Anyone in Iceland?

gitmo234

Ladies and Gents,

my wife and I are off to Iceland tonight for an 8 day post-deployment vacation. Any Mooney pilots here? I don’t have my docs but would gladly contribute to costs of going up for a tour or even ride left seat. Would rather pay a mooney owner than someone else...

• 2 weeks later...

It's 676 nmi great circle distance  from Goose Bay to Narsarsuaq.  With a modest tailwind you might use 40 gallons in an E.

Return trip home will require a wait for favorable winds.

There are few/no alternates within range of a Mooney with 52 gallons aboard.  

IMG_0777.PNG.e590fc6d407213c4d2746e0cd419e1d1.PNG

Since you can't get home until the winds shift, you might as well go on to Reykjavík.  That's only another 670 nmi. 

IMG_0778.PNG.4e365a1b60468870b2766a2c2f086f94.PNG

Lots more to amuse yourself in and around Reykjavík while you wait.   

As trip preparation you might read Ernie Gann's account of flying into Narsarsuaq (known as Bluie West One in WWII) in IMC.   

12 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

It's 676 nmi great circle distance  from Goose Bay to Narsarsuaq.  With a modest tailwind you might use 40 gallons in an E.

Return trip home will require a wait for favorable winds.

There are few/no alternates within range of a Mooney with 52 gallons aboard.  

IMG_0777.PNG.e590fc6d407213c4d2746e0cd419e1d1.PNG

Since you can't get home until the winds shift, you might as well go on to Reykjavík.  That's only another 670 nmi.

There's anither route with shorter over-water legs, but it requires crossing the Greenland ice cap ~13,000 msl. Or you can fly along the coast . . . .

"Go north to Kuujjuaq and Iqaluit on Baffin Island (yes, it's the new official Inuit names for the old Fort Chimo and Frobisher Bay, respectively). From Iqaluit, my way would be East and South-East, first to Sondrestrom and Kulusuk on the West and East coasts of Greenland and then to Reykjavik in Iceland, Faroe Islands." From there, you have a choice of several places in Europe.

This will get you to Greenland with your 52 gal tanks, with several hours' overwater flight and much less risk than going direct to Narsarsuaq. It's also two additional places to enjoy scenic Greenland, where life exists only along the coast, the interior being given over to packed ice (nobody knows what's under the ice, but it's probably pretty flat by now).

P.S.--Iceland is on my bucket list (but not in my Mooney!). I may be too much of a thin-blooded Southern boy to hack Greenland, though.

Edited by Hank

Before you get too enthused, check the time of useful consciousness in that water.  Flying the P-3 out over the north Atlantic, even 4 engines wasn't enough!   :o

ETOPS=Engines turn, or people swim.

ESOPS=putting all your eggs in one basket.