N2652W will have a new home!

I agree. 

But, she flew great on the way back! Low cruise setting and 144 knots true! 

Now mine is setup for Mph so keep that in mind but, I now have a really nice panel, no vacuum setup and, electric step! Have the stand by vacuum and bello back.. 

Pics! I have one pic in flight and a pic where the vacuum pump was.... 

Fun flying ahead! 

-Don 

20210825_105821.jpg

20210825_105828.jpg

20210825_111212.jpg

20210825_114714.jpg

• Like 1

The verdict is in:

Was 1604 now 1638

34 pound gain but, I know what I have now. 

Confirmed the RNAV IFR is good but! I'll need to watch the G5 AI battery, she was low and I've been reading about that possibility being an issue so we'll see. Flew great today. 

Now, time for IFR ticket and updated equipment list! 

-Don 

• Like 1

Quick update:

Added a noise filter to the step to eliminate noise when raising/lowering the step. Com 1 was bleeding over into Com2. Updated the GNC 355 software (certified unit can only be updated by a Garmin dealer) to 3.11. Ops ck did fine. Updated my equipment list - that was fun - after getting the weight done.

She's flying great, minimal oil usage... did the practice RNAV 18 into Commerce just to verify all the IFR updates. 

Great little plane with all the updates!  Planning for annual, then the auto-pilot. Hopefully I've covered all of first year items that usually crop up ;o)

-Don

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like my G2 insight has failed. I did the startup without the SD card and, with a new one. I'll need to contact Insight on Monday... 

I understand this is not uncommon for the early G2s as they had EEPROM issues holding the programming... 

-Don 

20210918_165246.jpg

Talked to Jim @ Insight, good folks. I've sent the unit to them. We discussed what was going on, and updated the records (me as owner). Jim did say they recommend doing the new display upgrade as there are many improvements over the display I have (built in 2012). With mail/shipping I'm guessing 2 weeks before I get the G2 back.

No cht means no flying - unless I add the other Mitchell probe back on ....

-Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G2 is fixed!  It was the EEPROM/Chip that went bad (same issue that was discussed in Piper Owners Group).

I also had them upgrade the display since I didn't want to deal with that later (there is also an issue with the displays on the older systems).  Its being recertified and will be sent out tomorrow... Should have it back in a couple of days and then I can go out and fly!

I also have on order the spark-plug type probe for the Mitchell -- the wiring is all there from what I can see so I should be able to install it and hook it up (I read where these type probes can have a 50° swing - 25° lower to 25° higher than actual).  With the G2 back in place, I can see what it reports and then set a placard accordingly.

-Don

7 hours ago, hammdo said:

G2 is fixed!  It was the EEPROM/Chip that went bad (same issue that was discussed in Piper Owners Group).

I also had them upgrade the display since I didn't want to deal with that later (there is also an issue with the displays on the older systems).  Its being recertified and will be sent out tomorrow... Should have it back in a couple of days and then I can go out and fly!

I also have on order the spark-plug type probe for the Mitchell -- the wiring is all there from what I can see so I should be able to install it and hook it up (I ready where these type probes can have a 50° swing (25° lower to 25° higher than actual).  With the G2 back in place, I can see what it reports and then set a placard accordingly.

-Don

Don,

Look for a probe similar to the spark plug probe, but goes under the bayonet holder of the ship’s CHT sensor…

Same idea, better location, and doesn’t get messed up annually when the spark plugs get removed…

Accuracy loss is about half of the spark plug located ones…

There are two ring shape sizes the spark plug one is the big one…

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

The G2 is using those locations for CHT (bayonet) - not sure about dual - I got the 18mm ring version just for backup use with the Mitchell only... I'll look at what's available for Mitchell...

Mitchell has 12, 14, and 18 MM so I'll need to see what size I can get...

Thanks!

-Don

• Like 1

There must be a thermocouple salesman around here somewhere that is willing to put two TCs in one bayonet….  

That would have two TCs reading in the same environment…

The experimental crowd doesn’t need it… so, no help coming from that camp.

Best regards,

-a-

G2 is installed and working great. Insight did a nice job for sure. The new screen is much brighter and sharper. Issue turned out to be a bad eeprom. BTW, my OAT sensor started showing correctly so the intermittent loss must have been the eeprom.

Flew great after 3 week layoff...

Nice to be flying again -- just in time for annual next month ;o)

-Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a LED beacon to replace my Whelen. That goes in next week. OsuAviator got me the one I need. That should help the StormScope too...

Pics after install is done.. I'm so ready for the TruTrak now ;o) - probably after the holidays (I'm assuming the STC won't be ready until then)...

-Don

New beacon is on and working great!  LED is BRIGHT for sure.  Test flew today and she's working great.

Right now the only 'pressing' things are the annual and the wait for the TruTrak auto pilot.  I need to do a VOR test (probably goto Meacham to do the VOT test).

I'm in search for a local CFII (Near North Texas Regional) so I can get moving on the Instrument rating.

May send out the Kx 155 for the LCD screen upgrade and all-around check out -- but only if the VOT test fails ;o)

Other upgrades I may do are the nav lights (with strobes) and keep an eye on cylinders as she cranks out more flight hours...

-Don

Found something interesting yesterday. After flying (practicing landings) I did a post aircraft inspection and found one of the universal solid rivets popped a head on the top skin. Asked Dave about those and while I've done solid rivets/bucking, this one is best done by an AP. Annual is next month so I'll be asking the AP to do that while everything is out. Looks like the vent assembly will need to be dropped down to get access for bucking. 

I guess 7500+ hours on airframe means this can certainly happen...

Just a weird location for one to pop off... 

-Don 

20211023_175803.jpg

I think there's cage under that, so it's not structural.   That means you can replace that rivet with a cherry max or similar and not worry about bucking it or removing the interior.   Double check your MM for any restrictions.

Thanks!

I cked the IPC and it looks like a rivet for the overhead air vents. Without taking the headliner out, I'm guessing it will be accessible during annual and, if bucking is required, should be doable. 

Appreciate the feedback!

-Don

2687B244-0ECB-4105-98C4-80726415456B.png

• Like 1

Zooming in on the picture, did the rivet fail from corrosion?  Can you pop any more heads off on that row with your fingernail?  Gaining access to the interior skin to install a solid rivet will allow you to inspect the area for corrosion and treat it, if necessary.  And a solid rivet will look the same as the rest of the rivets as opposed to replacing it with a blind rivet.

I was not able to pop any others but I'll try next time I'm out. I would prefer a solid universal rivet and figured during annual would be a good time. This plane has flown a lot of hours in IFR so I guess it's possible corrosion did it. I'll certainly treat the area to make sure after inspection/repair.

-Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took a close up pic. Only the one appears bad. I was not able to 'pick' any others so this is the only one. 

Annual is in 2 weeks so I'll get it taken care of then. David is sending a stainless carb heat flap to replace the aluminum one... 

Flying great so far and I really enjoy just taking her up. 

I'm finding it very hard to locate a CFII in the area to help me get my IFR ticket. I've contacted several, only one returned my call and after setting up a time, canceled right before our meeting (it takes an hr for me to get to GYI) but I guess that is the way things are now. I'll keep trying to locate someone but, it's a bit disheartening - may just be I'm hangered too far North. 

But the beat goes on as I get more hrs in my Mooney and enjoy just flying again ;o) 

-Don 

20211030_182653.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been going well - got my CFII, started my IFR training again. During the last session, found the KX155 was not IDing the Morse codes and signal was off. Went to Meacham sure enough, failed the VOT. Contacted the radio shop and they pretty much knew what the issue was. So, pulled the kx155 out and shipped her off. Hoping to have it back in 2 weeks. The shop did say add cooling to the unit if it's not already there so, I'll be planning that. At this point, everything in the stack will be either new or refurbished. Flying great used 1/4 quart of oil in 2 hours so thing are looking great. Annual is right after Thanksgiving so I should get a December annual for next year. 

Did a short IFR x-country flight to Meacham at the busy time and I handled it good (not great but good) and shot the RNAV 16 approach with the dual G5s - still need to work on slowing down for the approach but, I now have a cheat sheet I found from @Skates97 - nice work and appreciate him sharing that.

So, a lot of first year maintenance (to be fully expected since I'm flying the plane A LOT) and very happy with the plane overall - she loves to fly!

Don

• Like 2

Had a blast today with my CFI in actual! Flight from GYI to SLR and back. She took the pic, while I was climbing in the clouds, and sent it to me... 

Wife said my head is always in the clouds ;o) 

Can't pass up actual - seemed like everyone wanted it today.. Lot of time waiting before release...

Passed 400 hrs (personal flight time) and hope to pass 500 in the next year!

-Don 

IMG_8011.jpg

• Like 3

Another IFR session today with more missed approaches. I struggled with the miss and getting the gear up so, searched MooneySpace and got my answer, Power, Pitch, Positive Rate, Vx, gear up then Vy or altitude/Mooney Dip. I'll try both. She goes into annual on Monday. I have 105 hours on her this past year! I inspected the nose wheel tire and while the Concord has some life, I'm going with the GoodYear III and Michelin tube. She's flying great, running great, so gonna spoiler her a bit ;o). Waiting on the KX-155 and hope to have that back by end of annual. Hoping TruTrak gets the Mooney cert done and want to get that going early next year.

Still getting used to the G5s for IFR - have the 'scan' engrained and trying to remind myself it's all right there ;o)

Learning to fly IFR is a real challenge (especially when in the clouds) but, I'm enjoying it very much. I'm in no rush so would rather practice as much as possible. 

-Don

Plane is at Edge for annual. I'm going to plan for the right fuel sender to be OH. She reads full still when I have 9 gallons left (I only go by time anyhow). Left was OH last year by David and it reads much better. Hoping for an easier annual since I've been pretty much on top of maintenance.

If nothing major shows up from annual, TruTrak will be my next upgrade (if it ever gets approved), and complete my IFR. After that I'll then look @ fuel tank repairs for the few seeps I have. My future plan is a repaint - if it makes sense - maybe in 2023.

-Don

• Like 1