TBO Engine Poll

Just curious - I know - many factors! But how many hours were on your (lower) engine when you had to rebuild or replace it?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours were on your lower engine when you had to replace it or have it rebuilt?

• Less than 1500!
    • 1500 - 1800
    • 1801- 2100
    • 2101 - 2400
    • 2401 - 2700
    • More than 2700!

I've got just over 1500 tach hours on my 1968 M20F, with good compressions, but I'm  starting to think about the future.  I just read an article on mooneyland about "10 Ways to Increase Engine Life". 
I know I'm not restricted to 2000, so, just curious about how far I could go if all goes well. Thanks for all who chime in!

Both Lycoming and Continental have increased the TBO hours on most of their engines in recent years. There are service bulletins detailing the specific conditions to meet the requirements. The thing that strikes me as most significant is the stated reasons for extending TBO.......... Historic data.

Now we, for the most part, are not bound by TBO limitations but it is comforting to know that if used often and maintained well historic data would support our engines into the 2200 - 2400 hours range without serious concern.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, redcatcher27 said:

I've got just over 1500 tach hours on my 1968 M20F, with good compressions, but I'm  starting to think about the future.  I just read an article on mooneyland about "10 Ways to Increase Engine Life". 
I know I'm not restricted to 2000, so, just curious about how far I could go if all goes well. Thanks for all who chime in!

TBO is 10 years as I recall.  When was the last time the engine was disassembled? 

-Robert

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is the Lycoming SI covering TBO.  12 years or the hours by model, extended TBO does not apply to engines with FAA-PMA parts not approved by Lycoming.  I guess they don’t like competition in Williamsport.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SI1009AZ TBO Schedule.pdf

Here is the Continental TBO SB

http://www.continentalmotors.aero/uploadedFiles/Content/xImages/TBO Page SIL98-9C.pdf

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

Mine had about 15 years on the engine but only ~1200 hours before I had to tear it down and overhaul due to spalled lifters/cam. It now has about 70SMOH with the overhaul being completed March 1st.

Edited by AlexLev
  • Like 1

Red,

Keep in mind for most N.A. Mooneys...

TBO and beyond is a strong possibility... but requires good continuous maintenance... and good continuous use...

Often, swapping out cylinders or doing a top OH is a side project to the engine OH... independent of the OH...

The biggest killer of cylinders is high CHTs.... PIC is in charge of this, most often...

A few engines have been sent to the OH yard... due to Corrosion of the cam...and or cam followers/valve lifters... this occurs after an awefully long period of inactivity...

Change the oil...

fly often...

maintain chts, ROP or LOP...

Don’t hit anything with the prop...

Use a dental camera to take a look at the valves

Use an engine monitor to review how well you are running the engine...

How is that?

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

If it werent for the rampant lifter spalling these engines would go on forever. @bluehighwayflyer engine is old enough to have quality lifters in it, my boss's 1987 rebuilt Piper Arrow IO360 is another.  Another friend had a 1977 Aerostar 601P, 2000 TT airframe and engines.  soldiers on.   But for anything rebuilt after the mid 90s, well, I'd say its a rarity to make TBO because of lifter spalling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

But for anything rebuilt after the mid 90s, well, I'd say its a rarity to make TBO because of lifter spalling.

Oh, I so hope my engine proves the exception to the rule. It has 15 years and 1600 hours and seems to be doing well, all things considered. It had its crisis with ~450 on a zero-timed factory reman when it got an IRAN for high copper (main bearing). My goal was to make it to 2200 (10% bump), but now with Jim's experience, I have to raise the bar. I think as long as it is not telling me it is time to replace it through oil analysis and usage, borescoping, and compression tests, I will stick with it. And keep adding to the engine reserve.

• Like 1