Hauling Golf Clubs

Was looking in the tail of my Mooney and was thinking I could put some clubs back there by the ELT.

Anyone try this, any suggestions on how to do it the best way?

I go on golf trips with four guys and it would be really nice to put at least the drivers in the tail.

Ya know, I've been wanting to put in a ski tube but I haven't found any STC's or anybody who has done that yet.  Let me know if you come up with anything.

To be honest, I would be worried about putting golf clubs in the tail.  You have a lot of control rods back there -- last thing you would want is to jam something up because of light turbulence.

Nishant

Ok not kidding, but not just going to throw them in there either. Thinking tubes that would go through the wall of the baggage area, and the secure them to the fuselage. So just the heads would be in the baggage area.

I think the W\B thing could be worked out fairly easy, and I can fit 4 regular guys and 40 gals and 2 sets of clubs, its just the drivers are so long, it would be nice to put the shafts in the tail somehow.

With the loading on the CG in smack dab in the middle, so I don't think a slight shift aft would make a big deal.

If I can fit 6'6" fishing rods in my short-body E (not using the tail section), there's got to be a way to fit golf clubs in an F.  Can you lay the irons across the luggage section and then position the divers so that the heads are in the hat rack and the grips are between the back passengers?  I'd still be concerned about clubs being loose and able to ram through the windscreen in turbulence.

But like Scott said, that's going to be pushing it on useful load.  May have to leave even/odd numbered irons at home, using a 3-wood and a driver only.  Heck - just use a putter, 7-iron, and 3-wood only.  Would make for an interesting round.  Or you could do the forbidden sharing of clubs...

Golf clubs in the tail...I don't know where to start. 

After reading this thread, some thoughts flash through my head... For instance:  "During the post crash investigation, the NTSB found..."  or the local old timers at the airport said "what the heck was he thinking??..."

This is a bad idea for more reasons than I care to list.  Most country clubs or public courses have rentals and they don't cost that much ta-boot - test out the latest demo Nike driver or set of Ping irons at your destination.  Leave the clubs at home if they won't fit in the cabin.

I like to play with my own clubs, renting some when I go to play a new cool course isn't at all appealing with me. I can the drivers on the hat rack but then the grips are on the back seat.

George, what would be so dangerous about this mod?? Like I said not just going to throw them in there, looking to secure them so they can't move in flight.

Beside what does a shaft weigh, like 6OZ.

Yea renting a set there is an option but I have this really cool airplane and it can do it all, just would be nice to have a little more comfort. Besides I only like to play with my own clubs.

Maybe my bag will show you why, Callaway Irons, V-Steel Fairway woods, Cobra Driver, Cleavland putter, lots of wedges. They are not the newest and the greatest but for me the setup works perfectly.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I just did this recently in my M20C. It has the split-removable rear seats. A full golf bag fits perfectly with a seat removed.

If you don't have removable rear seats, I guess it depends on how often you intend to do it. I'm pretty sure you'll need a field approval and 337 for a ski tube-type modification or installing removable rear seats. After all is said and done, I can't imagine it'll cost less than 1 AMU, and it could be a good deal more.

I completely understand about the rental clubs thing. We wanted to go to Shelter Cove, but it was fogged in, so we ended up at Oroville. Shelter Cove doesn't have club rentals (unattended golf course, I believe) and the clubs my father rented at Oroville were pretty well used.

• 4 weeks later...

Quote: mjc

I just did this recently in my M20C. It has the split-removable rear seats. A full golf bag fits perfectly with a seat removed.

If you don't have removable rear seats, I guess it depends on how often you intend to do it. I'm pretty sure you'll need a field approval and 337 for a ski tube-type modification or installing removable rear seats. After all is said and done, I can't imagine it'll cost less than 1 AMU, and it could be a good deal more.

I completely understand about the rental clubs thing. We wanted to go to Shelter Cove, but it was fogged in, so we ended up at Oroville. Shelter Cove doesn't have club rentals (unattended golf course, I believe) and the clubs my father rented at Oroville were pretty well used.