step retraction on 66 mooney

MATTS875

Yes that is it.  More than likely the rubber has a tear in it or the line is broken between the fitting on the top and behind the panel.  The rubber bellow can be checked for leaks by rigging up a hose and blowing into it gently and checking for leaks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My step was not coming up. I did not realize it until a friend took a video of a take off. The rubber diaphragm in the step retract servo had a hole. Rebuilt unit has to come from Brittain Industries in Tulsa OK. (The same folks who supply the wing levelers and autopilots.) Cost about $169 plus freight to return core. Takes ~5 minutes to swap out. Access through the battery panel. I figure dragging that blunt leg around cost at least 7 knots!

• Like 1

My step was not coming up. I did not realize it until a friend took a video of a take off. The rubber diaphragm in the step retract servo had a hole. Rebuilt unit has to come from Brittain Industries in Tulsa OK. (The same folks who supply the wing levelers and autopilots.) Cost about $169 plus freight to return core. Takes ~5 minutes to swap out. Access through the battery panel. I figure dragging that blunt leg around cost at least 7 knots!

Do you have a link to them or the listing?  I can't seem to find the replacement part but for that price I'd replace it in a heartbeat.  The tower at my home field has been watching it for me and it is never up on take off or landing.  I looked for tears in the bellows but nothing visible. 

Any help tracking down a replacement would be brilliant! 

The rubber seal is p/n 2007-7.  Call or email MOONEY and see what they can do for you.

I'd test it first.  Through the battery access, use a section of tygon tubing (lowes-HD) and apply suction to the piston where the hose from the engine is attached.

If it works, the problem is a leak in the hose somewhere.  If it is leaking you can find where.  You should be able to "suck it up".

BILL

it really sucks that we lost so many of these posts but I am still trying to find a part number for the rubber part with the clamp. 

As was posted before, mine had tons of holes in it so we have the step wired up while trying to get the step condom.

If anyone has a part number and or a supplier, please let me know.

I would like to just replace the rubber instead of the whole unit as the rest of the unit looks fine.

Thanks,

Shawn

it really sucks that we lost so many of these posts but I am still trying to find a part number for the rubber part with the clamp. 

As was posted before, mine had tons of holes in it so we have the step wired up while trying to get the step condom.

If anyone has a part number and or a supplier, please let me know.

I would like to just replace the rubber instead of the whole unit as the rest of the unit looks fine.

Thanks,

Shawn

I was told by the folks at LASAR, that you can no longer get just the rubber part and that the only solution now is to buy the rebuilt unit from Brittain. Fortunately, the price isn't that bad and I feel lucky that they even support this part at all in this day and age.

• Like 1

When the site crashed and they restored from backup, it lost a few days of posts on all the threads.  On this thread there was discussion about that part number and a bunch of pictures to discuss what part I actually need.  I sent the part number to Britain and Mooney asking for pricing and availability of p/n 2007-7 but neither replied so I assumed the part number must need more numbers.  The pictures I posted to this showed the exact part I am needing but it is basically the big rubber boot and the clamp to secure it.

If anyone has a contact that can supply those, I would be most interested.

Thanks

Shawn

Place a call to Gerry at Brittain and describe what you need. They are always helpful. (918) 836-7701

Thanks, I'll try that.  I didn't have any luck with the online part request from their site... Hope the phone will be better.  :)

• 1 year later...

Very few documents are available. Looked it up in my 77 C's POH... There is a paragraph with a minimal description.

There is a copy of a 1970 POH in the Downloads section, top center of your screen... To see for yourself....

By that time, vacuum is only mentioned for instruments and the PC system. No drawing there...

In '65, the vacuum pump also operated the step.

The vacuum pump is at the back of the engine and the hoses are pretty easy to follow.

Are you handy pulling the top cowling and radio access panels?

There may be some sealant that you will want to replace if you open the access panels.

Welcome aboard,

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I acquired a complete parts and service set for the airframe and power plant, but there's a Mooney owner that generously posted a pretty complete collection of scanned manuals on his personal website that covers M20C, D, E & F.  I keep a compete set on my iPad and have never gone back to the papyrus ones.  http://www.67m20e.com/