Texas 2017 spring fly in location  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Where to?

• Dallas Executive
    • Fredricksburg
    • Cameron
  2. 2. What day

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

I've not been to Redbird yet, and that is easy for me coming from Kansas so I picked it for this time. 5/20 seems like a good date too!

Being Saturday, if on a flight plan, perhaps they will bring you through Class B. Most often they will run you around west over Ft. Worth. It is usually easier to come in on the east side of Class B.

22 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Being Saturday, if on a flight plan, perhaps they will bring you through Class B. Most often they will run you around west over Ft. Worth. It is usually easier to come in on the east side of Class B.

I've never been to Redbird (or any Dallas area airport, for that matter), any tips on getting in without issues? I've read some here say flying under the bravo shouldn't be an issue. If that's the case, sounds like it'll be easy. I'll be VFR.

10 minutes ago, LevelWing said:

I've never been to Redbird (or any Dallas area airport, for that matter), any tips on getting in without issues? I've read some here say flying under the bravo shouldn't be an issue. If that's the case, sounds like it'll be easy. I'll be VFR.

KRBD is on the south side of Dallas under the Bravo shelf. If you just call up Approach or use Flight Following, they'll vector you right in and the Bravo is no factor. Coming from the southwest I'd aim for KJWY and then turn north. This will keep you to the east of the big towers on Cedar Hill. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

KRBD is on the south side of Dallas under the Bravo shelf. If you just call up Approach or use Flight Following, they'll vector you right in and the Bravo is no factor. Coming from the southwest I'd aim for KJWY and then turn north. This will keep you to the east of the big towers on Cedar Hill. 

Thanks. It sounds like this should be pretty easy to get into. Now to hope the plane is ready by then.

1 hour ago, LevelWing said:

Thanks. It sounds like this should be pretty easy to get into. Now to hope the plane is ready by then.

It's an easy one- I would get flight following while you're still in center airspace. They'll switch you over to approach, check in normally and inform approach that you have the current ATIS.  Approach will likely vector you.  If the airports are in a south flow, everything works very well.  In a north flow, approach brings aircraft in for landing DFW and DAL along the south side of the metromess and traffic doesn't seem to flow as well, but they'll just drop you down lower a little earlier so you don't conflict with other traffic.  Piece of cake.

12 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I used to fly from Bonham to Grand Prairie a lot while my Mom was in and out of the hospital.  If I was in the air early in the morning, they would bore me straight through the bravo every time, but if it was after about 8:30, they always took me around.  Coming from Wichita they will probably skirt you around keeping you under the veil of the bravo, but since RBD is on the Eastern corner, it probably will only cost you a few minutes.

12 hours ago, LevelWing said:

If you don't file, and are not on flight following, staying under the veil will work fine if you are comfortable not being on flight following.  I would reccomend staying AT LEAST 200 feet below the veil altitude and getting an altimeter setting from a local AWOS.  You don't want the FAA knocking on your door to meet with you regarding violation of the bravo.

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

YES!  For those not familiar with the area, be attentive regarding the cedar hill TV towers.  They are not a factor unless you come from the South, but be mindful.  Also be aware that there is a lot of helicopter traffic low level along I20.  It usually hangs around 1200'.  Many helicopters operate out of Grand Prairie which is the next airport to the West.

hope this helps.

I notified the restaurant that we would be coming.

I talked to Ambassador Aviation and they will be offering a $.25 per gallon discount, if anybody wants to fuel up. That will translate to just over $4 per.

I told my buddies at Avionics 1st, and they will be there if anyone has any avionic questions. I did not request they make a formal presentation.

Now all we have to do is cross our fingers for good weather.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

And an airplane out of the shop and ready to fly

Paul, If worse comes to worse, we would be glad to see you, if you drove up. Or con one of the guys who indicated they may come up, to give up a ride.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I notified the restaurant that we would be coming.

I talked to Ambassador Aviation and they will be offering a $.25 per gallon discount, if anybody wants to fuel up. That will translate to just over $4 per.

I told my buddies at Avionics 1st, and they will be there if anyone has any avionic questions. I did not request they make a formal presentation.

Now all we have to do is cross our fingers for good weather.

Thanks for setting this up. Like Paul, I'm now hoping that the plane is up and ready to go by then.