Has anyone installed ADS-B for I-Pad?

I would love an education from someone that has installed ADS-B weather in their I-Pad.  What is the step by step process?  How much does equipment cost?  Wired or blue tooth?  How does it function?  What are pro's and con's?  I was very satisfied with the performance of the I-pad II GPS at altitude.  NOT paying a monthly XM subscription for weather would be great too.  I'm about $45/month for XM weather on my 696.  IF I-Pad is $600 or less that's a year payback.

I did a little research on my own and found the SkyRadar equipment.  The unit is $950 and uses WiFi to connect to the I-Pad.  It appears that you can get a remote antenna $60 that would allow you to place the box under the panel.  The testimonials said it worked well only complaints were no "charts" with it.  I have the WingXPro app so already have the charts.  I will watch and hopefully price point will come down in a few months.  Looks like a valid inflight weather solution for a reasonable cost.

According to their website (I haven't tried it- I use Foreflight) WingX Pro 7 is supposed to be capable of using the ADSB data from the SkyRadar ADSB receiver, which would be a nice marriage.  The SkyRadar app on the iPad did not impress me; very rough.  But if the data can be piped to a nav app with a much cleaner interface & charts, what's not to love?

-Knute

I have the sky radar box with wing x.... New to it but so far I love it.

Radar and metars is awesome.    I thing the foreflight app is very clean and I love it.  But I really wanted radar.  And  I love the fact that I can call up a METAR while 500 miles away just to make sure I don't have any suprises on a trip.

So foreflight plus ADBS would be awesome.  But for now I tote both apps and the sky radar box.

Scott from I,

Ken the dentist/anesthesiologist with the TN m20f, now twin bonanza gave a pirep on the sky radar. ( search...)

The thing that is missing is the traffic.  WingX only displays the weather and metars, but not the traffic.

The SV would be helped by AHARS, but sky radar and this compete for the one Bluetooth spot.

I am leaning towards sky radar,  waas is also included with that.

Best regards, 

-a-

• 7 months later...

I have had Wing X Pro 7 and the Radenna Sky Radar for several months now.  I have the box tie wrapped under the panel and use the remote antenna. Works great, as I am not a fan of 'stuff' on the glare shield, I am very happy with the remote antenna.

I really like Wing X 7. I used free trial versions of different software and Wing X just 'fit' me better. A lot of using software is getting used to it, but sometimes you just feel at home with the logic, page layouts, and features. Wing X just worked for me. It has geo referencing for sectionals, low and high enroute charts, and taxi diagrams. I did not pay the extra subscription for the geo referenced approach plates. On approach I use the G430 and a plate. My weather coverage has been outstanding throughout the SW and Northern CA. I do receive long distance weather, too. 

The Sky Radar uses Wi Fi for a connection, not blue tooth. I have read that you can use multiple displays but haven't tried it.

I have the single frequency (978 MHz) ADS-B version of the Sky Radar. It works great for weather. I had absolutley no hesitation in cancelling my XM WX subscription after trying both side-by-side for a month or so.

I do not have traffic available on my Wing X / Sky Radar version because I have the single frequency receiver. Wing X has said the low altitude traffic will be added later this year; right now I would need to have the dual band receiver to get traffic. I'm looking forward to the update later this year, but it will not be a complete traffic system with the anner the FAA broadcasts traffic.

The ADS-B traffic only transmits when an aircraft in the area has an ADS-B OUT signal to let the ground stations know there is an ADS-B equipped aircraft in the area. When it knows one is around, traffic information is broadcast. Since these portable systems are 'in-only' they don't alert the ground stations and no traffic information is broadcast unless there is another aircraft in the area broadcasting an 'out' signal.  Weather is continuously broadcast and does not need an 'out' equipped aircraft in the area. So you will get traffic only when an ADS-B aircraft is in the area. That will probably be in the really busy areas when you need the traffic help the most. It'll be nice to have but not a comprehensive traffic alert system. 

I have no complaints about Wing X Pro or the Sky Radar system. The only issues I have are iPad related:

1. Even with a matte finish screen protector the screen can still glare in sun.

2. The screen is not really good for sunlight readable.

3. The iPad is a tad too large to find a comfortable mounting place where it does not obstruct controls or the panel. I'm still working on this, but if they really do come out with a smaller iPAd I will happily buy one and mount it on my yoke. 

Rumour: Some people have commented that the iPad will shut down when it gets too hot. since I keep mine out of direct sun I have not had this happen yet, but it's agood thing to keep in mind so your paper backup charts are within reach and organized.

Jim

I use wingx pro 7 and the skyradar ads-b receiver. I have a 75 F Mooney. I removed the ashtray below the throttle quadrant and replaced it with a ram mount ball and then have a ram mount iPad holder (One 6" double socket arm and one 4" double socket arm coupled by a double ball adapter, then the iPad tray) . While flying, it sits just above the left leg of the front passenger seat. I rotate it up between the yokes when entering and exiting the plane. 

The ads-b receiver is mounted below the instrument panel on right side. The gps antenna is on front dash, but small and barely noticeable. The remote antenna is mounted behind pilot seat on window. All wires are hidden. 

While I am happy with it, I recently went from St Louis to ND and I lost the network connection between the receiver and iPad a few times. To reconnect, I disconnected the power to the ads-b receiver and powered back up. It reconnected automatically, but I was hoping to not have any such issue. Glad we accidentally made it easy to connect/disconnect power to receiver. 

For my one time investment, I am not complaining. I would do it again without hesitation. 

• 3 weeks later...

You know how to do screen shots in the iPad, right?  Press the home and lock buttons at the same time.  Gives a perfectly clear image, and one less device to have to juggle in the cockpit.  Works on the iPhone too.

Quote: danb35

You know how to do screen shots in the iPad, right?  Press the home and lock buttons at the same time.  Gives a perfectly clear image, and one less device to have to juggle in the cockpit.  Works on the iPhone too.