Army helo pilot interested in getting into Mooney

LongbowDriver

First Post!  Hello all.  I am an Apache Helo pilot for the Army.  I love flying.  Last few years I have been fighting off an urge to start flying general aviation. I have decided to give up and give in because I see the urge is not going to go away anytime soon and is now becoming part of who I am.  I want a plane that has the best bang for the buck when it comes to cost of ownership and performance.  So, I've pretty much set my eyes exclusively on Mooney.  I love the way they look and the numbers look pretty good too.  I hold a commercial rotary wing with instrument license, and since I am an Army instructor pilot, I also am interested in completing a commercial fixed wing license and possibly get into the CFI and/or CFII world.  I'd love to be able to teach my family and friends but that's about the extent....I'm not interested in teaching for hire anytime soon. Anyhow. 

I have read threads on this forum that talk about using a Mooney as a trainer and there are differing opinions.  I feel I am in a much different situation than most beginner pilots having 2700hrs in the Apache (which is a beast of complexity).  That being said, I know airplanes are way different and my control touch will not immediately transfer over to a Mooney.  I think I'll beat on a Cessna with an instructor for about 2-5hrs before instruction in my "new to me" Mooney. 

Anyways, I'm new here.  Feel free to tell me my plan is not a good one.  I am open to suggestions. 

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Longbow and thank you for your service.

You don't mention what part of the country you are from?  Many Mooney space folks would be more than happy to give you a ride and complete your transformation to the dark side or is it helicopters are the dark side.  I forget since I fly both but only own a Mooney.

Just remember in the Mooney you don't stop forward motion at the bottom of the flair you keep moving.:)

Give us some details on what your intended mission will be in the Mooney.

1. number of people 80% of the time?

2. how far you want to go?

3. general budget constraints?

Do some looking around on MS there are many threads on airplane capabilities and mission it really boils down to how much you want to spend. 

Well I am originally from Abilene, TX but currently stationed in South Korea for two years.  This gives me two years of planning and preparation for when I am ready to pull the trigger.  Problem is I see what appears to be a couple of REALLY great deals on planes right now, but it would be so foolish to pull any triggers at this point.  Anyhow.  As far as where I'll be when I get back from SK, I have no idea where I'll end up next.  All I know is it has to be in the lower 48 states.  I'm hoping for Fort Rucker, Fort Hood, or Savannah, GA.  We'll see. 

As for your questions....

#1. Who I will fly with most:  just me 50%(to and from visiting kids), 30% with my two young kiddos, and 20% with a friend or two. 

#2. Primary mission: Being able to quickly get around from where ever I am stationed to my kids and visit often and build some time. 

#3. How far: Kids are in Kansas so that's fairly central to all potential Apache bases in the lower 48 with the exception of JBLM, Washington

#4. Budget: I am looking at somewhere in the $30-45k range so M20C-F.  I've read about the differences.....I think any of those should fit my mission and budget but the "F" model would be nice for the legroom. I'm just terrified of buying a plane that appears to be in good shape but beneath surface, will costs tens of thousands in repairs.  I'll be hiring a solid Mooney Mechanic for a prebuy inspection.

• Like 1

First Post!  Hello all.  I am an Apache Helo pilot for the Army.  I love flying.  Last few years I have been fighting off an urge to start flying general aviation. I have decided to give up and give in because I see the urge is not going to go away anytime soon and is now becoming part of who I am.  I want a plane that has the best bang for the buck when it comes to cost of ownership and performance.  So, I've pretty much set my eyes exclusively on Mooney.  I love the way they look and the numbers look pretty good too.  I hold a commercial rotary wing with instrument license, and since I am an Army instructor pilot, I also am interested in completing a commercial fixed wing license and possibly get into the CFI and/or CFII world.  I'd love to be able to teach my family and friends but that's about the extent....I'm not interested in teaching for hire anytime soon. Anyhow. 
I have read threads on this forum that talk about using a Mooney as a trainer and there are differing opinions.  I feel I am in a much different situation than most beginner pilots having 2700hrs in the Apache (which is a beast of complexity).  That being said, I know airplanes are way different and my control touch will not immediately transfer over to a Mooney.  I think I'll beat on a Cessna with an instructor for about 2-5hrs before instruction in my "new to me" Mooney. 
Anyways, I'm new here.  Feel free to tell me my plan is not a good one.  I am open to suggestions. 

Welcome aboard! Like the post above, tell us a little more about what you expect the "typical" mission will be in your Mooney, that is, what range do you need, how many people most of the time, if you are out west do you need high altitude performance, budget. There will be a Mooney that will meet your mission and transition for you should be no issue. A little more info will help us with recommendations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard! Would be great to have you back at Fort Rucker. Mainly because there are several Mooney pilots close by who would want to be first in line to take you up in our plane. But as John said above, all of us would be glad to get you into a Mooney.

The F model has a bit more leg room in the back (F, J and K are considered mid-body Mooneys) but most all of the models you mention would be fine for a tall pilot. Actually, there are some folks who have put pedal extensions to move the rudder pedals closer to the seat. Several of us (myself included) are in the 6'4" or greater range with Yetti being a 6'9" F owner. No problem fitting behind the yoke.

2 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Welcome aboard! Would be great to have you back at Fort Rucker. Mainly because there are several Mooney pilots close by who would want to be first in line to take you up in our plane. But as John said above, all of us would be glad to get you into a Mooney.

The F model has a bit more leg room in the back (F, J and K are considered mid-body Mooneys) but most all of the models you mention would be fine for a tall pilot. Actually, there are some folks who have put pedal extensions to move the rudder pedals closer to the seat. Several of us (myself included) are in the 6'4" or greater range with Yetti being a 6'9" F owner. No problem fitting behind the yoke.

Awesome.  Yea.  Fort Rucker is my 1st pick, but unlikely to get that.  We'll see.  I do know for sure that I will end up there for 6 weeks at some point for a professional military educational course.....but that may be a couple years down the road.  I'm 5'8" so I'm not worried about myself, mainly the rear passenger legroom......but like I said, they will mainly be two small kiddos so even that is not of concern.  I do have a stepson that is pretty tall, but I figure when he rides, he'll be up front with me anyways.  My ultimate goal is to build an RV10.  Have dreamed about that for years.  But that's a long and expensive project that I won't be ready for until retirement years most likely.  We'll see. I will certainly post up when the time comes to visit Mother Rucker.  Thanks for the hospitality.

• Like 1

Just now, LongbowDriver said:

Awesome.  Yea.  Fort Rucker is my 1st pick, but unlikely to get that.  We'll see.  I do know for sure that I will end up there for 6 weeks at some point for a professional military educational course.....but that may be a couple years down the road.  I'm 5'8" so I'm not worried about myself, mainly the rear passenger legroom......but like I said, they will mainly be two small kiddos so even that is not of concern.  I do have a stepson that is pretty tall, but I figure when he rides, he'll be up front with me anyways.  My ultimate goal is to build an RV10.  Have dreamed about that for years.  But that's a long and expensive project that I won't be ready for until retirement years most likely.  We'll see. I will certainly post up when the time comes to visit Mother Rucker.  Thanks for the hospitality.

No worries. My wife, son and daughter and I have taken the Mooney on short trips and the kids sit in back. Son - 6'8" and daughter 5'9". Only challenge is getting in and out for us tall guys. It is a learned skill....

Happy hunting! IT's been said many times and many places, and M20-C is the best bang for the buck in general aviation. You have sixteen model years to choose from, with manual or electric gear, and they are both short field and grass strip friendly. I used to visit a 2000' grass strip in mine.

For sure, let us know when you come to Rucker. Several of us are 30 Mooney minutes or less from Troy.

LD, I'm a 64 pilot stationed at Hood. My first Mooney was a C model and I agree with other posts here that the C is your best value per mile traveled in the certified space. I recommend you go with a C or E at first as you get used to the differences between airplanes and apaches both in flight and ownership. In a C you are cruising faster than most Delta longbows can go at max torque. 

• Like 1

Hello Longbow, thank you for your service to our nation and welcome to MS. I love reading the threads by folks both new to and experienced in aviation I think you have found a fantastic resource for the subject in question. At 5ft 8 you would be fine in a short body C. I am based in CA and have had no problems using ours to go places that require passage over the Sierra and cascade mountains. You indicate a budget with a limit of 45k and that should get you into a pretty solid C but as I'm sure you have read here it's important to have a pretty big reserve for things that will come up. Keep on with the research and stay safe out there.

13 hours ago, Openwheeler3 said:

LD, I'm a 64 pilot stationed at Hood. My first Mooney was a C model and I agree with other posts here that the C is your best value per mile traveled in the certified space. I recommend you go with a C or E at first as you get used to the differences between airplanes and apaches both in flight and ownership. In a C you are cruising faster than most Delta longbows can go at max torque. 

I could end up at Hood next.  Was there 6yrs ago.  Definitely looking at C, E, & F models for sure.  Nice to know I'm not alone in this idea. Just out of curiosity, where do you keep your plane?  Skylark?  Temple?  Do you keep it in a hangar?  What are your costs? 

Edited by LongbowDriver
  • Like 1

Ultimately your time in the LB will help you for 95% of your flying.  It's just a simple max gross weigt running takeoff followed by some maneuvering - but the landing will be different.  I remember when I Flew my Grumman for the first time after doing all my Helo work. I specifically didn't fly the Grumman during that training to ensure I truly did learn Helos.

coming into land hat first time "what is that darn noise?!" Oh just the stall horn! Subconsciously was setting up for a nice no hover landing. Took a couple more landings and I can seemlesly go back and forth between the two. 

If you can get some training/practice in anything other than a Cessna I would recommend it. Grumman or Piper.  Those Cessnas just glide forever and will make things a bit challenging to transition from Helo to Mooney. 

Welcome aboard! 

40 minutes ago, Hank said:

"Those Cessnas just glide forever"??? That's not what I thought when I moved from a 172 to ny Mooney! I thought the Cessna fell out of the sky in comparison. But then, I don't have helo time . .  

Compared to helios bricks have a nice glide path :D

Thanks all for the offers to take rides.  Seems this community is a busy and helpful community to be in.  So this community is definitely part of the "Mooney Experience".  Seems no matter where I am stationed next, there will be a Mooney owner willing to help out.  Greatly appreciated. 

Though I am in South Korea now and will be for the next couple years, it is really hard not to pull the trigger and buy a plane now.  There are so many nice planes forsale in my price range.  I saw an F model with 100gal fuel tanks....wow 1400sm range.  That's pretty impressive.

A quick question which may be better posted in its own thread, whats the fuel burn differences between the C E & F models?  All about the same? 

E&F have the 200hp IO-360, the C&G have the 180hp O-360. The 200hp burn a tad bit more fuel at takeoff. In cruise, you won't tell much of a difference.

For me, the line that differentiated the difference between the O-360 and the IO-360 is the fuel injected models have an angle-valve head which if it ever comes time for a top overhaul, is MUCH more expensive. Regular parallel valve heads are ~$800. Angle valve heads are around ~$2k

On 12/20/2016 at 0:34 AM, LongbowDriver said:

I could end up at Hood next.  Was there 6yrs ago.  Definitely looking at C, E, & F models for sure.  Nice to know I'm not alone in this idea. Just out of curiosity, where do you keep your plane?  Skylark?  Temple?  Do you keep it in a hangar?  What are your costs? 

I keep my plane at Skylark.  I just got into an overhang which is $80 per month.  Before that, I was renting space in a community hangar owned by one of the flight schools on the field.  $250 per month with some restrictions on when they were open.  Not perfect but it was better than leaving the thing outside.