Generator blown enroute to Oshkosh :(

I had a similar issue with my 66 E some time back.  Turns out the voltage adjust screw on the mechanical regulator had vibrated loose and was regulating at 11.8 volts.  Too low to start the engine but ran the digital radio just fine.  Picked up a Zeftronics generator regulator at Oshkosh and it's rock solid.  The old mechanical regulator varied the voltage with vibration from the engine.  I rebuilt the generator at the last overhaul and it's been trouble free.

• Like 1

The brushes are tremendously long...  They probably fail for other reasons than usual wear...  The surface they ride on gets roughed up first...

My 65C swapped out brushes, generator, then got a Zeftronics controller before it would work....

the sticks and stones spring controller was wonderful in ’65...

one advantage of the zef is the output for error messages (led) that can be panel mounted...

getting a replacement generator from aircraft spruce is pretty easy.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I also replaced generator and Zeftonics controller and ZERO problems (700 hours later) post install.  I have a volt/amp digital EI readout and it is always stable at 13.9-14.1 indicated.  I do get charging on ground with relatively low RPM.  EI has a discharge diode so "I know" what status is.  So far so good.

So is the guy still at Oshkosh waiting for a qualified mechanic?  which is a seriously weird quandary to contemplate in the first place.   I would have found some FAA person to watch me change things out and then sign it off.  3 bolts 2 cotter pins and some safety wire.

One A/P said don't worry about the safety wire.  The IA said he wants Safety wire

Edited by Yetti

Ooops I could have sworn I posted an update on Monday or Tuesday noting that I was all fixed up and on my way, but it was a hectic return flight so I might have missed hitting submit.

The repair was finished Monday mid morning.  A swapped out generator and I was on my way.  Interesting trip back with a squall line over North Dakota and high winds over the Rockies making us out down for the night a couple times.

Though the "lone plane in a field with trash swirling about" is a great description of what Oshkosh looks like on Monday ;)

It would have saved me a a day or so and a couple hundred dollars had I pushed back on the nonsense voltage regulator test he had me do (basically expecting the field terminal to have voltage, which it would have with an alternator).

I have had one of the original Zeftronics regulators for over 10 years for my generator.  I have had no problems. There is apparently a newer model Zeftronics on the market now with some added features. It has some diagnostic lights and voltage protections plus some other stuff. Any advice on if it would be worthwhile to upgrade?

My old C got a Zeftronics controller about the same time frame.  Check to see if yours has the outputs for the panel mounted LEDs.

the controller itself has the LEDs on it's case.  I think Zeftronics also supplies the hardware for putting the LEDs on your IP.

There wasn't much to know...  Over, under voltage and fault?  Getting the warning something is wrong in a timely fashion is the best part.

I ran out of voltage once, found out as the lights started to flicker on the radios.  That would be too late for an IMC flight...

The value of this depends on what you use it for and what else you have?

1) A JPI with settable alarms is pretty good...

2) a second battery is helpful...

3) flying VFR only... Minimizes the stress level 

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

I have had one of the original Zeftronics regulators for over 10 years for my generator.  I have had no problems. There is apparently a newer model Zeftronics on the market now with some added features. It has some diagnostic lights and voltage protections plus some other stuff. Any advice on if it would be worthwhile to upgrade?

+1 on over ten years and counting....I'm good until something wears out.  I have another generator ready to roll when time comes.  Doesn't fly in the plane though :)

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

My old C got a Zeftronics controller about the same time frame.  Check to see if yours has the outputs for the panel mounted LEDs.

the controller itself has the LEDs on it's case.  I think Zeftronics also supplies the hardware for putting the LEDs on your IP.

There wasn't much to know...  Over, under voltage and fault?  Getting the warning something is wrong in a timely fashion is the best part.

I ran out of voltage once, found out as the lights started to flicker on the radios.  That would be too late for an IMC flight...

The value of this depends on what you use it for and what else you have?

1) A JPI with settable alarms is pretty good...

2) a second battery is helpful...

3) flying VFR only... Minimizes the stress level 

Best regards,

-a-

Mine has no lights and no outputs. 

I think the original zeftronics units were simply solid state replacements of the old Delco electromechanical units.  Very reliable but no warnings or Over Voltage protection or diagnostics.  I have never heard of a generator having run away high voltage like alternators do?  Perhaps all I need is a low voltage alarm light on the panel that can be separate from the regulator?  I wonder how useful the diagbostic lights are?

Edited by Gary0747
  • Like 1

On August 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM, druidjaidan said:

Ooops I could have sworn I posted an update on Monday or Tuesday noting that I was all fixed up and on my way, but it was a hectic return flight so I might have missed hitting submit.

The repair was finished Monday mid morning.  A swapped out generator and I was on my way.  Interesting trip back with a squall line over North Dakota and high winds over the Rockies making us out down for the night a couple times.

Though the "lone plane in a field with trash swirling about" is a great description of what Oshkosh looks like on Monday ;)

It would have saved me a a day or so and a couple hundred dollars had I pushed back on the nonsense voltage regulator test he had me do (basically expecting the field terminal to have voltage, which it would have with an alternator).

If I'm not mistaken from high school auto shop, removing the field wire from a generator and grounding the stud with give generator output based solely on generator/ engine RPM.

Clarence

57 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

If I'm not mistaken from high school auto shop, removing the field wire from a generator and grounding the stud with give generator output based solely on generator/ engine RPM.

Clarence

Close.  Here's what I explained to him after his regulator test.

The regulator has some simple tests involving testing for a closed circuit at several points as well as a few others things you can test.  The generator is tested by measuring the voltage across the armature to ground.  It should hit 14v by 1500rpm.

His test did nothing.  It tested for voltage from field to ground. When master was turned on.  Basically testing it how you would an alternator.

Insight to my thought process...

I would be simply interested in knowing that:

1) it is working properly when I'm looking at it.  Voltmeter and ammeter work pretty well.  Digital can add additional use.

2) know when it is not working properly the moment it goes off line.  LEDs would work pretty well.  A JPI knowing it has gone out of the limits would be great.

3) Having the old Zeftronics without LEDs is pretty good compared to the older sticks, springs and stones device.

Trying to determine if it is worth it to swap out to get the additional advice....

1) the hardware cost is like $200.(?) The installation is as simple as it gets.  Swap the old for the new, wire the new LEDs in place.  Really easy if you have the access panels above like my old C.  Have your mechanic work with you for log signature. Resell the old device to the next person...

2) If flying IFR or at night, I want to be heading for the ground when the electricity stops being generated... I didn't like the one time I get a useful notification until when the battery was already depleted.

3) I have two batteries and a red light that tells me when the alternator is offline.  The red light is pretty noticeable.

4) I have many renditions of portable GPS on board so nav is less of a problem...

fun stuff...  Hope that helps.

Yes it is worth it to know if your energy source is failing.  How you get the notification depends on your budget.  How critical it is depends on how you fly, like at night or in IMC...

Best regards,

-a-

A panel mounted voltmeter is the best indication of your electrical system health.  Include it in your scan just like the vacuum gauge.  Some analyzers include voltage in their readout.  If the voltage goes below 14 and heads downward, you are running on what's left in your battery.  Time to shed load, especially at night.

BTW, my Zeftronics generator regulator is going on 20  years trouble free.

• Like 1

I second that, if you're flying an electric airplane, voltage and charging is very important. I had a field wire snap and go bad a couple years ago. Its VFR, I'm giving a guy a 201 checkout, so I turned off everything not necessary, such as the NAV/COM1 strobes,  and the transponder. We did some more air work then 3 landings, each with a gear cycle. After that was done we cranked it up 3 or 4 times troubleshooting.  IFR is a different story.