Mooney Ambassadors, Energize. Engage. Encourage!

MooneyMitch

As Mooney Ambassadors, here's an additional contribution we can make to help promote General Aviation.  In a recent General Aviation News e-article, contributor Dave Hook reminds us of our newly formed Congressional GA Caucus in Washington.  Formed in 2009, the first two years of the Caucus was very successful.   Due to a turnover in the Caucus membership with newly elected representatives, the membership is down some 28%. 

Dave suggests that if we have newly elected representatives from our district, to please contact them and urge them to join the GA Caucus.   He also suggest that we help educate them as to the value of General Aviation and General Aviation airports to our local communities. 

And of course, here comes the normal Mooney Ambassador opportunity thing again.  In addition to contacting our local and Washington representatives, you can also help promote GA by finding an airport event, airport day, airshow,, etc., which may be forthcoming in your nearby community.   Contact the the folks putting on the event and let them know as Mooney Ambassadors, how we promote the positive aspects of GA.  Ask if you could bring your Mooney, along with some of your other Mooney aircraft owner friends, and put the planes on the line for display to help promote GA to the public attendees at that event.

As Mooney Ambassadors, we support Mooney Aviation Company and promote General Aviation/General Aviation Airports.  In addition, participating in an event, gives us another wonderful place to fly our Mooneys! 

We are off to a great start this year with new Mooney Ambassador participants stepping up across the US and Canada.  Thank you all for helping to promote General Aviation!

Mitch Latting, Mooney Ambassadors, Share the Passion

Great post Mitch and appreciate it!  I'm hoping the Martinsburg, WV and Indianapolis, IN events turn into opportunities for us.  No "No"'s for it so far and they're both great locations well attended.  We all I believe love to show our aircraft.  We've been blessed with these wonderful birds (love the post of one of our members that has a sig line that says "I am the caretaker of ..." and hope to see our activity only increase.  And also hope to see all of you at OSH this year!

This article is on AOPA ebrief today, if you haven't seen it already. 

Growing the GA Caucus is a terrific opportunity for us as Mooney folks to support and promote and protect General Aviation and General Aviation airport, along with helping to protect our freedoms to fly!

If you have a new congress person, please take the opportunity to contact them requesting they join the caucus.

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2011/110125new_ga_caucus_recruiting_members.html?WT.mc_id=ebrief

Happy Mooney flying!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an opportunity from David Medlin who is a Mooney Ambassador.  Any body want to help out in August?

Waterloo, Iowa, is getting the Thunderbirds on August 27 and 28th for the "Thunder in the Valley" airshow (a misnomer as Waterloo is not in a valley, but I digress...). Our CAP wing training officer is involved with the planning. I'm willing to bring my M20 for a ramp showing, but I have to work CAP duties both days, so I can't actively promote Mooney Ambassadors. Do you have any other Iowans (more north and central part of the state) who might want to participate?

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/article_04f346d3-6df2-5512-9235-f0683f1612da.html

Email me off the list if you like
Thanks for your support

• 2 weeks later...

COPA Junior Aviatiors Rally

May 14, 2011

Cornwall Regional Airport

An introduction to flying including a ride in an airplane for youth ages 7-17.  Why not attend, display, support Mooney and Promote G.A. to a junior aviator.  Point Person: RB Franklin.  Event sponsored by the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association and the Cornwall Flying Club.

post-46-13468139357726_thumb.jpg

We received a letter from EAA asking if we wanted to do a presentation at Airventure 2011, so we submitted our latest and greatest... PGA Squared

If you are going to AirVenture 2011, look for our presentation in the schedule. We asked for Tuesday/Wed/Thursday.

post-46-13468139366931_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The Houston Airport System will host the Aeros & Autos at Ellington Airport. This annual family-friendly community event will feature static military aircraft displays, an aircraft fly-in, a silent auction, give a ways, food, live entertainment, and a car show. Proceeds from this show will benefit the Texas Lions Camp; an organization focused on assisting physically disabled, hearing/vision impaired and diabetic children from the State of Texas, and The United Service Organization or better known as the USO; whose mission is to support the troops by providing morale, welfare and recreation-type services to our men and women in uniform.

Point Person: Eric Lipper

post-46-13468139403905_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I received a nice comment today about what we are doing for General Aviation with the Ambassador events.  I thought I would share this trailer for PGA Squared which is our new multi-media presentation.  How many Mooneys can you count in a minute and fifteen seconds?  I like to watch in 720HD and let it buffer in.

Have fun, keep talking to your friends and neighbors about General Aviation and Mooney Airplane Company!

All are welcome to any Ambassador events.  To sign up just contact the point person, or go to the website http://www.MooneyAmbassadors.com.  Eric Lipper is the point for Houston Aeros and Autos: elipper@sbcglobal.net

This event supports our Veterans through helping the USO and Lion's Club camps.

• 3 weeks later...

Upcoming Ambassador Events

Vidalia Onion Festival Airshow, KVDI, April 30-May 1st, 2011, Vidalia Georgia. Each spring, Vidalia anticipates the harvest of Georgia's Official State Vegetable, the internationally known Vidalia Sweet Onion.  The occasion is celebrated with an array of fun-filled activities. The excitement builds with the Vidalia Onion Festival Airshow with its aerobatics and precision flying. Come and join the fun with the Ambassadors!  Point Person: Jeff Schlueter: jeff@schlueter.net For more general information about the event:
http://www.vidaliaonionfestival.com

Aeros and Autos-Ellington Field/Houston KEFD
May 7th, 2011. Benefit for USO and Lion's Camps
Aeros & Autos and is at Ellington Field — here is a link.  http://www.fly2houston.com/aerosandautos.  This is a big event and generally attracts 150 to 200 cars.

The aircraft display, since this is where all of the NASA planes are based, is also impressive.  You have a chance to see a huge array of the planes that your tax dollars have supplied.  In addition, the Coast Guard also has a presence there so they had several helicopters that you could explore your way through if you need something beyond a fixed wing.

Last year we had at B-17, a B-25 and a T-6 Texan that were giving rides through the Galveston Museum of Flight.  I flew in the B-17 and my ears are still ringing.  And since Ellington is home to two flight schools there will likely be a Grumman Tiger, a group of Cheetah's and a few Cirri.  I also remember that there was a, E Model Mooney that was used by US Customs and was painted in a camouflage scheme.

If you are interested in coming in please let me know as the Airport would like to estimate our interest as soon as reasonably possible.  The Airport would like you there by 8:00 a.m. at the latest (plan 7:30) and you will generally need to stay there till 4:00 p.m.  If the ramp is crowded with people it will be difficult to depart early.  There will be several vendors there serving food and drinks so you don't have to worry about hunger or thirst.

Point Person  Eric Lipper : elipper@sbcglobal.net

Ambassador Wear
If you would like to get a t-shirt or sweatshirt, please let us know at MooneyAmbassadors@charter.net.  T-shirts: $15  Sweatshirts: $35 includes shipping.  All the hipsters are wearing Ambassador wear!

Point Person: Russ Anderson

Come one come all! Fun events for those "up North"

St. Paul: Date: May 29th from 8am to Noon
Fly-in and pancake breakfast.
RC model demos
Last year we had only a few classic cars show up due to the weather so we are hoping for a good turn out this year.
Airport identifier: CEW3 St. Paul Alberta

Cooking lake Summer Solstace party
Date: June 18th

RAIN DATE: July 2nd
Place: Cooking Lake, Edmonton Alberta
This is my annual event.
Starts Saturday at 2Pm and runs to Sunday at noon
We have a full BBQ supper, and breakfast on Sunday for those that stay overnight. (There is no charge for supper or breakfast on Sunday)
This is a theme party and this years theme is the Mayan ( Aztec) solstace.
There will be prizes for best Mayan/ Inca costumes.
There are fireworks Saturday night and my private observatory will be set up for the guests. Last year we saw the rings of Saturn, the space station, Jupiter etc.
Camping is available on my property. We have over 5 acres of camping space so bring the tent and stay over.
I also invite my car club members to this event and last year I had about 30 classic cars show up.
We also have RC helicopters etc doing demos.
I also do plane rides for the car owners. ( don’t worry nobody will get talked into doing plane rides. I use my own for that)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to AvWeb for the wonderful podcast on promoting general aviation. It was a pleasure working with Glenn Pew again.  http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_JolieLucas_GrassRootsGAActivism_204700-1.html?kw=self

We really make an impact when we display as a group and talk to the public about G.A. and our Mooney Airplane Company.  I always seem to have trouble posting photos here.  But there are updated photos on the Ambassador website.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

We had a wonderful time at KPVT-Porterville, CA.  We brought in 16 Mooneys and won the "More the Merrier" award.  As well, a Mite owner won the flour bombing, another Ambassador won the "farthest distance" and the Bravo won the speed contest.  With the weather in the high 80s and a fun crowd, we really got the word out about Mooney and helped to inspire the love of flight.

Video to follow

Here's what's next: Father's Day Fly-In, Columbia CA O22, June 17-19, 2011: The Mooney Ambassadors attended the 2010 annual Father's Day Fly-In in beautiful Columbia California. Nestled in the foothills of the Sierras, Columbia offers two runways, one asphalt and one grass, as well as a lovely campground. 13 Ambassadors came through over the two day event and helped spread the word about Mooney Airplane Company, and promoted General Aviation. Come Join Us June 17-19, 2011

Father's Day Fly-In, Summer Solstace /Cooking Lake Airport (Canada), June 17-19, 2011.  This is Ambassador Russ Anderson's annual party. If you are in Canada or headed up to the great white north, check out this great airport and fun party. Anybody planning on attending the Cooking Lake party on June 18th can RSVP to Russ at russkar@lara.on.ca  He will provide shuttle from airport to my acreage ( about a 3 minute ride) for the main party. Pickup can be arranged by email in advance if have the ETA or by calling 780-922-6017 upon arrival.

June 18-19, 2011 Quad-City Airshow, [KDVN] Davenport, IA.  Blue Angels, Fat Albert and more! See WWII aircraft and displays, plus our Mooney Ambassadors.“ Special 25th Air Show Silver Spectacular Flyover starting at 1100 – you do not want to miss this opening” We have over 200 ground exhibits, including the DR. PEPPER KIDSPACE. Point Person: Rebecca Meeke. Event website: http://www.quadcityairshow.com/2011/

June 24-26 Airfest, Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Highlights include big band extravaganza, Young Eagles flights, Pancake Breakfast, Mustang car rally, Numerous warbirds static displays, Military aircraft F-18 (limitations due to the longest runway being closed) About 100 private aircraft.
Point Person Eldon Gjesdal

June 24-26, 2011 Wings to Walla Walla KALW
There are walking tours of downtown, art galleries, museums, historic Whitman Mission, farms, antiques, golf, birding, biking, and lots of other things to do in Walla Walla. BRING TIE-DOWNS. The FBO may not have enough for the number of planes that we expect. We'll have a greeter at the airport to get you oriented. The Marcus Whitman has a great buffet breakfast included with the hotel stay.  Point Person: Fred Juhos. To register go to their website: http://wingstowallawalla.com/

Villenueve Fly-In (Canada). Both events are going on July 1, 2011. More information to follow.

July 9, 2011 EAA 43rd Annual Cracker Fly-In, Lee Gilmer Memorial [KGVL], Gainesville, GA.  A celebration of general aviation at one of the most active rural airports in Georgia. Last year more than 2500 people showed up to see more than 150 types of aircraft on static display. Come and display with the Ambassadors adn promote GA at this wonderful GA airport! Point Person: Jeff Schlueter

Whitecourt Annual Airshow (Canada).  This event is in August 2011. More details to follow.

Hot August Flights, Saturday August 6, 2001 in Salem Oregon (SLE) A Fly-in & car show. Come on Northwest flyers, come and enjoy Salem!
Fly-In/Cruise-In Breakfast 7:30am-10am
(portion of proceeds to benefit Civil Air Patrol)
Outdoor BBQ, indoor full lunch menu
Airplane Show & Displays
Classic Car Show & Displays
Airplane Rides by Graham Aviation Services
Helicopter Rides
Raffle for Lightspeed Zulu Headset
(portion of proceeds to benefit Civil Air Patrol)
Free Admission & Parking
Point person: Vincent Dunn

Lake in the Sky Airshow, South Lake Tahoe KTVL: August 26-27, 2011 Join us at Lake Tahoe in 2011 for the 22nd year celebration of America's High Altitude Air Show. The Mooney Ambassadors are the only type club that has specifically been invited by the event administration for the past several years. We had 22 airplanes in 2009, 14 in 2010, how many are coming in 2011?  Friday night dinner is a salute to Veterans who have served or are serving our country. Saturday is the big day, and we expect upwards of 11,000 visitors.

Events We Encourage:
In speaking with Trey, MAPA is continuing the "Mooney of the Month" in 2011 and will seek contributions from the membership.  Photos should be color, JPG, high res. and portrait is preferred for a cover shot (see the Jan ’11 LOG for more about photos) and the article should include as much info. about the airplane, years of ownership, interesting flights etc.  It sounds fun so put your story/photo together and submit to: mapa@sbcglobal.net.

2011 MAPA Safety Foundation PPP $795.00, schedule your class today.
(Be proficient in your airplane) July 8-10 Pilot Proficiency Program, Denver, CO September 9-11 Pilot Proficiency Program, Atlantic City, NJ Oct. 7-9 Pilot Proficiency Program, Ownesboro, KYTele: 210-525-8008 or email: mapa@sbcglobal.net

MAPA Convention2011 MAPA CONVENTION UPDATE FROM TREY:
Well folks it’s finally scheduled. This year we have decided to depart from our usual “once every three years” schedule of visiting Kerrville and return to the hometown of Mooney a year early. We do this so that if there is something new to report (no nothing important yet!) we will be nearby.
October 20 – 23, 2011 we will occupy the YO Ranch Resort and Conference Center for the 37th consecutive meeting of the Mooney Aircraft Pilots Association. We are putting together another great list of speakers and are beginning to contact exhibitors so mark October on your calendars now so that you can take part in the oldest and largest gathering of the Mooney family in the world. We will follow the successful format used last year in Colorado Springs – Welcome Reception with Exhibitors on Thursday evening, breakfast with the Exhibitors Friday morning and then begin seminars that afternoon. Once again we will plan only one seminar at a time so that no one has to pick and choose. Friday night after dinner we will all meet for dessert at the traditional Ice Cream Social. Saturday we will have seminars throughout the morning into early afternoon and the banquet    will complete activities Saturday night.
Watch future issues of the LOG and our website for more information. But mark your calendars now – October 20 through 23 at the YO in Kerrville. We will see you there!  Tele: 210-525-8008 or email: mapa@sbcglobal.net

Check out the promotional video for MAPA Homecoming 2011:

• 4 weeks later...

July 9th, 2011 Menomonie Air Expo, WI, KLUM
Come one, come all to the Menomonie Air Expo and Fly-In.  Point person Bruce Trimble has five Mooneys, and is hoping to have another five or more!
All the fun stuff:  Pancake breakfast, static displays, including the Mooney Ambassadors, parachute jumpers, flight simulators.
Come and join the fun. $.35 fuel discount.

July 9, 2011 EAA 43rd Annual Cracker Fly-In, Lee Gilmer Memorial [KGVL], Gainesville, GA.  A celebration of general aviation at one of the most active rural airports in Georgia. Last year more than 2500 people showed up to see more than 150 types of aircraft on static display. Come and display with the Ambassadors adn promote GA at this wonderful GA airport! Point Person: Jeff Schlueter

Wings Over Whitecourt Annual Airshow (Canada).  Wings over Whitecourt is Thursday Aug. 4th.  Appearances confirmed by the Canadian Military Snowbirds, P51 Mustangs, Classic cars etc.  Point Person: Russ Anderson.

Hot August Flights, Saturday August 6, 2001 in Salem Oregon (SLE) A Fly-in & car show. Come on Northwest flyers, come and enjoy Salem!
Fly-In/Cruise-In Breakfast 7:30am-10am
Outdoor BBQ, indoor full lunch menu
Airplane Show & Displays Classic Car Show & Displays
Airplane Rides by Graham Aviation Services Helicopter Rides
Raffle for Lightspeed Zulu Headset
Free Admission & Parking   Point person: Vincent Dunn

Lake in the Sky Airshow, South Lake Tahoe KTVL: August 26-27, 2011 Join us at Lake Tahoe in 2011 for the 22nd year celebration of America's High Altitude Air Show. The Mooney Ambassadors are the only type club that has specifically been invited by the event administration for the past several years. We had 22 airplanes in 2009, 14 in 2010, how many are coming in 2011?  Friday night dinner is a salute to Veterans who have served or are serving our country. Saturday is the big day, and we expect upwards of 11,000 visitors. Hotel and rental car discounts. Point Person: Jolie Lucas

• 1 month later...

Hello All

If you are interested in joining us at South Lake Tahoe next weekend for Lake in the Sky Air Show, please let me know.  Right now we have 27 Mooneys on the roster and six of those are participating in the air show.  We do have more ramp space for anyone who would like to come and do the Ambassador thing, and one spot in the air show [high speed passes]. 

Drop me a PM or email to: MooneyAmbassadors@charter.net

The weather is looking good for next weekend!

• 3 months later...

What events do you want to host?  Drop us an email and we can help. Let's build the 2012 calendar up!

Fly-in APPAC 30" in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca., Mexico from November 24 to 27 The private aviation enthusiasts, extend a cordial invitation to "Fly-in APPAC 30" in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca., from 24 to 27 November this year.  Reservations:Hotel Posada Real, booking on behalf of the Association of Private Pilots A. C., for the nights of 24, 25 and November 26, with Mr. Rolando Barragan and Miss. Max Portillo Phone 01 800 7195 236 or Toll Free 01 954 5820 133 arrival:On Thursday November 24 arrival at the airport in Puerto Escondido and registration at the Hotel Posada Real.dinner:On Saturday November 26 there will be a dinner at the Hotel Posada Real in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca. and tickets will be purchased directly at the hotel reception.Check out:On Sunday November 27 starting from the airport of Puerto Escondido. Point Person: Jorge Cornish jjcornish@prodigy.net.mx

Mooney Ambassador Toys for Tots, L52 Oceano California
December 3rd, 2011 10:00-2:00
Airplanes on Display...Model A Car Club....Antique Motorcycle Display
Make a child smile at Christmas. Join us for our annual Toys for Tots event in cooperation with the US Marine Corps. Bring a new, unwrapped toy and enjoy the fun. Cash donations accepted.
10:00 Arrivals and holiday beverages
11:00 Live holiday music
12:00 Central Coast Smokers BBQ $15 includes all the fixins
2:00 Event ends
There is no admission charge. Fuel discount provided by Oceano Fuel [$.25 per gallon, plus $.25 per gallon donation to Toys for Tots.] Banner Airways: Take a ride back in history in the 1943 Super Stearman Yellow Bi-plane. SkyDive Pismo Beach is on hand.  Point Person: Jolie Lucas

May 11-12, 2012 L52 Oceano Airport Celebration Day/Beach Burger Fry and Dance
Friday May 11th: Beach Burger Fry and Dance
Come and join us at Oceano Airport for a Burger Fry and dance to the San Luis Jazz Band. Stay the night at by camping at the airport, or enjoying one of our local hotels. $5 for dinner and dance. 5:30-9:30 p.m.

Saturday May 12th: Oceano Airport Celebration Day 2012. A Salute to Veterans. 9:00: Lions Club pancake breakfast, static displays, emergency responder displays.  12:00 opening ceremonies and veterans recognition 12:30 Lunch served by the EAA Weanie Wagon and Five Cities Elks Club. Live big band music: Central City Swing Band. 2:00: raffle. Free admission. Free Children's activities. Family fun. Point Person: Mitch Latting

August 24-26th, 2012  KTVL South Lake Tahoe, Lake in the Sky Airshow
Join us at Lake Tahoe in 2012 for the 23rd year celebration of America's High Altitude Air Show. The Mooney Ambassadors are the only type club that has specifically been invited by the event administration for the past several years. We had 22 airplanes in 2009, 14 in 2010, 24 in 2011 how many are coming in 2012?  Friday night dinner is a salute to Veterans who have served or are serving our country. Saturday is the big day, and we expect upwards of 11,000 visitors.  There is an opportunity for six Mooney Ambassadors to take place in the air show by doing high-speed passes.  We typically get a nice hotel rate and car rental rate for this event.  Point Persons: Michael Golden and Jolie Lucas

Check out the promotional video for the Mooney Ambassadors.  Give this to event administrators so they know what we do!

Mooney Ambassador Wear: New design for 2012, New Logo, Inspire the Love of $35 Sweatshirt.  Sizes: small through XXL. Flight.  Want one or two?  Email us and we can ship.  Prices delivered: $20 T-shirt, $35 for a sweatshirt.  Send PM or email to let us know what you would like.

Thank you all for the support.

Jolie and Mitch

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, the Ambassador, the newsletter for the MA's is available by PDF. If you did not receive it and would like to, please drop us an email: MooneyAmbassadors@charter.net

Merry Christmas to all, and many happy Mooney flying hours in the New Year.

Mitch and Jolie