting that way...

Having engine instruments is like having windows to its soul....

Get the good window...

+1 for using Savvy... very helpful.

PP thoughts only, I read JL’s posts with great interest when discussing turbo ops...

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

Good news.  

"We are looking at late summer for the approval of dual electronic ignitions. An Independent Battery Backup System will be required such as that made by TWC Technologies"

Is that the case with the LB mooneys that already have 2 independent batteries?

21 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Is that the case with the LB mooneys that already have 2 independent batteries?

I understand tese would be small backup batteries dedicated solely for EIS power which would not be dependent on your current battery(s) master relay that could fail.

Looks like the battery is $1100 for 24V, $575 - $875 for 12V depending on the required Ah rating. Installation kit is $220 if it's required for the magneto installation. Plus a few hours shop time to wire it up. Sounds like an expensive addition.

https://www.tcwtech.com/product/integrated-battery-back-up-system-ibbs/?v=7516fd43adaa