Radio issues finally solved

Bartman

After I upgraded from the 430w to the Avidyne 440 my reception on both radios was awful. In search of decent communication I changed out the 7 antenna which was original 40 year old equipment with a new Comant CI-196 and ran new RG400 cable to both COM antennas. There was some improvement in transmission range, but not reception range or quality. The next clue was listening to center while doing a 50 degree LOP mag check and voila it improved on Right mag only, but still some static and poor range. We sent the single Dual Magneto off because it was at 500 hours anyway.  After installation with 25 deg before TDC no change in radio performance, but now my EGT peaks cooler and the CHTs run hotter telling me I'm making more power and the Magneto needed service. 

Finally I ordered a new ignition harness from QAA and installed them myself under IA supervision today. Took me about 4 hours total and even noted that it was sent with the labels for top and bottom wires reversed on #4, and even though we did it right and switched them it would not have mattered anyway since they are on the same cylinder. After quick mag check there was a fouled plug noted on #2 easily diagnosed by the engine monitor.  After installing the clean plugs and new gaskets we put the cowl back on for test flight. My 50 degree LOP mag check at 8,500 was outstanding and radi issues are solved.

This is the first time in 6 months that I have had clear reception with Indy Center. Previously it was horrible on 126.57 and ATL127.85 was just as bad, but other frequencies somewhat better. Now I have the best radio I've had, since even before my upgrade too. Apparently the IFD440 radio is more sensitive than GNS430w and will amplify noise, at least in this case. 

Time for a victory beverage !

• Like 7

Great follow-up Bartman!

Hope you got that malaria under control as well...:)  here’s to your health!

Back in the day, bad ignition wires were a common cause for radio interference... in tha automotive world...

Modern materials have fixed a lot of ills....

Best regards,

-a-